Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile signal keeps dropping

Wibblyp
Rising Star

Re: Mobile signal keeps dropping

Day 64

Here we are again. Tried contacting EE directly and after getting so far, it was clear that unless I had a mobile device registered to them, I would not be able to. Tried ringing, online chat, the usual unhelpful run around that is all to familiar to us all.

I've recently had a similar problem with my bank, Barclays, who blocked a payment for some reason. After online chats, calls routed via goodness knows where and terminated phone calls, they offered me £60 in compensation and I was just about to refuse the offer and got cut off again. I then rang First Direct in the hope of opening a new account. Took 3 mins before I was able to speak to a UK based operative and another ten to sort things out, sadly the account will not open until things change with corona virus workloads. Just goes to shows what service is available from some though.

On a positive note I've just received a private message from EE stating they will be escalating the issue and someone from the relevant department will be in touch. With baited breath, I await.

Have a fine weekend.

Paul

Wibblyp
Rising Star

Another message from EE, " the Executive Care Team will be looking into this". I note the judicious use of capital letters therein.

japitts
Rising Star

Credit to EE for dealing with your query, when they'd be well within their rights to refer you to PN if you're not a customer of theirs.

As regards the Executive Team, nuch depends on the exact nature of the issue with the site as to whether they will be able to do anything.

Wibblyp
Rising Star

Plusnet are unable to provide any information on EE's infrastructure. With EE having already notified me once that issue had been resolved, then to retract it 18hrs later does not fill me with much hope. If,as EE have stated, it indeed a hardware problem with the relay station, I can only surmise that there is a supply issue with whatever has failed.

It would indeed be helpful if EE were able to provide a more detailed report and a resolution time.

japitts
Rising Star

@Wibblyp wrote:

Plusnet are unable to provide any information on EE's infrastructure. With EE having already notified me once that issue had been resolved, then to retract it 18hrs later does not fill me with much hope. If,as EE have stated, it indeed a hardware problem with the relay station, I can only surmise that there is a supply issue with whatever has failed.

There are all manner of reasons why radio site repairs can be delayed, hardware supply issues are one. Access issues are another, and there's many others. EE have no reason to tell untruths or intentionally delay fixes.

@Wibblyp wrote:

It would indeed be helpful if EE were able to provide a more detailed report and a resolution time.

I would be absolutely gobsmacked if EE were to give any member of the public anything more detailed than what you have already been told. I don't mean this rudely, but you're not a customer of theirs and are effectively a member of the public. The resolution time will be "as soon as possible", and a more detailed report will be internal-only, for very good reasons.

Wibblyp
Rising Star

Those good reasons being ?

newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

"I would be absolutely gobsmacked if EE were to give any member of the public anything more detailed than what you have already been told. I don't mean this rudely, but you're not a customer of theirs and are effectively a member of the public."

I'm surprised EE have actually engaged with Wibblyp because they are a PNMobile customer (I assume?). Yes, PN use the EE network and I would have thought that, from the start, EE would have referred Wp to PN for contact and information?

japitts
Rising Star

@newagetraveller wrote:

I'm surprised EE have actually engaged with Wibblyp because they are a PNMobile customer (I assume?). Yes, PN use the EE network and I would have thought that, from the start, EE would have referred Wp to PN for contact and information?

That would be the correct and valid process for any MVNO customer, yes Smiley

Wibblyp
Rising Star

Day 71

Did my back. I will never underestimate or be condescending to others regarding this matter. 

Received a a phone call from EE and most interesting it was too. Had another helpful call from Ken Bryant also.

" Gobsmacked " and " Surprised " thou shalt be.

Courtesy of the back I get to watch cricket from bed and get my dinner cooked for me, wonders just continue. Unlike the cricket.

I have not had an issue with my phone signal for 3 days even though it is still an active issue on the EE website, long may it continue.

May the weekend bring you sunshine.

Wibblyp
Rising Star

Day 78

Cricket is looking a little better.

Greatest qualifying lap of all time by Lewis Hamilton last week ?

I've been chatting to a few people in the nearby village and it's surprising that a couple of them who are with EE are having the same problem as myself. They have not taken the problem any further, which is a shame as I would hope that if more others made EE aware of this problem, then it may get resolved quicker.

Paul

japitts
Rising Star

Depending of those people are pay-monthly or PAYG with EE, they may not have the same issues.

Remember EE PAYG & PlusNet users will be using the 2G & 3G networks for their voice calls, and 4G for data use only.

EE pay-monthly customers will be (handset-dependent) using the 4G network for their voice calls, and we don't know the exact nature of the fault in this area.

Paul has previously mentioned voice calls dropping which would suggest the issue is on the 2G/3G network, but this is presumption.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Wibblyp
Rising Star

Day 103

What an outstanding performance from England against Pakistan. Gives me hope that test cricket will continue for many more years.

You are correct Japitts if that were indeed the case. We live in a hamlet of 15 properties stretched over around a square mile. The hamlet is about 1/2 mile from a village with maybe a couple of thousand residents. Due to the lay of the land and position of providers masts, the whole area is in bit of a "nothing nowhere" zone. The 4g signal, for whatever reason, has the regularity of hedgehog poo. Historically, after having contracts with all the providers I settled on EE as being the best from a limited choice. This is also confirmed by the fact that my neighbours also use or piggyback EE.

I am fully resigned to living in an area that has these conditions. When a poor signal then degrades further, this is somewhat vexing. What I can not understand is how a fault can persist for so long. 

Perhaps someone can explain whether it's possible that 4g signals can interfere with voice calls ? Is it possible that increasing bandwidth in one section can effect another ? I wouldn't have thought so but I have limited knowledge of such things. Could it be that mast hardware is being pushed too hard ? I know that mast installations and maintenance are carried out by sub contractors, is it possible their workload is so great that a minor blip affecting such limited numbers is a long way down the schedule ? 

Either way, it is most tedious.

japitts
Rising Star

@Wibblyp wrote:

Perhaps someone can explain whether it's possible that 4g signals can interfere with voice calls ?

2G, 3G & 4G technologies are all quite capable of carrying voice calls

The fact that EE's MVNOs (PN included) don't have access to the VoLTE technology that allows for 4G-voice calls is a separate issue.

Wibblyp
Rising Star

I was thinking more on the lines of SRVCC issues therein.

japitts
Rising Star

@Wibblyp wrote:

I was thinking more on the lines of SRVCC issues therein.

Please elaborate. I'm lost as to what SRVCC has to do with your local coverage issues.