cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard Lock??

flyingmontyboy
Hooked

Hard Lock??

Hi All, Does anyone know why I need a NUC and an MCK when I put my Plusnet sim into a samsung (vodafone) phone? All works well in my Samsung (3) phone, and the vodafone is out of contract now, it also displays I've used all my attempts to unlock it, but I only put the sim in without entering any thing else

9 REPLIES 9
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Hard Lock??

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Unlocking/MCK/td-p/2656449

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

flyingmontyboy
Hooked

Many thanks MisterW  - I'll pass this on to my capable young helper who has a wonderfull knack of understanding these things.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

In a nutshell, it seems like the phone is network locked to Vodafone and so you need a NUC code from Vodafone to unlock it.

In addition it would appear that some Samsung phones additionally require an MCK code to be able to apply the NUC.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

flyingmontyboy
Hooked

Hi MisterW,  I presume I apply to Samsung for the MCK code or will I get them both off Vodafone?

I appreciate that this is a security reason, but as it's been on contract to Vodafone this should be a straight

forward requirement without making it extremely complicated for customers choice to switch sim providers.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

According to the link I posted, both come from Vodafone

flyingmontyboy
Hooked

Thank you. . . . . . you can see now why I need a competent helper.

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I've noticed with a few Vodafone mobiles that's passed through my hands that they were deliberately "hard locked".

Meaning there was no simple way to enter an unlock (usually cheap) code. They had to be unlocked by cable / box.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I thought the networks HAD to provide unlocking codes these days...

flyingmontyboy
Hooked

Yes they will provide the code keys. . .  . .BUT in their own sweet time, one vodafone chat room guy has said maybe get an answer in 10 days time !!!!!! and another vodefone geek said we'll get it to you in 72 hours,  OH and we'll have to check with Samsung first !!!!!!!

It's a good job us customers are really neccessary, as service would be terrible otherwise. . . . . . .  .