Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is 'Roam Like at Home' working?

GizmoHKG
Hooked

Is 'Roam Like at Home' working?

Hello!

Last month I received the text message saying that from 15 June I would be able to use 'Roam Like Home' across Europe.

Last week I was in Italy and turned on my Plusnet phone to receive this text:

Welcome SMS - EU call charges include VAT: 17p/min max. To receive a call: 2p/min max. Texts: 6p max. Internet: 18p/MB max. More info: call 789. Emergency: 112(free)

Whereas when I turned on my work mobile (EE), I received this text:

Hi from EE. You've used 25MB of data in the EU in your monthly bill period. We're just letting you know so you can manage your costs ... (etc)

After receiving the first message on my plusnet personal phone, I turned it off, because that doesn't sound like 'Roam like home' has kicked in? I was worried I'd be slammed for calls and data I made. Whereas the EE work phone seemed to be fine.

Is that normal to receive that weird text with call charges listed? Can I just go ahead and use my phone as normal - I'm going to Italy again in 2 weeks so any help appreciated!

cheers

48 REPLIES 48
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Is 'Roam Like at Home' working?

I would assume that SMS is WRONG. I believe that if roaming is enabled on the SIM then it HAS to be on RLAH terms.

If PlusNet don't get that message corrected quickly then they're going to incur the wrath of OFCOM and the EU.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Hi GizmoHKG!

Thanks for getting in touch with us!

All of our current plans have Roam Like At Home included however, there are a small minority of tariffs that were activated before the RLAH activation on the 15th June, which may still have the old roaming system still in place and not RLAH. Rest assured, we have now rolled out new tariffs which include RLAH to replace these. 

If you would like to send me a Private Message, I can certainly take a look into this for you and advise you of your current tariff.

- Rebeka Smiley

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Last month I received the text message saying that from 15 June I would be able to use 'Roam Like Home' across Europe

@RebekaPreston doesn't the fact that the OP received that message imply that their tariff had already been changed ?

I also received that message on the 9th June, which I assumed meant that RLAH was active, Perhaps you would like to check my account too, since I will be 'roaming' in the near future. I'll drop you a PM...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for getting in touch!

The RLAH service was rolled out on the 15th June and we sent all of our customers a text to notify them of this. As long as you're on any tariff with a monthly price plan above £5, regardless if you started with us before or after the 15th of June, then RLAH services will automatically be active on the account. 

- Rebeka Smiley

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

As long as you're on any tariff with a monthly price plan above £5 regardless if you started with us before or after the 15th of June, then RLAH services will automatically be active on the account. 

@RebekaPreston I'm sorry but I don't think that's quite correct!. I believe it was confirmed in this thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/Roaming-on-a-pre-new-products-contract/m-p/1449070#M4670 by @MarcJohnson that ALL pre 15th June tariffs (irrespective of being above £5) are RLAH enabled.

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I do apologise for the confusion 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@RebekaPreston I'm STILL confused because what you've just said there

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi 

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

@RebekaPreston wrote:

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@RebekaPreston I think we're getting confused about terminology here. You seem to be saying that a UK Only tariff is one where the included bundle only applies to the UK. My understanding from @MarcJohnson 's reponse in the other thread

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

All of our tariffs have always included International and Roaming services. The £5 UK only tariff which provided International and Roaming services but not included RLAH have since been replaced. All of our tariffs now include RLAH services on top of the International and Roaming services which have always applied.

- Rebeka 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

As regards the original post about the strange SMS advising charges:-

I appreciate that Rebeka can't discuss account specific information on here, but to make others aware, it has been confirmed that my account (which is a pre 15th June £5 account) is RLAH enabled. She did say in the PM that I may still receieve a text when travelling abroad advising of charges, but that these charges only apply if you use any out of bundle services or exceed your allowance, just as you would within the UK. I have questioned the form of the text message to expect, since the OP's included charges for receiving calls, which MUST be wrong.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Why do I feel totally baffled by the various statements by @RebekaPreston and other staff members in this and other threads with respect to roaming

Fact

Before the 15th June there were no products on the website which stated UK only and hence roaming was included and this included the various £5 ones

Fact

Under the relevant EU Regulations all products where roaming was included had to include Roam Like at Home from the 15th June

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

All of our tariffs now include RLAH services on top of the International and Roaming services which have always applied.

@RebekaPreston look I'm sorry to be a pain but again that is not correct according to the current plans on offer and the T & C's  here https://www.plus.net/mobile/plans/sim-only/existing-customer-offer/ which states that you can not use it abroad

UK ONLY SIM ONLY 30 DAY PLANS

Monthly Plan Allowance Details

• UK calls to standard UK landlines (starting 01, 02, 03) and UK mobiles, standard texts to UK mobiles and data use when in the UK are included in your monthly plan allowance. All other calls, texts and data use are excluded (for example calls to premium and business rate numbers, and all multimedia and picture messages are always chargeable), see our Mobile Price Guide for full details.
  • You will not be able to use your mobile when you go abroad.
  • Calls of up to one minute in length will be rated as if they are calls lasting for one minute.