cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If I call someone, and I hear them, they can't hear me... who's network has a problem?

Toonah

If I call someone, and I hear them, they can't hear me... who's network has a problem?

It seems that when I call a specific number on a landline, I'd say 70% of the time even though I hear them perfectly, they always reply with "Hello....Hello?" over and over. 

So I hang up, try again... different person answers, but same thing. I am speaking to them, they don't hear me. 

I can't be sure if it's my mobile signal with the issue, I have only noticed this problem when calling that SPECIFIC place...but can't be sure.  I'm at home at the moment, don't often call people from home... but was calling the GP surgery (so not likely to call them whilst out and about). 

It's driving me a little potty.  I've had issues with signal before, but not sure if that's affected, since I can hear them.

Anyone got any tips?   Other than "get a new phone" (not currently viable!) 😂

8 REPLIES 8
Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: If I call someone, and I hear them, they can't hear me... who's network has a problem?

If this happens on only one landline number, with different people answering, surely it has to be a switchboard fault or mishandling at their end of the line? I would think that if you can hear them they should hear you as the signal carries two-way traffic. Not sure from your post if this problem line is your GP surgery, in these days this can be a problem in itself. You could ask them if anyone else has difficulties.

Mike

James30
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 26

Re: If I call someone, and I hear them, they can't hear me... who's network has a problem?

@Toonah - It would be nice if you could confirm that all other numbers are fine because from the sounds of it. The number you are calling has possible crossed line meaning you call goes through to others people phones. This could be at your end though so we want to be sure that all other numbers are working bar that one. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
James - Plusnet Sheffield
Plusnet Help Team
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@James30 wrote:

The number you are calling has possible crossed line meaning you call goes through to others people phones.

I can't see anything in the OP which would suggest a crossed line. It appears to be most likely a digital path in the exchange exhibiting one way transmission. As you say, more information is needed from @Toonah .

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Toonah

Hello

Thanks - I've no idea where the problem lies. I don't know if it's with my phone, my area (I'm at home at the time), my network... or if it's them and their phone.  Their phone is a landline, it's a GP surgery.   I can't ask them if they have a problem with their  line, as I cannot speak to them (I hear them, they don't hear me).

I'm assuming as I'm on a mobile, that it might be an issue with me, but I don't know where to start trying to figure it out.  If I hear them clearly, it's not likely to be a dodgy line is it?  Wouldn't I hear them jumbled... 

I would assume it's their fault, more than mine... I've never noticed the issue with others, but it's hard to test. I can call other mobiles fine, and I've called other landlines from home and it's been fine, but since they're a GP surgery with a landline - I assume there line isn't too shabby - so assume issue with my phone, but don't know how to test this as I've never noticed the problem when calling anything else. 

I can call my home landline, no issues. I can call a relatives mobile, no issues.   But I don't know if this means there's an issue with their landline only, or my calls... or if it's just my calls to that one line. 

James30
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 26

@Toonah - I'm confused you say "assuming as I'm on a mobile, that it might be an issue with me" and "It seems that when I call a specific number on a landline"

Forgive my bluntness but if you could answer the bullet points, that would help me understand better what's going on.

Are you calling out on your landline or mobile - ?

Does the issue only happen when you're calling the GP or does it happen with other numbers too - (Only to GP - It's happening when I call other numbers too ) ? 

Does the problem occur every time you call the same number or is it intermittent - ?

TA

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
James - Plusnet Sheffield
Plusnet Help Team
Toonah

Can't ask them... can't speak to them on the phone  😂

If I go in to the surgery they always talk to you like you're doing something wrong, not them... so no idea if it's my fault or theirs. I assume theirs, as they have the problem... (I hear them fine)... but then I'm on a mobile which is more likely to have an issue, be it from signal or network etc. 

I was hoping someone else might say they have something similar, like I think mobile networks can have issues, and someone else (on same network, in same location) doesn't.  But if it was their fault, I'd assume everyone calling them has an issue, not just people on my mobile network.  

Toonah

I'm calling them on my Plusnet mobile. They are a landline. 

I've never had the problem before (or since) but that doesn't mean I don't have an issue with anything else - if you see what I mean. I can't say it's certainly not me... as maybe it is, but maybe when I call other numbers it's fine - but would be bad if I did it 5mins later. 

I have called the GP before and got through, but have called them and been cut off when on hold (assume their issue, not my mobile issue), etc.  I assume it's their fault, but I've had issues with them several times (not just this one specific day where they couldn't hear me multiple times) so assume (as it's been weeks, months probably) of having the problem - and it's not fixed - that it's with my network.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Toonah, is it happening each time you call the GP surgery or is it intermittent? - Adam

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team