cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile data cuts out when making a call

nanos
Hooked

Mobile data cuts out when making a call

I first noticed this a few days ago: I have no mobile data while making a phone call. Is that now expected behaviour with plusnet? (I have a Galaxy S6, but the same happens with my old Moto E)

4 REPLIES 4
mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Mobile data cuts out when making a call

It maybe that 4G voice calling is disabled on the handset or not supported by the Plusnet mobile network.

The technical name for it is VoLTE (Voice over LTE) sometimes branded as hd voice.

If this is the case then the handset will fall back to 3G or 2G when making calls. When it falls back to 2G you will lose high speed data.
mikelahey
Pro

I've just searched these forums and the official line is that Plusnet don't support VoLTE, so that is probably the reason you are losing data during a call.

See this thread:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/Voice-over-LTE/td-p/1390511
nanos
Hooked

It's obvioulsy entirely possible that I'm missing something here, but I don't think that would explain it. From what I understand regarding VoLTE (I know PN doesn't support this), 3G, 2G etc the expected behaviour is this:

When making a call (and currently connected to a 4G network) my mobile will downgrade to 3G or 2G (depending on availability) for the duration of the call. During the call any data will go through the 3G or 2G network.

Now, this would lead to significant speed losses (especially in the case of 2G) but data connection would still be there, right?

What I'm observing (or rather: was observing, see below) is that mobile data access is completely lost. No network traffic is possible at all, including ping, DNS requests, or anything else. 

Weirdly, since this morning I can no longer reproduce this issue. Sure enough the network downgrades to 3G (or 2G) but I can ping, make DNS requests, and generally use the internet while making calls. Maybe some network issues earlier this week? I will keep observing this, but hopefully this is all fixed now...

mikelahey
Pro

I was going off, from when I had a Nexus 5 handset that wouldn't access the internet at all when on 2G. Sometimes it would take a while to reconnect to 4G after a voice call.

BT & EE both had network outages yesterday from around 9am to 3pm so it may be that the network outages caused your issue.