Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile data usage seems to be pretty high

Cagney1994
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Mobile data usage seems to be pretty high

Hi all

I'm paying for 1G data (along with free mins and texts), and it seems my mobile data usage is very high for something that shouldn't really be.

Just by watching a few minutes worth of Youtube on about 240p resolution, and already it's gone close to approx. 100MB.

That can't be right surely? - I've done the same on an 02 phone with their contract, and their data usage seems to be much slower; barely any MB used.

What could be going on?

7 REPLIES 7
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Mobile data usage seems to be pretty high

Youtube usage comes in at about 429MB per hour according to the following link, which may (or may not) account for your usage.

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/internet/mobile-data/data-usage-how-to-stay-within-your-monthly-allo...

Try 'Restricting background data' to make sure your apps aren't using up your allowance without you even realising it.

Cagney1994
Rising Star

@JayG - I've done what I can to restrict background data on literally every app on the phone, but sadly it hasn't really made any difference.

I've just watched a minute's worth of Youtube vid and already the data's gone down by 20 MB. Looks like I'll be ditching PN mobile for another network. This is pretty bad.

OliGaffney
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 7

Hi @Cagney1994, thanks for getting in touch.

If you seem to be using more data since you have joined us, this is likely to be something to do with the handset or its settings. Our data readings come directly from the SIM card and are accurate.

100mb of data is always the same amount, regardless of the network you are on.

Streaming any videos will use considerably more data than just browsing, on any network.

There's a chance that your data tracker isn't perfectly accurate, so I'd recommend keeping a close eye on your bills as they will have itemised daily usages which will be accurate to what has been used!

We can also set up bundle notifications, where we can send you a text once a day (or once a week!) with a run down of your usage.

If you'd like me to arrange this for you, just click onto my profile and send me a private message Smiley

Thank you

-Oli

Cagney1994
Rising Star

@OliGaffney - Thank you, but the data tracker I'm using is from within my PN mobile account. I tend to check it as soon as I've switched off mobile data from the phone.

Re. the settings on my phone; as mentioned in a previous post, I've restricted background data from YouTube. In fact, I've also put the PN sim in another phone and unfortunately I get the same result.

Not sure what else I can do. I've been really happy with PN broadband and phone in all the time I've had an account. If I could get the mobile side of things sorted, it'd be perfect.

I'll keep an eye out on the data usage and see if it improves.

Thanks again.
Cagney1994
Rising Star

Just a bit of an update. I downloaded a data app for my phone and the results do seem to tally with PN's.

Now I did the exact same thing for another phone on a different network (EE), and there seems to be a huge disparity between that network and PN's.

Watching 1 minute of Youtube via PN has taken 10MB. The same thing on the other phone EE's network and it's taken just 0.1MB.

I think there really is an issue in how PN determines how mobile data is measured.

I may have to certainly think twice in whether to stick with PN mobile. Their mins and texts are great; just a pity about their data side of things Sad
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

If the usage figure of 429MB/hour for YouTube quoted earlier in this thread is correct, your PlusNet usage of 10MB for one minute's viewing is far closer to the expected 7MB usage than the 0.1MB figure you have obtained.

I think you'd be better off watching Youtube and other streaming via Wi-Fi given your very small mobile data allowance.

Cagney1994
Rising Star

- I've just realised it may be to do with the phone one is using (as someone mentioned earlier). Apologies if I jumped to any conclusions in my last post or two.

I've done the same 'experiment' on an old phone and amazingly enough, hardly any data was used when watching Youtube.

In short, newer Samsungs use more data than their Apple counterparts. That's my theory anyway.