cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMAP issues on Android

Robin5

IMAP issues on Android

Hi I have a plus.net email address via Outlook on a Samsung Android phone.  A couple of times in the last two or three weeks Outlook has asked me to re-enter all the IMAP and SMTP settings on the phone.  Does anyone know why this is happening and if there is a fix?  Email on the PC is unaffected and email service on the phone was fine until about 3 weeks ago.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rob

5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: IMAP issues on Android

This thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Outlook-settings-for-Android-IMAP-not-working/m-p/1746098 might help...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Robin5

Many thanks for your reply. Yes, I had already looked at this and many other similar threads.  I tried all the combinations of suggested ports and none works.  I have verified my username and password by trying a webmail log in on a PC and they are fine.  I am assuming the username and password for the SMTP settings are the same as for the IMAP settings.  When I first set up email on this phone I am sure it didn't request a username and password for SMTP, only the server name and port.  Newer versions of Outlook for Android do ask for this additional info but as I have never actually set these parameters I am working on the assumption they are the same as the IMAP ones.

In the threads there's a lot of discussion on SSL/TLS/STARTTLS options.  However, Outlook for android set up routine doesn't give you an option to set these parameters, other than indirectly through specifying the ports.

Is it just that Outlook is really [-Censored-]?  Any recommendations for another email client and that will be compatible with a plus.com email address?Huh

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

I am assuming the username and password for the SMTP settings are the same as for the IMAP settings

They are.

Is it just that Outlook is really [-Censored-]? 

It seems to be, there are a number of threads on here about problems setting up Outlook. It does eem to take it upon itself to try and guess server names and gets them wrong. It seems mainly the SMTP settings failing that gives problems. I do seem to recall someone getting it to work using SSL on port 465 (which has been depracated for some while!).

I use K9 mail on my Android devices but there are reports of it not playing nicely with the battery management on later Android versions.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Robin5

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.  I will have a look at other email software options.

TieKnot
Dabbler

I think the issues might be connected with: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/troubleshoot/client-connectivity/insecure-connection-secur....  Think it needs a new SSL certificate by Plusnet or better functionality in Outlook for Android.  I think I might just go for another email client.