cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving PlusNet - Billing Period Query

FIXED
scwebb

Leaving PlusNet - Billing Period Query

I’m about to switch my mobile provider from PlusNet to another operator. I’ve received the PAC code and started the transfer to the new provider.

Tomorrow is the last billing day of my current cycle with PlusNet, but the new provider won’t go live till Monday. Will I be paying for a full month extra with PlusNet because of the 4 day delay, or will it be pro-rated?

6 REPLIES 6
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Leaving PlusNet - Billing Period Query

According to this it has to be pro-rated https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/features-and-news/text-to-switch-simple-to-switch-mobile...

The second biggest hurdle is when customers want to avoid paying their old and new mobile companies at the same time. Just under a third of customers find this difficult.

So, from Monday, we have banned mobile providers from charging for notice periods that run after the switch date. This will save UK mobile customers a combined £10m each year.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
scwebb

I’d read that but it seems a little unclear. It says they can’t charge for a notice period, but there is no notice period. I’m on a 30-day contract so I can leave whenever I want. The problem is whether they can charge for the full billing cycle (i.e. one month) or whether they can only charge for the days I was still with them. I’d like to think it’s the latter, but I’m not convinced.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Fix

Hi @scwebb, thanks for your post.

There's a 30 day notice period if you were just cancelling the service (regardless of contract length) - it isn't applicable to utilising a PAC.

With regards your bill - you'll be charged for the days that you've used and NOT another full months service. If for any reason the bill generates, you pay it but then port a couple of days later, you'd be issued with a pro-rata refund.

I hope this clears things up a bit but if you do need anything else please don't hesitate to drop us another post.

scwebb

Thanks very much 👍

RobC
Pro
Fixes: 3

PN didn't refund mine pro-rata and the credit sat showing in my online account for a few months until it just vanished into PN's (or someones) pocket other than mine where it belongs.

Mind you they messed up the port out part of the move just like they messed up the port in..

So situation normal ....

Waiting for PN's similar to  EE billing issue to roll out from ofcom and PN have to send cheques out to God knows how many customers like EE have.

Show us ONE just ONE real, defined benefit for the British public from Brexit

Brexit Promised cake .... But just delivers a stream of Cack
... and expects us all to just swallow it
Brexit - Built from Bovine Manure by Bots
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@RobC Feel free to PM me your account details and I'd be happy to look into what happened

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet