Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G4 enabled and available but can't get data connection

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: G4 enabled and available but can't get data connection

Just found this which confirms your post https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Archive/Improved-4G-coverage-on-the-EE-Network-800MHz-updates/m-p/5466... note that Band 20 is the 800MHz band

@Fatboy71 unfortunately, EE do not allow pay as you go customers to see band 20, they do not enable VoLTE for those customers and therefore they are locked out of the band 20.

Also here https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Archive/Improved-4G-coverage-on-the-EE-Network-800MHz-updates/td-p/509...

Who can benefit?

The new spectrum will be available to pay monthly and SIM customers with a 4G calling-capable handset (also known as VoLTE).

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi,

VOLTE is "a mess" at the moment. 4G is purely a data network and there are no mandated standards on how to implement VOLTE. So operators are free to implement bespoke methods.

The current UK Frequency allocations and spectrum auction wins have resulted in two camps 02/Vodafone and Three/EE.

Broadly:

Voda/O2  4G on 800 MHz, 2G on 900 MHz (+ some 1800 MHz) & 3G 900MHz/2100 MHz

Three/EE  4G on 800 MHz & 1800 MHz, 2G (EE only 1800 MHz), 3G 2100 MHz

Thus, when fully rolled out Voda/O2 4G should match the 2G coverage.

Three & EE 800MHz 4G coverage will exceed their 2G & 3G coverage.

This leaves the opportunity for Three and EE to impose limitations on access to their 800 MHz 4G which are financially favourable to them....

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

I believe that this limitation on 4G service availabilty needs to be more visible in the Advertising / Signup process?  Currently one of the prominent details is 4G service availability via EE.  The "Legal bit" does add a statement that a 'compatible' phone is required but doesn't expand on the compatibility required.

PN  staff should be able to comment @PlusnetLiam

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

As you may have appreciated access to 4G is OK but only on the 1800MHz band

Access to the 800MHz band is possibly not available at all with Plusnet as they don't support VOLTE

MauriceC
Resting Legend

Thanks @Oldjim  I had followed the detail, but should have been a bit more explicit in my observations.  My error!  Embarrassed

However Mr. Joe Average will see EE and 4G and may not investigate the EE site to discover the limitations on access to the 800MHz band.  A little more up front clarity in the actual service would avoid the problem you've discovered whilst not neccessarily detracting from the product value.  Plusnet Mobile is not positioned at the Premium end of MVNO's and could easily avoid misplaced perceptions of potential users?

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Like me - so I will be cancelling as it is totally useless in my area

Fortunately I didn't transfer my Virgin Mobile number

The lowest cost option for me is probably Tesco which uses the O2 network and which doesn't have this restriction

RichardB
Seasoned Champion

Out of interest, does the 4G coverage on the PN coverage checker look accurate for your locality?

Oldjim
Resting Legend

It doesn't because it links to the EE system which assumes that you can get the 800MHx band

2017-07-28_131739.jpg

SeanCorri
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi 

It'll be a good idea to start off with some basic troubleshooting! Could I please ask you to try the below:

• Turn your phone off
  • Take your SIM card out
  • Leave it out for five minutes
  • Pop your SIM card back in
  • Turn your phone back on

If you're still having issues after trying this 

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Done all that

If you read the thread you will see that you do not support 4G on 800MHz which is the problem as the 4G signal is useless on 1800MHz

MauriceC
Resting Legend

Thanks @SeanCorri  but it isn't clear why your suggestions will overcome the following from post #16

@RichardB said:

To compound the problem EE MVNOs like PN do not offer VOLTE. Hence no BT or PN SIMs can access the 800 MHz 4g network

Are you confirming that PN Mobile does now support VOLTE (or other methods) to support use of the EE 800 MHz service?.

SeanCorri
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi 

RichardB
Seasoned Champion

Just to add this mobiletoday article also states that EE MVNOs are excluded from VOLTE but might be allowed access in future.

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/news/industry/44030/exclusive-ee-mvnos-miss-out-on-800mhz-switch-on.asp...

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Final update the O2 Classic Sim is the way to go until I need a lot more data and I am sure it will work https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/pay-as-you-go/#simtype=classicpayasyougo

Calls - 5p a min
Texts - 5p a text
Data - 5p a MB
4G ready
Then I may need to look at GiffGaff for more data usage if needed
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60