cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Android OTA updates

Natasha

Missing Android OTA updates

I recently had to replace my Moto G (3rd Gen) phone and the replacement was shipped with Android 5, when I go to settings to force an OTA update it reports I am up to date as far as your network is concerned.

Given that there are now versions of Android 7 out there for some network customers you seem to be very far behind. Before I moved to you I was with EE and they had the Android 6 update out months ago, my phone is now stuck in the past without the important privacy controls that Android 6 brings.

When are you expecting to offer it or is it simply better that I put another more up to date operators SIM card in my phone to get the update I need?

9 REPLIES 9
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Missing Android OTA updates

Is the phone locked or unlocked?
Natasha

Morning,

Thank you for your reply.

My phone is an unlocked phone bought from Amazon.  When I visited the Motorola site for the phone it asks you what provider I am with, but Plustnet isn't listed. All Motorola websites say that they have completed their roll out of 6 and they are working on 7.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

if it's sim free then then it doesn't matter which provider you're with the OTA update should come directly from motorola.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

There's a long thread here https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/447/thread-id/6724/page/1 on the Motorola forums about some 3rd Gen phones not receiving updates. Mostly that relates to not getting the 6.0.0 to 6.0.1 update.

@Natasha If your phone is still on an Android 5.x version then it will not update directly to the current 6.0.1. If Motorola have removed the 5.x.x to 6.0.0 update from their OTA site then your phone will never update. I think you need to register on the Moto forums and ask there how to get your phone to update.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

@Natasha

When I visited the Motorola site for the phone it asks you what provider I am with, but Plustnet isn't listed. 

I'd select the EE version myself.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

My phone is an unlocked phone bought from Amazon.

If that is the case then you should select 'Retail' version.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

I didn't know that was an option myself but I'd say we have a winner.

Is it just to do with the 'added bonus' guff that the carriers like to bundle in?

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Yes, their 'value added' bloatware the firmware from providers usually arrive several months after the retail versions.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Natasha

Hello

Thank you very much MisterW.