cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Misleading information from Plusnet Retentions Dept and Website has left me totally confused

janaltus
Dabbler

Misleading information from Plusnet Retentions Dept and Website has left me totally confused

I've been with Plusnet Mobile for a few years now. I paid £5 a month for unlimited texts, 1000 minutes talk and 1.5 GB of data per month until last Spring when that went up to £5.32.

Earlier this month I was tempted by a "Blagged" offer on MoneySavingExpert for Plusnet for 8 GB of data plus unlimited text and talk, for £8.00 a month (plus a £30 reward card, working out at £5.50 a month).

On February 17th I spoke with Plusnet, a main call handler followed by Retentions, explaining that I'm thinking of moving, and I'd like to know their best deal. They offered £6.00 for 3GB data which is pretty bad in comparison with Lebara, etc.

I mentioned the MSE Blagged Deal and asked if they could offer that and Retentions said: "No, that deal is ONLY available if you take Broadband with Plusnet too." Clearly Plusnet Retentions department was giving out grossly misleading information.

I went onto the Plusnet website and, seeing no restrictions (having to be a Broadband customer, etc), I enrolled onto the MoneySavingExpert blagged Plusnet deal. I paid the initial fee (£10?) and followed the online instructions until it gave instructions about number porting. I tried to port from my existing Plusnet account to the new one and was told there was a technical problem and to call 500 to submit a new request.

I did so and it was explained that it was not possible to port from one Plusnet account to another. As retaining my mobile phone number is absolutely essential (I've had it for many decades and I'm called by many vulnerable people) it can not be changed. Therefore, it was suggested I just stay with my existing account. I asked if the new MSE blagged deal could be cancelled and I was informed that it could and that Plusnet would write to me to confirm that it was cancelled.

Since then I have received numerous emails and text messages saying "We're sad that you're thinking of leaving us." I don't want to leave and I've been told repeatedly by Plusnet operators that I'm not leaving.

On February 19th I received this bizarre email: "Hello John, Welcome to Plusnet Mobile.
We’re thrilled to have you on board, with friendly UK customer service and brilliant 4G coverage through the EE network, we hope you enjoy being part of the family.
As your new SIM’s now active, here’s some handy info that’ll help you get the most out of it.
Don't lose that number
Want to keep your trusty old phone number? It’s the one you’re known by, after all, and hanging on to it (or porting it, in techie-talk) couldn’t be simpler:
1. Text PORT to 07507307996 free from your new Plusnet SIM.
2. Reply to our message with the number you want to keep and your PAC code.
3. In a couple of working days we’ll reunite you with your old number."

It appears I was misled by Plusnet's Retentions Dept and now I've been mis-sold a contract Plusnet can not fulfil (I've since been told the MSE deal was not supposed to be available for existing Plusnet customers) and I now do not want the MSE contract anyway.

Please, please, please, can someone confirm that I can just continue with my existing £5.32 contract and that the MSE Blagged contract (which I've since been told was not available for existing Plusnet customers) will just go away?

I've now spoken with four people at Plusnet who were all very pleasant and friendly. And all four of them have assured me that the new contract was cancelled and I'd get an email to confirm this. But I've yet to receive confirmation in writing.  All the written information contradicts this.

Can this be fixed? Or do I have to escalate this to the Complaints Department? And if so, do you have email contact details please?  (I have given up speaking with Plusnet staff, as it has proved fruitless to date.)

Kind regards,

J

30 REPLIES 30
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Misleading information from Plusnet Retentions Dept and Website has left me totally confused

@janaltus 

You can’t email a complaint, follow the procedure here https://www.plus.net/help/legal/complaints-code-of-practice/ This will raise a ticket.

If you follow this forum you will see that the Plusnet billing system is a shambles and trying to defeat it by transferring your service to yourself is just asking for trouble.

The risk now is that both accounts get cancelled and you lose your phone number.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Misleading information from Plusnet Retentions Dept and Website has left me totally confused

Not sure how far a complaint will go, you can;t port a number from the same provider.

The emails and letters would just be a delayed result of you trying to take up the offers - these things take time.

Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

I imagine that the offers for existing customers can be different than for new customers which seems to be normal in a lot of industries. 

As far as I’m aware from reading a post around here, attempting to transfer a Plusnet mobile to another Plusnet mobile breaks the system and both numbers are lost. 

Does your own number still work?

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @jalantus

I'm very sorry for the poor experience that you've had in regards to your mobile renewal and that you haven't yet received confirmation that the new contract is cancelled. If you send me the following over on a private message I can look into this from here. Please drop another comment on this thread after you've sent the PM so that we can ensure this is picked back up:

- Your full name

- Your full address, including the postcode

- Your mobile number and the mobile number linked to the new MSE account(if you have it to hand)

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

"you can't port a number from the same provider."

Correct re "porting" (i.e.PAC), but with Lebara you can transfer a number, but only by contacting their customer services.

If they can do it maybe others can too?

janaltus
Dabbler

Dear Emily

Re: "Please drop another comment on this thread after you've sent the PM so that we can ensure this is picked back up"

Thank you for your response.  Sorry for the tardy reply, I have been rather unwell and hospitalised this past week.

I have sent you a PM with the information you requested.

Looking forward to hearing from you

Kind regards,

J

abails0105
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 60

Thanks for getting back to us @janaltus

Would you also be able to confirm via private message:

- date of birth

- characters 4 and 5 from your security question 'first holiday destination'

Thanks

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alice Baillie
 Plusnet Help Team
janaltus
Dabbler

Hi Alice,

Thank you for looking into this and for finding that the account (which I was told I could NOT have because I am already an existing customer) is still showing as active rather than cancelled (which I have attempted to cancel FOUR times by phone).

I appreciate that cancelling mobile accounts is one of the few things you're unable to process on this system.  However your recommendation, that I contact the Mobile Cancellations Team seems futile.

As I stated in my initial posting, "I've now spoken with four people at Plusnet who were all very pleasant and friendly. And all four of them have assured me that the new contract was cancelled and I'd get an email to confirm this. But I've yet to receive confirmation in writing.  All the written information contradicts this."

I asked ... do I have to escalate this to the Complaints Department? And if so, do you have email contact details please? 

I repeat ... I have given up speaking with Plusnet staff, as it has proved fruitless to date.

Please can you furnish me with an email?

Kind regards,

J

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, I'm sorry to disappoint but we don't provide any support over email. However if you can leave this with me we'll need to take a listen to the calls. I'll make sure that gets looked at as soon as possible, it may take a day or two if you're OK to bear with me. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Is there some confusion coming in here.  From the OP:

Since then I have received numerous emails and text messages saying "We're sad that you're thinking of leaving us." I don't want to leave and I've been told repeatedly by Plusnet operators that I'm not leaving.

Is the "sorry you're leaving" for the MSE account, and then since it's been said that they aren't leaving then the cancellation has been cancelled?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

janaltus
Dabbler

You are right, PJMarsh, there's been lots of confusion.  Unfortunately the "sad that you're thinking of leaving us" messages were related to my existing Plusnet account, which I want to retain.  

If the "sad that you're thinking of leaving us" messages were related to the MSE Account (which I've been told I can't have because it is only for new customers) I would be delighted!

janaltus
Dabbler

Hi Adam,

Thank you for your response and thank you for offering to take a look at this.  I am sorry Plusnet does not offer the opportunity to resolve issues by email.  This puts disabled people, such as myself, at a particular disadvantage.  I am happy to exhaust this procedure with you, before taking it forward to the ombudsman.  I look forward to hearing from you, J

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks, that's no problem. I imagine we should get some feedback on the calls early next week so I'll get back to you as soon as that comes through.

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
janaltus
Dabbler

Hi Adam, Last week you kindly offered to get some feedback and imagined it would be by early this week. It's now Thursday and I'm wondering if you have heard anything yet?

Kind regards,

J