cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International roaming not working

NH
Hooked

International roaming not working

I’ve had a read of other similar posts but can’t seem to find a solution.
Currently in Tobago and my phone is permanently on no service.
I’ve done the whole remove sim etc etc and no joy.
Does anyone know why this is the case?
It worked fine whilst in Switzerland, I understand that was ‘roam like home’, but I don’t understand why it can’t switch whilst out of Europe?
I have contacted plusnet, the first answer was the general we have no control over networks in other countries.
My partner is on Tesco and no issues.
I’ve not been with plusnet long, and after being with o2 for over 10 years thought I found something much better (didn’t have these issues with o2).
It wouldn’t matter if my mobile wasn’t my only means of contact. The WiFi is ok, but I can’t call or receive calls or texts. Ideally, i need to have a phone that works when out and about ‘just in case’.
Really hoping someone has an answer.
Thank you
20 REPLIES 20
NH
Hooked

Re: International roaming not working

Just thought I’d update, I have been in touch with a very helpful advisor, I’m hoping the issue will be resolved soon. Will update with the good news (hopefully).
NH
Hooked

Right, nope not working. I’m assuming I won’t have any network coverage during this trip Sad I’ve trawled through other similar posts and seems like it’s an ongoing issue.
RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Hi NH,

Thanks for taking the time out to get in touch with us, it's much appreciated. 

I'm sorry to hear you've not been able to connect to a network whilst roaming. I understand you have been advised of this previously however, there's no guarantee of service availability overseas. We don't have full control of the signal strength, functionality with the masts and local network in that particular area.

Not too sure if you have already tried the following however, there are some troubleshooting steps that you can try:

Re-booting your handset

• Turn the handset off
  • Remove the SIM card
  • Leave it for a couple of minutes
  • Replace the SIM card T
  • urn the handset on

This will refresh the signal and attempt to re-establish a connection with the local network.

> Manually connecting to a network We do advise that you may need to manually search for a local network and attempt to connect this way. All handsets vary dependant on their make and model however, a general search on an Android handset would be:

• From the home screen, tap and drag the Notifications bar downwards.
  • Tap the Settings icon.
  • Scroll to and tap More networks.
  • Tap Mobile networks.
  • Tap Network operators. If prompted tap OK.
  • Tap the required network.

> Trying the SIM in another handset

If possible, try using a friend/family members handset that is unlocked to all networks to see if the SIM has any network connectivity in an entirely different device.

- Rebeka 

NH
Hooked

Hi Rebeka,

Thank you for your reply.
I’ve tried two out of three of those options, and have had no success.
Removing sim, rebooting phone doesn’t make a difference.
When I try to manually connect (two network providers are picked up, Digicel and TSTT), no service changes to searching for a while and then back to no service.
I’ve tried both of those option numerous times.

Will try another handset too if I can get hold of one, but I have a feeling it won’t do much 😕

mbettsuk
Hooked

I've just returned from a 3-week trip to Laos and Thailand and couldn't connect with any local network in either country.  While in Laos, I had an on-line chat session with a Plusnet agent who told me that 1) roaming is activated on my account, 2) Plusnet can't provide technical support for connectivity problems outside UK, and 3) Plusnet can't guarantee service availability overseas.  Since returning to UK and searching the forum, it's clear that this a much wider problem.  So I spoke with someone at Plusnet support last week who initially gave me the same spiel as Rebeka.  However, after a long conversation with someone else in Plusnet, he finally confirmed that that there is a technical problem with international roaming connectivity which Plusnet "hopes to fix very soon". Well that remains to be seen.  Meanwhile, perhaps Rebeka you could provide an accurate response as to why myriad customers are unable to roam while overseas.  The fault lies with Plusnet, not with their handsets, SIMs or the quality of the local networks.  I will be visiting Australia in April - if I still can't access international roaming then, I will be movoing to another provider.

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi mbettsuk,

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

I'm sorry you're not receiving service abroad. As advised above, we cannot guarantee service availability overseas due to different factors such as foreign masts, networks etc...

I understand you have been advised of an issue with international roaming connectivity however, I have just queried this with a manager and I confirm that there are no issues with our roaming services. I apologise for any misadvice given to you by an agent and I can assure you that this has been fed back and will be dealt with accordingly. 

- Rebeka 

mbettsuk
Hooked

Hi Rebeka,

Thanks for your quick response.  However, I cannot agree that "there are no issues with our roaming services".  There clearly are otherwise why are so many of your customers having problems connecting to local networks abroad?  I am reasonably IT savvy and I tried everything possible to connect with any of the dozen or so local service providers in Laos and Thailand. There is certainly nothing wrong with the phone or the phone settings because I could readily connect using another SIM.  The local infrastructure and signal strengths were first class (rather better than in the UK most of the time!).  After a long process of investigation and elimination, the only logical conclusion I can reach is that the Plusnet SIM is simply not recognised by any of the local service providers in those two countries (or a number of other countries judging by the comments on the forum).  In which case, the problem does indeed lie with Plusnet.

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Rest assured mbettsuk, there are no issues from a network level with roaming abroad however, we'll certainly take on board your feedback and pass this on to the relevant department.

- Rebeka 

mbettsuk
Hooked

Good morning Rebeka,

Thanks again for your swift response. I will be in Australia for a couple of weeks during April, which is the next opportunity I will have to see whether or not I can get roaming to work with the Plusnet SIM.  I will also install a SIM card from another UK service provider in the same phone to see if that connects successfully with a local network in Australia, and to make doubly sure this problem is not due to the phone or phone settings.  I will report back upon my return at the beginning of May.

Have a good day.

Mike

Itsmytv

Hi, I am currently on holiday in St Lucia and experiencing exactly the same issue as described above and received the same explanation from the advisor. I c am only assume that whatever the rooot cause of the issue is has not been addressed yet!

Poor!
picnoir
Dabbler

Having only recently joined (4 Sims for the whole family) this all seems rather worrisome.

Have I made a bum move folks?

mbettsuk
Hooked

Hi,

It took me a while to figure out the problem.  Strictly speaking, this is not Plusnet's fault.  In my case, the problem was with the access point names (APN) settings on my phone.  I'm guessing that if, like me, your phone is a Chinese import, you need to change the APN settings on your phone so that it will work properly when roaming on the Plusnet network (which uses the EE network).  To do this, you need to open up settings on your phone and look for Access Point Names.  On my phone, this is found under More>Mobile Networks>Access Point Names.  Then you need to change the settings for EE Internet so it matches exactly the settings described here under "What are the APN settings for my phone?" - https://www.plus.net/help/mobile/mobile-phone-and-voicemail-settings/

Hope this fixes your problem.

picnoir
Dabbler

Cheers for that.

I have used the phone in Italy and seemed to have some intermittent issues.

Checking I have an APN with that name "EE Internet" but some of the settings are different: MMSC not set, MMS Proxy or Port, APN type is default.supl.dun.

Slightly worried I have no idea what all these settings do but it seems sensible to follow the PlusNet set up instructions.

Itsmytv

Hiya,

Thanks for sharing a potential resolution but I do not have the option to amend my APN settings. Using an IPhone 6s with up to date IOS. Am I being silly?

Thanks again!