cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mis-selling

pilchard

Mis-selling

You know when the Plusnet contract ends, and you have to either renew or go somewhere else... and you don't, cos despite the monthly bill escalating crazily, you keep forgetting? They rely on that don't they? It's a nice little earner for them. My excuse was that I kept thinking I'd move over to BT... Plusnet/BT are the only game in town where I live and Plusnet is so slow that 18 years ago I had dial-up speeds better than what I now have with Plusnet.

Well, I eventually got cold-called by Plusnet and he got round to talking about my mobile contract with TalkMobile and how Plusnet could give me a better data package, as I was a customer. So I said yes... to both a new home phone/internet package, plus the mobile one.

No-one mentioned coverage.

My Talkmobile account closed and, despite the phone line going inactive for rather along time, my Plusnet account failed to open... or so it seemed. I called Plusnet and they suggesting that the local transmitter had been down/under repair.

No-one mentioned coverage.

Days later I made contact again and they had me jumping through techie hoops with phone settings for a fair while,  yet in the end admitted that the problem was that my home must be out of EE signal range, that I should have been made aware of this, and that my case would be escallated.

My previous mobile provider went through Vodafone, and although signal at home (my default location) was poor, it did actually function. I've found that the EE signal from Plusnet is completely absent from every room in my house, including the loft. 30 to 50 metres away I get one bar, but still have to walk further to send/recieve a text.

Now, unknown to me, at the same time I dumped themTalknet were just about to offer me 5 times my previous data for half what I'd been paying because they were being subsumed by Vodafone and were enticing existing customers to take out new Vodafone contracts.

So Talkmobile failed to stop me leaving them by telling me about the amazingly better deal... and Plusnet failed to prevent me joining by telling me I'd have no signal.

For days I've been waiting for a call from someone in the Damage Limitation Dept., and despite me constantly pestering them.... nothing but empty promises.

Someone please give me a reason for not scrapping... purely out of vengeance and spite... not just this mobile contract, but my very long standing internet/phone contract with Plusnet.

21 REPLIES 21
LivRobinson
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Mis-selling

Hi pilchard

Thank you for getting in touch! I am so sorry to hear you haven't had the best experience so far! I assure you our advisors strive for 100% customer satisfaction in every call, so it's not great to hear we fell short on this occasion Sad.

I am more than happy to help with anything to do with your mobile account, but must advise you head over to https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/bd-p/Broadband for anything to do with your broadband.

Generally speaking, we cannot guarantee signal availability in all areas due to various factors such as the density of building materials, tree cover, weather conditions and how many other people are using the network. With this being said, however, you should have been advised on the general signal strength in your area when signing up, so I will definately raise this with the relevant team! You can also check the coverage yourself here:  https://www.plus.net/mobile/coverage-checker/

I would like to investigate this further for you and make sure that we do everything we possibly can to turn this experience around! To enable me to do this, could you please send me a private message with your full name and full address, including postcode, so that I can access your account? Smiley

Thanks,
Liv

Liv Robinson
 Plusnet Help Team
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

and the fact that the checker is just plain wrong in many cases

Compare this for my location

From EE Checker

EE Result.jpg

and that is dependent is dependent on the 800MHz band in my location which Plusnet don't offer

and this is the Plusnet result when in fact there isn't any 4G coverage with Plusnet as the 1800MHz band is weak

Plusnet EE.jpg

LivRobinson
Aspiring Pro

Hi 

Liv Robinson
 Plusnet Help Team
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

and 800MHz for 4G Smiley

@LivRobinson unless something has changed very recently then I don't think that is correct!

EE don't allow MVNO access to the 800mhz band.

See this thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/G4-enabled-and-available-but-can-t-get-data-connection/td-p/146...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LivRobinson
Aspiring Pro

Hi 

"EE provide functions that include the likes of short codes, double 4G, and WiFi calling - however, Plusnet mobile are a separate entity entirely to EE. Although we do use the EE mast system and network, we are a separate company and therefore, do not support all the services that EE have to offer. However, except for those EE services which we do not provide, our coverage checker will be as accurate as the EE coverage checker.

As an MVNO that use the 800MHZ 4G frequency provided by EE, we cannot always provide the full services/ signal strength that is provided on a higher frequency band. We use the EE coverage checker, as this covers the 800MHZ in which we provide, in order to access our services.

The coverage checker provided by EE, is an estimated area checker and cannot guarantee full signal accessibility to the service; due to many factors such as the density of building materials, tree cover, weather conditions and how many other people are using the network"

I hope this clears things up a bit Smiley
Liv

Liv Robinson
 Plusnet Help Team
Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

@LivRobinson I'm afraid that it doesn't particularly clear things up for me at least, the thread you linked has more posts after @SeanCorri 's which would seem to disagree including this one: http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/news/industry/44030/exclusive-ee-mvnos-miss-out-on-800mhz-switch-on.asp... which has EE themselves stating that only they have access to the 800Mhz band (and only on certain handsets bought from temselves at that). They do state that this 'may' change in the future but nothing I've seen would suggest that it has so far. PN customers (myself anyway) only appear to have access to the 1800Mhz band (I've checked many times).

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@LivRobinson as @Colin_Maybe says , no it doesn't clear things up. As @Colin_Maybe I have never been able to connect to the 800mhz band even though my phone supports it.

The 800 MHz band us ONLY available to devices able to support VoLTE and since PN ( and other MVNO s) don't support this then they can't use this band. The reason for this restriction, as I understand it, is to avoid the situation where calls cannot be received even though a good 4g signal but poor 3g signal is present. I'm sure you're aware that , on 4g without VoLTE, when an incoming call is seen, the handset is signalled to switch to 3g. If the 3g signal is poor then this switch can fail or take too long and thus the call is dropped. This is an embarrassing situation for a mobile phone system not to be able to place calls!!. This is avoided by forcing the handset to be restricted to connecting to a band where the 2g/3g  coverage is as good as the 4g.

I suggest you recheck your facts about PN having access to the 800 MHz band...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

I find it quite alarming that this mis-information continues to be output by the PN help team despite several long threads on the topic and input from well informed users like @Oldjim; @MisterW; @Colin_Maybe and others.

A real need for clarification of the current situation on the 800 MHz service, VoLTE and 4g.  Potential liability for mis-selling claims? 

@PlusnetLiam  can you shed your light on this please  Angel

pilchard

These are the results I get from the Ofcom checker, which actually pinpoints my house and gives indoor results.

Voice 3G 4G
EE Poor Poor Poor
O2 Poor Poor Poor
Vodafone Good Good Good
Three Poor Poor Poor

This is from EE which just gives results on centre of postcode.

YOUR DETAILED COVERAGE REPORT

2G, 3G and 4G results

4G

For internet and calls

Stay on 4G even when you’re on a call with 4G Calling, so your internet never slows down (4G Calling requires a compatible phone and EE pay monthly plan).

Good outdoor coverage, variable indoor coverage

4G
Double speed 4GEE
4G+

UNLEASH THE NETWORK

Experience the full potential of our expanding 4G network with 4G Calling. Make crystal clear HD voice calls in places you couldn’t before. One of the great new features available on our Best on EE phones.

See phones that are Best on EE >

3G

For internet, calls & texts

Handles internet in areas without 4G as well as all your calls and texts for phones.

Good outdoor coverage, weak or no indoor coverage

2G

For calls & texts

Handles all your calls and texts for phones.

Good outdoor coverage, variable indoor coverage

This is what the Plusnet checker says... again, just centeing on my postcode.

Fast mobile internet
Fast internet download and browsing, play games online and watch videos.

GOOD

Mobile internet
Browse the internet faster, make calls, send texts and picture messages and access emails.

MODERATE

Voice, text and email
Make calls, send texts and picture messages, access emails and browse the internet.

I live in a very rural part of Cumbria where postcodes can cover quite large areas, and within that area can be significant variations in both terrain and signal blocking stone buildings.

But if Ofcom can give exact location results... which are accurate... why are EE and Plusnet not doing the same? I think I know why...... any guesses?

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Hi All,

Thanks for your input into this thread regarding our operating frequency. As the topic of this thread has caused some discussion and doubt surrounding the frequency used by Plusnet Mobile, I have escalated this once again for an official response due to users’ investigative work. I apologise for any inconvenience that this may have caused, and can assure you we now have full clarification that we operate on 1800MHz.

I understand we have previously advised of our 800MHz frequency band for 4G, and I can only apologise for our confusion in the matter.

The Team here in the Mobile department would like to extend a thank you to our Community friends, as all of your investigating and hard work has really helped in getting to the bottom of this.

- Rebeka

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

@RebekaPreston Good to see this issue has been resolved, 

I have escalated this once again for an official response due to users’ investigative work.

Although i think it's fairly bad of a mobile operator to not know what bands they run on. Even worse this information has had to be escalated twice to get the correct answer. 

I assume the PN coverage checker, gives coverage also for the 800MHz frequency band if so, is the coverage checker going to be changed, as not to mislead customers?

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

@ITWorks If you read @RebekaPreston 's post again I don't think it has been resolved. @LivRobinson did post earlier but it seems to have been deleted while they check further.

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

@Colin_Maybe Ah yes having re-read the post ( i should read a little slower sometimes), it does appear they are still investigating.

Also suggests it has been sorted "as all of your investigating and hard work has really helped in getting to the bottom of this." 

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Thanks @RebekaPreston  at last after a lot of 'push back' from respected technical contributors within the Community a sensible result.

I'll also pick up on @ITWorks comment that the coverage map needs updating to omit the 800 MHz coverage as it could be very misleading to potential customers.