cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile data issues affect some Plusnet SIM cards but not all

BarN

Mobile data issues affect some Plusnet SIM cards but not all

TWO Plusnet Mobile SIM cards ordered on the same day (02/01/17), arrived on the same day (05/01/17), look identical, numbers ported on the same day (06/01/17) both from Tesco Mobile, installed in very similar Samsung Android 3G phones, used by husband and wife at the same address...

Mobile data works on one (phone 1, SIM card A) but not on the other (phone 2, SIM card B).  Swap the SIM cards between the phones and the data now works on phone 2 (SIM card A) but stops working on phone 1 (SIM card B), i.e. SIM card B is at fault, both phones are OK.

Interesting observations: Searching for Network Operators in phone settings, with SIM card A installed, the phone thinks it's connecting to Plusnet. With SIM card B installed, the phone thinks it's connecting to T-mobile (Plusnet doesn't appear in the list).  On first start-up having inserted SIM card B, the phone offers me a choice of SIM service - either Orange UK or LIFE Mobile.  With SIM card A, the default APN settings are named "Internet" = everywhere, and "MMS" = eezone.  With SIM card B, the default APN settings are named "Orange Broadband" = consumerbroadband, "Orange UK Internet" = orangeinternet, and "Orange UK MMS" = orangemms.  Both phones display "plusnet" as the network operator on the lock screen and status bar.

Plusnet Customer support suggestions... Switching phone off, removing + reinserting battery, removing + reinserting SIM, restarting several times, putting it into flight mode and back again, resetting to the default APN settings, and entering the APN settings manually from the Plusnet help web pages - ALL TRIED, NONE WORKED.

I think the issue has to be with the way SIM card B is configured, or the way the mobile network is configured to work with SIM card B.

I put this to their Technical Support via Online chat this morning, and was told they "are having problems with their data service at the moment, affecting some but not all customers. We're working on it." He said to wait until it's resolved. "Contact us again tomorrow if it's still not fixed."

This is now the 3rd day without mobile data.  My patience is wearing thin and I'm sure many others feel the same.

21 REPLIES 21
afzaal1988

Re: Mobile data issues affect some Plusnet SIM cards but not all

I have same issue as well. My plusnet sim only connects to orange mast (code 23433) and not t-mobile code(23430).

As soon as i put ee sim in my phone it connects to t-mobile (23430).

When its connecting to orange mast there is not 4g or 3g and i can't manually select t-mobile to get data.

cemmy074
Hooked

I dont same thing. I use ee phone and it comes life or ee select life and it shows 3g but not connection with internet. I tried other android phone no luck.andwhen i search select network manual it shows me plusnet 4g option but when i try to connect ot says network is not registered. I done all that things what customer service says but what i dont understand if it effects some sim why they disnt sort it until this time.this is not only 1 or 2 days problem..they told for yesterday ee fixed and today they said today before midnight it would fix. We ll see. Even they told me try another postcode.if it work im there should i move my house lol
adrens
Dabbler

A SIM my wife received last Friday (6/1/17) displays the same issues.

The SIM card has a 234 33 MCC MNC in the IMSI but I think plusnet is using 234 30 on the network.

Android phones will only show in the menu (and presumably use) the APN for the network the SIM card is programmed for - so I wonder if this is the issue.

You could download the Play Store app "SIM Card Manager" by Filip Rauchunek on both of your phones and see if the information differs? It shows a SIM Operator Code of 23433 and a Network Operator Code of 23430 on my wife's that doesn't work.

There are a lot of other threads about data not working and a replacement SIM often solves the issue. My wife has just called CS and got the same "our data network has problems since Friday" was told to wait but just asked for a new SIM and told one should be here in 2 days.

Selgovae
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Sorry to report my phone has a working SIM card and reports in "SIM Card Manager" a SIM Operator Code of 23433 and a Network Operator Code of 23430.
adrens
Dabbler

Thanks for checking Selgovae - rules out that as a simple check - still problems and lots of threads about it but no recognition by plusnet as to what the exact problem and fix is.

There are so many similar issues but the only thing plusnet are saying are there are network issues - which doesn't quite seem to fit.

neilmcl

i have the same issues so i contacted customer support and was told the engineers would have it fixed by midnight last night .tried again this morning and same problems 

BarN

I am now on day 5 with Plusnet Mobile and still no mobile data.  I telephoned this morning and although my case is with the network engineers for investigation there were no updates and still no estimated time for resolution.

So I have requested my PAC code to switch to another network operator.  My Virgin mobile SIM card is on its way.

What a waste of time!  I'm sorry to have had such a disappointing experience with Plusnet.

SeeriousGlen

...Know this is an old Topic, but Just Opened my PlusNET Sim after using up my Old Freebies from Last Network, Had the same issue, no mobile internet and registering as PlusNET Carrier but ORANGE on the Sim APN's, after a bit of messing about solved the issue, here are my settings (My Phone is Rooted, can't remember if you can add APN's on Non-Rooted, but Give a Try):

ANDROID PHONE 4G

Settings->More->Mobile Networks->Access Point Names->[Plus Button in Top Right Corner to Add APN]

Name: EE Internet

APN: Everywhere

APN Type: default,mms,wap

Username: eesecure         Password:secure

MMSC: http://mms/

MMS Proxy: 149.254.201.135      MMS Port: 8080

MCC: 234            MNC:33

Authentication Type: PAP or CHAP

APN Protocol: ipv4/ipv6           APN Roaming Protocol: ipv4/ipv6

Bearer: Unspecified

[Remember to SAVE the APN Before Exiting]

Phone shows 3G connection after modifying settings, but it's actually 4G, as speedtest shows 5.42MB/s Download & 1.36MB/s Upload between UK and NETHERLANDS Server and 8.32MB/s DL & 1.37MB/s UL UK to UK server

Hope it works and helps anyone finding this Topic

tomo66

Plusnet still getting these issues.I've read you've resolved this, untrue. Im into my second month but only now know I have one of these dodgy sim cards as I had 4g at the beginning of month 1 used within 1 week waited for next allowance and like I said no data. Calls and texts yes only no data. Ordered 3 Sims at same time arrived at same time other 2 Sims fine except here. Rang Plusnet usual scripted pointless garb, waiting on a new sim not hopeful if same back to 02
be_jayuk

Thanks a lot for this information. I had exactly the same problem with the APN coming up as an Orange SIM. After hours on the phone to customer services, who claim not to know about this problem and 4 new SIMs, which seems to be their only "solution" and having tried the standard EE and Plusnet APNs manually (no use), I tried this APN and it worked. Yeah!

mkstevo
Grafter

Just to say thanks to SeeriousGlen. Been battling with my new PlusNet 4G SIM for a few hours, wondering why I couldn't get any data connections, nor on my 'old' Virgin 3G SIM. Finally searched the internet (through WiFi) found your answer, two minutes later, data working again. It could be partly that I'm moving from Virgin 3G (running on EE) to PlusNet 4G (running on EE) and have both SIMs in one device. Maybe that isn't the cause, but your answer got me working.

Thanks again, I appreciate your help.

MikeAustin
Dabbler

I have just joined Plusnet Mobile and my sim worked for both voice and data for a day or so - until my old T-Mobile number was ported. Since porting, I can get no data although voice is OK. I tried setting up an APN following Plusnet's web help without success. I have also tried the above settings without success. I have tried downloading Plusnet's settings via the internet without success. I have tried the sim in another phone without success.

I have a 3 data sim that immediately installs in either phone via an automatic download of settings - but not so the Plusnet sim. I have checked the sim using the sim card manager app and note that the sim operator code is 23433 and the network operator code is 23430. The network type is HSPA. The 3 data sim is also HSPA, but the two operator codes are the same - 23420.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Have Plusnet dipped into their stack of faulty sims again?

Tags (1)
BDY

I just joined, mine worked in my iPhone until porting, then voice works, no data. Tried reseting APN and manual configuration to recommended settings no good.

I am being sent a new sim, if that does not work I will port back to GiffGaff...

MikeAustin
Dabbler

I am being sent a new sim also. It should arrive before my initial 14 days are up. If it does not work, or if the new sim does not arrive, I am cancelling.