cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How come I used 2+ GB of data in 1 hour???

OmegaA
Hooked

How come I used 2+ GB of data in 1 hour???

Something strange is happening
I usually use around 1-2 GB of data per month. So I keep on the lowest tariff and 4 GB should be plenty. However, last month I had to buy lots of extra GBs. Plusnet suggested me keeping eye on switching off mobile data when I get home
So, yesterday, I realised I got more internet and switched it for about 1 hour and used. I used it for 2 things - Wayz to get directions home and Pokemon Go. And I used 2.32 GB!!! In one hour!
How can this be? Any suggestions? I will switch to another provider if I don’t bottom this out. I didn’t have to switch internet off when I was on Vodafone…
10 REPLIES 10
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: How come I used 2+ GB of data in 1 hour???

Hi @OmegaA 

Has your phone done any automatic updates that may have triggered the extra usage? 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
OmegaA
Hooked

I set up iPhone so that it can do updates only when connected to WiFi…
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

For both apps, software update and photos etc? They're set in different places within an iPhone's settings.

Also, does the usage show? I believe it'd be Settings > Cellular

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
OmegaA
Hooked

Checked my iPhone: Photos is switched off for mobile, camera is switched on, but shows 398 kb. Top are Safari 29.4 gb and Pokémon Go 21.1 gb. I don’t know within what period this amount was used - I didn’t use 50+ gb since I signed up with Plusnet as I bought overall less than 20 gb…
get it
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@OmegaA 

Feel free to private message me the following information and we’ll be happy to check nothing funky’s going on with your account. I got a suspicion though that something on your phone has used that data…

+Your mobile number

+Your full name

+Your full address

+Are you the account holder?

+Your date of birth

+Last 2 digits of your bank account number

+Last 2 digits of your bank sort code

When private messaging me, please include a link to this thread as our staff private messages go through a centralised system internally so I might not actually personally message you back. Although just a few of us monitor our Community Forums so there’s a good chance I’ll pick it up.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
OmegaA
Hooked

Thank you. I sent the private message

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks, we’ll pick it up tomorrow. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
OmegaA
Hooked

Very strange experience- I changed my plan to 10GB, then there was outages of Three network, I started using more mobile internet and… my usage dropped…
I still suspect the problem was on the side of Plusnet/ Three as I didn’t change my habits significantly, maybe only slightly increased consumption, but now my usage is in line what I used to have before moving to Plusnet
newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

Deleted. Didn't use brain before engaging keyboard!

OmegaA
Hooked

Thank you for correcting - EE, Three and other network were down https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/bt-three-network-ee-virgin-down-latest-b19... . And then my bills became fine