cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Isle of Man - Roaming Issues with outward calls. Only able to ring Customer Services!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Isle of Man - Roaming Issues with outward calls. Only able to ring Customer Services!

Hi @catxlady
Sorry that we couldn’t identify the cause for the problem.
Appreciate what you’ve said though I’ve just relayed everything we’ve been told from MVNO pretty much word for word.
As you’ve said it works with T-Mobile who also use the EE network, I agree in that it’s unlikely to be a problem with EE as a MNO(Mobile Network Operator), but possibly a routing issue with MVNO. Unfortunately they couldn’t find the cause the first time round and since those examples are out of date now they’d need more to continue investigating. Sad

If you do travel back to the Isle of Man in the future and find that you’re still unable to make calls, feel free to PM me more examples and I’ll be happy to pass this back.
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RobC
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Isle of Man - Roaming Issues with outward calls. Only able to ring Customer Services!

@catxlady

So they just say we cant see a problem, just like the status page when there are widespread reports of issues on plusnet including here.

If they cant see any problem with outgoing calls (which you have said aren't working) then I doubt they have used common sense and looked at the actual 500 and incoming calls .... maybe they did (yeh right)

'Can't see any outgoing calls so cant see an issue' when that IS the issue ...

There are utilities that give your connection info (eg https://www.appsapk.com/open-signal/ or https://www.apk4fun.com/apps/de.android.telnet2/) both available from play store.

The more detailed ones can be a bit technical, probably beyond most of the support staff here let alone what a customer should need to know.

Might give some useful info including cell connected info, but I doubt anything useful would come from plusnet despite your effort, but might be worth a thought for those with ongoing issues who want to persist.

Show us ONE just ONE real, defined benefit for the British public from Brexit

Brexit Promised cake .... But just delivers a stream of Cack
... and expects us all to just swallow it
Brexit - Built from Bovine Manure by Bots
catxlady
Dabbler

Many thanks, @RobC, for your most informative message. I shall certainly make use of those utilities you've mentioned, and, if this matter is not resolved for some time to come, propose to make an Article 15, GDPR Request - Subject Access - to see what has been done behind the scenes. EE and Plusnet need to talk to one another in a constructive manner to get to the bottom of this matter.

I believe Plusnet evolved from one of EE's arms when BT took over EE in 2016, and is a 'stand alone' entity. On issues like this, resources need to be pooled, as there's no problem on either EE or T Mobile on the Isle of Man; after all, these are 'siblings', not competitors and, hopefully, not like British Leyland in the 1970s where different divisions frequently did not see eye to eye with one another, eg Rover and Austin & Morris.

catxlady
Dabbler

@Gandalf

Thank you for your update. Before I leave on Monday, I shall make a log of outward calls from T Mobile & Plusnet, including intra EE network calls, i.e. T Mobile to PlusNet & vice versa. It is only possible to call Customer Services (500) when the setting is manually routed through Manx Telecom with Plusnet; T Mobile has full functionality on automatic with no issues at all.

I shall be back on the Isle of Man again in the near future, so let's hope PlusNet get to the bottom of this matter.

RobC
Pro
Fixes: 3

@catxlady

Note there is also log failed calls/connects options, which I haven't used yet so cant comment on them,

and options to warn you if the signal goes below a certain level (quite normal when you pass out out of range of towers)

Show us ONE just ONE real, defined benefit for the British public from Brexit

Brexit Promised cake .... But just delivers a stream of Cack
... and expects us all to just swallow it
Brexit - Built from Bovine Manure by Bots
catxlady
Dabbler

The ongoing issue of being unable to make outward calls continues.

Am currently in touch with Plusnet's Chief Executive over this long outstanding roaming issue and for being billed £23-49 per month on an upgrade to Broadband Fibre Extra (Without Phone) at the out of contract rate when I had signed up to £15-50, fixed for 18 months.

A further log, as was provided by me in January, will be submitted later this week when I have the time. This is clearly a Plusnet issue, as EE users have no problem whatsoever on the Isle of Man - somewhere along the line there's a seriously defective link between Plusnet and your Provider, EE, where roaming on the Isle of Man is concerned. Let's hope this is resolved before the TT starts on Saturday, 25th. May, otherwise there will be a great number of complaints. Thank you.

Dumbledore
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 34

Hello @catxlady

Can you please PM me with the following details, so we can raise the task with our Mobile Operations team:-

Date:
Time:
Service Attempted:
Phone Number (if applicable):
Error that occurred:

We will need three examples of the ongoing issue. Each example must be at least two hours apart and documented within a 48 hours timeframe.

Once you have done this, comment on this thread so we can continue to assist you with this query.

Kind regards.

Moderator's note by Adie (Dvorak) adjusted font for readability