cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just using a sim for 30 days

machare
Rising Star

Just using a sim for 30 days

I want to have a 30 day Sim and just use it for 30 days.  Is this possible and what is the best way of doing this?

Could I order the Sim online, then when it arrives make sure that it is active and works in a phone and then ring the

the mobile support team on 0800 079 1133 and request a cancellation.  Would the Sim then work for the next 30 or so days.

I am a broadband customer but I don't want the Sim sent to the address where I have the broadband service.

8 REPLIES 8
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Just using a sim for 30 days

Hi there,

What you’ve said would work fine, when you call us you’ll be able to specify a date you’d want your mobile service cancelling on.

These accounts are also handled by a different system to a broadband account so the address doesn’t have to be the same, but we’ll send the SIM to the address you specify during the signup process (normally your home address).

I believe the address is also used for the credit check although if you tell us your broadband username when you sign up we won’t credit check you.

I hope this helps. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Personally I would look at the likes of Smarty, Voxi  or GiffGaff rather than getting involved with 30 day rolling contracts with Plusnet.

I wouldn't trust them in being competent enough to actually cancel it after 30 days, when requesting it at sign up frankly...

With the three aforementioned MVNOs you're in control, you pay upfront by debit/credit card and then just disable auto-renew in their dashboards.

If you go through one of the cash back sites you'll likely get some or all of your money back too.

newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

I have to agree with DaveyH. I've not used Voxi or GiffGaff, but have used Smarty.

No credit checks and pay upfront for the first month's service, create an account then just select to not autorenew and don't store payment card details. In fact I still have a dormant account which only needs another month's payment to activate for a further month etc..

The customer is in control, less chance of errors because they can't take any further payments. They use the Three network so if EE network is preferred, then no good.

If this recommendation is against the rules, apologies and feel free to delete!

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The OP hasn't mentioned picking up a cheap PAYG SIM and using that. I assume they don't want to do this - one downside in my experiece is the networks are very quick to cut them off if you don't use them.

In fact the SIM's now are usually free provided you put some credit on it. My local big Tesco's do them for example.

That's what I did when I went on holiday once, got a local SIM from the airport making sure my phone was unlocked. I did that myself before I went there as I found they had worked out the unlock code algorithm so found a handy tool which would tell you once you put your IMEI in what is was. Nice and good old Nokia!

It was at Sydney, and I was standing near the opera house. The first call I made from that SIM lasted about 10 minutes to a UK mobile and I was amazed it cost something to the GBP equivalent of £1.50! Well you can't complain about that can you. 😉

You just need to be careful the phone you have is not locked to a specific provider or is the same one it could be locked to.

machare
Rising Star

If I get the Plusnet sim I would get 5GB of data for £7 which I could use abroad in Switzerland. The Xiaomi  phone that I have will take two sims and if the menus are to be believed I can set it to use the first sim for calls and texts and the 2nd sim for data. I expect 5gb of data will be enough. My cheap Vodafone contract sim only gives me 0.25GB.  Adding 1GB to this contract would cost £8.    Smarty want £7.50 for 2GB, not as good as they are shown on Moneysupermarket.com!  Giffgaff want £8 for 2GB or £10 for 6GB.

Part of my problem is that I want to use my mobile phone to buy a Swiss railway ticket. The tickets are half price if you buy them more than an hour before the trains leaves but are only valid on a specific train. So I need to be sure that I will catch a specific train which is difficult if you are arriving by air as the planes are often late.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Fair enough @machare,

Not been there or even had a dual SIM phone!

Sounds like a plan, worth investigating if you can get a local data only SIM from there or maybe get it sent through the internet if you have time.

Also sounds like PlusNet can do it too. Being not part of the EU I don't know what the costs will be like. I'd prefer PAYG in your case as I pay in advance and it will put my mind at rest not worrying about a bill.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@Alex Athough Switzerland is not in the EU it is in the Plusnet ' roam like at home' country list

I've had a couple of dual sim phones and usually only one sim can be active for data so you can usually select which one. In terms of calls and texts , both sim will receive them and you can usually select the default sim to make outgoing. I use my current one with a PN sim for data and outgoing calls and have my old giffgaff payg sim in the second slot.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

@machare wrote:

If I get the Plusnet sim I would get 5GB of data for £7 which I could use abroad in Switzerland. The Xiaomi  phone that I have will take two sims and if the menus are to be believed I can set it to use the first sim for calls and texts and the 2nd sim for data. I expect 5gb of data will be enough. My cheap Vodafone contract sim only gives me 0.25GB.  Adding 1GB to this contract would cost £8.    Smarty want £7.50 for 2GB, not as good as they are shown on Moneysupermarket.com!  Giffgaff want £8 for 2GB or £10 for 6GB.

Smarty are currently offering 30GB for £10 + £15 cashback via Quidco 

https://www.quidco.com/smarty/

And Switzerland's covered under EU roaming

https://smarty.co.uk/roaming/europe

And that's perfectly normal for dual SIM phones incidentally