cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Data disconnected - impossible to resolve

zebra1977
Hooked

Mobile Data disconnected - impossible to resolve

There is a massive system setup data problem with PlusNet Mobile, which isn't listed in the T&Cs or communicated to customers.

I've been unable to find out from PlusNet staff why the setup is like this, or why it's kept quiet.

I've been without mobile data for 36 hours, despite buying a Bolt-On 7 hours after I ran out.

If you run out of included data (the text to warn me I had 80% left arrived 8 hours late, as did the one stating I'd run out) and buy a Bolt-On, the new data won't be available until after midnight. So it's impossible to maintain continuous mobile data access if this happens. And then you have to ask a staff member to switch your data back on, so there's yet another delay.

Why? And why isn't this clearly stated in the T&Cs?

2 REPLIES 2
MarcJohnson
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Mobile Data disconnected - impossible to resolve

Good afternoon!

I'll just confirm how this works for you. Smiley

When you're all out of mobile Internet data, then the first time you go into excess on each day, we automatically add-on 250MB of data. This lasts for 24 hours, and prevents us activating a Bolt-On before the following midnight. However, if you haven't yet gone into excess on the day you get a Bolt-On, that Bolt-On will be active for you within two hours.

Data use is totalled for your account at midnight each night, then alerts will be issued by our messaging systems the next morning.

When you do run into excess data, that automatic 250MB we apply each day is charged against your Smart Cap, as would be Bolt-Ons. You would need to contact us to get a Bolt-On, or if you hit your Smart Cap, but not otherwise.

Our Terms of Service (https://www.plus.net/help/legal/mobile-terms/#serviceTerms) don't break-down how all our systems and processes are going to work, and indeed those can be subject to change, but we do state that while we aim to provide a continuous service, we cannot guarantee it.

I'm sorry if this isn't the way you would expect to have to manage excess data for your needs - it was designed with the priority of avoiding unintended larger bills for our customers. I hope it's clearer now how that will work, and don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions! Smiley

zebra1977
Hooked

Re: Mobile Data disconnected - impossible to resolve

This is just not good enough Marc. Don't you think that this is vital to communicate to your customers:

When you're all out of mobile Internet data, then the first time you go into excess on each day, we automatically add-on 250MB of data. This lasts for 24 hours, and prevents us activating a Bolt-On before the following midnight.

• If your staff could override this block on my intentional, specific instruction, then I wouldn't have a problem, but they say they can't.
  • If the My Account 'Your Current Usage' data was accurate I wouldn't have a problem, but it isn't. Mine is currently incorrect.
  • If you sent timely text messages alerting to customers they have 80% data left, I wouldn't have a problem, but you don't.
  • If your Bolt-On T&Cs explained the above, I wouldn't have a problem, but it doesn't. It says ' You can add a bolt-on at any time but it can take a few hours to activate. We’ll normally send you a text letting you know when it’s ready to use.' I took that at face value and received that text, but couldn't use the data. Two of your staff didn't even know.

And Marc, you've missed out some vital information from this '...while we aim to provide a continuous service, we cannot guarantee it.' The T&Cs actually state:

5.2. We aim to provide a continuous, high-quality service but we can’t guarantee that it'll be available all the time and we won’t be responsible for a lack of, or limited, network coverage due to:

... and then there is a list of 5 specific exceptions, and this situation isn't one of them.

If I had known this was the situation before moving to you from GiffGaff, I wouldn't have bothered. And I'm moving back to them for this very reason.