Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Assistant

FIXED
shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Google Assistant

Six months ago, I bought a new Android phone - Samsung A40.  I have continued to use my old phone because I just could not face the horror of having to re-build the new one !  I have kept putting it off.  I know all the settings and data and whatever else can be automatically no doubt transferred, but I hate the thought of losing control !  I want to be in charge of what gets transferred and what gets downloaded, and I do not want Samsung to making those sort of decisions for me.

But unfortunately I have fallen at the first hurdle.  I have discovered that Google Assistant is automatically set to "ON".  I have managed to turn it off more or less but not completely.  On Google, it still says "Say Hey Google" and if I do, I am then invited each time to "Turn Google on" !   That suggests to me that even when OFF, Google is still listening.  And I know of others who get inundated with customised advertisements related to telephone discussions they have recently had, which suggests that Google is listening all the time and using what Google hears for marketing purposes.

So can anyone tell me how I actually manage not only to turn the ****** assistant off permanently and put it in the garbage can, but more importantly how to turn off voice recognition and anything else which might pertain to Google listening ?

I find it hard to believe that, in the modern, sanitised world where every second word is about unnecessary data protection nonsense, Google is nevertheless allowed to listen to your telephone conversations !  I really do not care if anyone knows my health record, how little money I have in my bank account or my inside leg measurement, but I seriously do object to unathorised Big Daddy Google listening to my voice calls for marketing purposes to which I have not consciously agreed.

Rant over........

So if anyone can tell me what to do to lock Google in a sound-proof cupboard where he cannot hear anything, I would most appreciate it !

4 REPLIES 4
newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Google Assistant

This might work. I have a Samsung phone.

Open the Google app., bottom right (more), settings, Google assistant, assistant, your phone should be listed in assisted devices, phone, toggle off as required e.g. Hey Google etc..

Please don't shoot the messenger if it goes belly up! It worked on mine.

shermans
Pro

Thanks.  I did that already.  But whilst the assistant is off, Google is still listening because I get ads still related to telephone conversations I have just had - it is creepy.  Also, if I say "Hey Google", it responds by asking me to turn on the Assistant.  So it is definitely listening still.

newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

Fix

You probably need to go into the Google app again, bottom right "more" - settings and in general and notifictions toggle off as you think necessary.

I have almost everything "off" and don't receive any garbage from Google on the phone.

I will not advise what to toggle off but use your own judgement. Some options in notifications look to be the most intrusive.

shermans
Pro

Thanks, that confirms what I just read elsewhere.  But basically, it appears that i was correct and Google does go on listening even if the Assistant is turned off.  

However, it is worth reading this article which explains everything.

Android Police

So thanks again.