cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ipad connectivity

Jim_the_rev

Ipad connectivity

Newly moved to Plusnet phone from BT.  Only interested in using data on my Ipad.  However...

Ipad recognises the sim: ‘Plusnet’ & 3 dots top right of the screen, but trying to use Safari and it says ‘not connected to the internet.'

What am I doing wrong?

Pretty please...

20 REPLIES 20
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Ipad connectivity

Welcome to the forums @Jim_the_rev . Have you connected the iPad to the router? In other words, what does it say in the 'Wi-Fi' line in Settings on the iPad?

John
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

@jab1 wrote:

Have you connected the iPad to the router? In other words, what does it say in the 'Wi-Fi' line in Settings on the iPad?

Given he's posted in the Mobile forum and mentions a SIM, he's clearly using a Plusnet mobile SIM in an iPad with LTE. WiFi has no relevance.

jab1
Legend

@DaveyH I bow to your greater knowledge then.

@Jim_the_rev Please confirm, then we need to delve deeper.

John
Jim_the_rev

Morning, all,

Yes, wifi works fine, has done since got the ipad.  So did my data connection under BT.

No internet connection, however, when I turn wifi off.

jab1
Legend

OK, @Jim_the_rev . Could you post a screenshot of your home screen, preferably on a darkish background when Wi-Fi is off, and check that you have something in the 'Network Provider' and 'Mobile Data Number' fields in General>About, but don't post that information?

John
Jim_the_rev

Thanks, John,  I'll do it later.  erindoors has the pad and is out just now.

Jim

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@Jim_the_rev It's probably the APN settings. The iPad has likely 'remembered' the BT mobile settings and needs the PlusNet ones instead.

I'm not an Apple man myself so not got any experience in changing the APN settings but this https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201699 might help. The Plusnet APN settings are here https://www.plus.net/help/mobile/mobile-phone-and-voicemail-settings/#what-are-the-apn-settings-for-...

In this thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/Can-my-Plusnet-Mobile-SIM-card-be-used-in-an-IPAD/m-p/1724510 it suggests that you might need to reset the existing APN settings first.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Jim_the_rev

@MisterW   Thanks.  Sound helpful... but a Windows (and a bit of Linux) man myself, so I'll look that one up and see if it makes sense to me!

I'll do the screenshot thing, too.  It's all learning...

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

but a Windows (and a bit of Linux) man myself,

I'm a Linux, Android and a bit of Windows man 😀

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Jim_the_rev

Thanks, @jab1 .  Screen photo below - I guess that you just want the top corner?

Can confirm that 'Network Provider' and 'Phone Number' are as expected.

I've also tried adjusting the APN settings as suggested by @MisterW , but no result.  Sounded promising, but obviously something still wrong...

ipad.gif

jab1
Legend

@Jim_the_rev That leaves me scratching my head.😕. It says you are connected to the 4g mobile network- and yet you can't use it, and @MisterW 's suggestion also fails.

Do you have a mobile phone, and if so, is it Android or iPhone, on which provider? I'm clutching at straws here.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Jim_the_rev  can you try Settings>general>profile and see if there are any old BT looking profiles there ? post the screen dump if you're not sure ( as long as there's no personal info showing )

jab1
Legend

@MisterW  just made me think! In Settings> mobile data, is the mobile data button grey or green?

John
Jim_the_rev

@jab1 Yes, I've tried the sim in an old Android Samsung, and it works well, data as well as voice.

@MisterW I'm also having car trouble which I've to sort (!!!) have to come back later.

Thanks, guys.