cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International roaming failure

FIXED
Royston57

International roaming failure

Like many others - could not access any voice nor text services whilst travelling outside the EU (EU not a problem)

Followed all the advice in these posts - could see networks (manually) but simply not connect. My wife on another provider had no issues what so ever!

Visited - No Service in Cuba, Cayman Islands, Colombia, Costa Rica and Mexico.

Got good Service automatically (and calls made) in Jamaica.

Plusnet being effectively BT and EE should be able to point to a single page where advice can be given about the likelihood of actually getting service internationally. Simply giving a list of charges for being in a country outside of the EU isn't enough.

Anyone out there who can point me to a page with more up to date info. ?

Thanks

Tags (2)
11 REPLIES 11
LivRobinson
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: International roaming failure

Hi Royston57!

I am very sorry to hear that you had some issues with roaming outside the EU.

All the countries on the price list on the website are the ones that we have roaming agreements in. We would not advertise the price list for a country that our customers would not be able to connect in.

Unfortunately, as we do not own any of the networks in the countries you have stated, we cannot guarantee a signal when you are connected to them as they control the masts. This is also the reason that it would not be possible for us to have a single page that outlines the likelihood of service availability in each area.

I can completely understand your frustrations with this, and although we cannot  guarantee the signal strength, I really would like to try and help out with this because I know this will have inconvenienced you while abroad.

If you could please send me a PM with your full name and address so we can start security, I will be able to have a look into the account and see where we can go from here to get this resolved for you Smiley

Thanks
Liv

Liv Robinson
 Plusnet Help Team
Rob74

Moved from EE to Plus net last November. Just returned from a four week trip visiting four countries in S America.

unable to connect in any of them. I have an old Nokia which has worked perfectly in many countries I travel extensively and this is the first time I have been unable to get coverage. The online chat was unhelpful and said there was nothing I could do!! I suspect I will be leaving Plusnet soon.

LivRobinson
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Fix

Hi @Rob74!

I'm sorry to hear that you also experienced some issues with your connection abroad!

As explained above, unfortunately we have no control over the Networks in other countries, so cannot guarantee signal strength or connection when abroad.

If you would like me to take a look into the account and see if there is a way I can assist with this, please send me a PM and I will be happy to get the ball rolling Smiley -Liv

Liv Robinson
 Plusnet Help Team
artandartists

Does roaming work in Trinidad ? all I get is no service !!!

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Hi artandartists,

I'm sorry you've been experiencing loss of service whilst abroad, i'm afraid there's no guarantee of service availability overseas. When roaming abroad, we don't have full control of the signal strength, functionality with the masts and local network in that particular area.

You can try manually searching for a network and if so, the networks to look out for are:

• Digicel Trinidad
  • TSTT

You can also try re-booting your handset, you can do this by the following:

• Turn the handset off
  • Take the SIM card out
  • Leave it for a couple of minutes
  • Replace the SIM card
  • Turn the handset back on

It's important to remove the SIM from the handset entirely, so that it can disconnect and establish a new connection to a network upon re-boot.

- Rebeka 

Royston57

I’ve gone through all those suggestions without success. Unfortunately this is not a simple” infrastructure” issue abroad.  My wife (with a different UK provider) never failed to get service in any of those countries we visited, whilst I in some cases could see multiple providers but still get no service.  No - I’m afraid this is clearly a ‘back office’ problem with Plusnet not being recognised by overseas service providers outside of Europe.

artandartists

Yes did all that before contacting I see the networks but there definately is a problem with plusnet in the carribean. I will try it in St Lucia tuesday and let you know if it works there. EU is fine by the way.  I travel alot and so cant rely on a phone that doesnt guarantee service. Im off to india soon, will it work there ? probably not I think ..

artandartists

So it seems PLUSNET DOES NOT work in St Lucia , Trinidad or with DIGICEL, TSTT. It is a Plusnet problem, All other sims and phone works fine. Soon as I get to EU plusnet sim works so will have to get another provider for all these countries..

Rob74

Problem solved. Just been to Malaysia for four weeks, mobile worked perfectly.

thank you,

SR1

I don’t think this is fixed. Roaming probably works on select overseas (non EU) countries like Malaysia, but none of the fixes Work in Trinidad & Tobago’s of today. Didn’t work in St Lucia or a few other South American countries a couple of months ago either, so doubt that has changed. 

bbahra

I am having similar problems in Qatar.  I have tried both networks here (Ooredoo and Vodafone) but get absolutely nothing.  I have a local mobile on Ooredeoo and it is working fine.  I have tried the sim in an iPhone and an android phone but still no service.  It would be great if you had a service like O2 where you could use your number over wifi.