Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Misleading borderline deceitful advertising

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Misleading borderline deceitful advertising

I have just received a very nice email:

"We’re really chuffed to have you with us, so when we chose some customers for a very special Plusnet Mobile offer, we thought you should be one of them. It’s better than the usual generous offering of more mobile for less. It’s our little thank-you because we love having you around."

Takes me to:

https://www.plus.net/mobile/deals/julybboffer1-5gb?utm_source=Adestra&utm_medium=email&utm_content=V...

1.5Gb, 500mins, 1000 texts = £5

However, 1.5Gb, 1000mins and 1000 texts is available to every man and his dog for £5

https://plus.net/mobile/deals/5/1-5gb/huk/jul17

My mum got the message above and nearly signed up because it implied she had been singled out for special treatment!

Be ashamed Plusnet and cut it out. 

PT

8 REPLIES 8
RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Re: Misleading borderline deceitful advertising

Hi PhyllisTyne!

Thanks for getting in touch with us!

I'm sorry that this has caused some slight confusion, I have just looked into this and I can clarify a few things.

The link in which you have received via your email, is sent directly to Broadband customers and is not advertised via our website. The only 1.5GB data plan we have advertised on the website is for £6 per month. 

If you would like to a take a look at this, you can find our plans over at https://www.plus.net/mobile/plans/sim-only/.

There are some plans advertised via external websites which may, when clicked on, re-direct back to a single Plusnet mobile advertisement page. This page cannot be found by visiting our main mobile site, as the offer is only available by first visiting the external site and choosing the specific advertised tariff there. 

I hope this helps PhyllisTyne! If you have further questions, don't hesitate to get in touch and I'll do my best to help!

- Rebeka Smiley

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Those adverts for better deals can be found by a simple google search and irrespective of whether they are not listed on your site it does not detract from the fact that you are purporting to offer current customers 'special' deals when they are worse than can be accessed by anyone else.

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm sorry you feel this way PhyllisTyneWe send out these offers to our customers, as some aren't aware of existing deals that can be found on external websites, or in some cases, wouldn't like to trust an external site other than visiting www.plus.net direct. 

We certainly wouldn't want our customers to miss out on an opportunity, so we like to offer the best possible deal available, direct from ourselves. 

- Rebeka 

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

So why don't you offer them the best deal you offer irrespective of the route to get to it. Current customers at least deserve that. Even if I go to the link in the email and click on 'no I am not' a customer, the deal is no worse!

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

Sorry, but every single company do deals through various external companies such as Hot UK Deals or the cashback sites such as Topcashback or Quidco. It's down to yourself to find the best deal that suits you, although I'd recommend the MSE forums for a good starting point.

You don't even need to accept the offered deal, if you see a good offer on Sky for instance you can talk to them and possibly get an even better deal.

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The deal that was offered can only be found via the email link sent and it is not available on our direct site for that price. It is exclusive only to existing broadband customers however, all customers, whether they have broadband or not, are more than welcome to check out our website for any current plans. If a customer requests, we'll be more than happy to change the tariff to one that is available and more suitable.

- Rebeka 

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

@Colin_Maybe that's not my point. Many customers, my mother included may be under the impression that they are being offered a preferential deal due to the wording of the email sent out by PN. She is not up to searching around for deals. fortunately I am. I just happen to think its all a bit disingenuous.

Anyway, rant over.

PT

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I got same message, and thought not anything to shout about that rate.