cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect roaming charges

Ljh9016

Incorrect roaming charges

I’ve received a bill following a few weeks abroad and have noticed some data roaming charges. Roaming was switched off on my phone before leaving the country to avoid this happening. I spoke to customer services who basically told me I was a liar and must have switched on roaming (glad they know more about my activities than me...). Any advice would be appreciated, I give up with this company.
4 REPLIES 4
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Incorrect roaming charges

Thanks for getting in touch @Ljh9016 I'm sorry to see you're roaming charges on your bill. Do you mind me asking what make and model of phone handset you have? In my experience at least on certain handsets, while a roaming setting may be switched off this doesn't completely stop background data from being used for some reason.

If you could also PM me your mobile number, full name, full address and confirm you're the account holder I'd be happy to try to look into this further for you.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

A quick google shows a number of similar reports, across various networks, of data usage when disabled.

Turning off/ on or rebooting seems a common theory causing small data usage before the phone disables it.

Earlier iOS versions also suffered a problem in this area...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@Gandalf wrote:

Do you mind me asking what make and model of phone handset you have? In my experience at least on certain handsets, while a roaming setting may be switched off this doesn't completely stop background data from being used for some reason.

Interesting "glitch". Can you explain a bit more and also mention what phones are affected please?

Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@Marksfish Unfortunately I don't have anymore information regarding this, I'm just going on my experience Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet