Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G4 enabled and available but can't get data connection

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

G4 enabled and available but can't get data connection

Before I give up completely and cancel the contract is there anyway round the problem

I have tried all the suggestions I have found on here

32 REPLIES 32
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: G4 enabled and available but can't get data connection

@Oldjim what do you have in the APN settings ?

I found on my new phone that by default it created APN's for Orange??? https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/APN-settings-defaulted-to-ORANGE/m-p/1460030#M5334

The correct ones are here https://www.plus.net/help/mobile/mobile-phone-and-voicemail-settings/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

already tried that and also with only one sim card in

it just doesn't show 4g in the notification bar just 3

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

with only one sim card in

So is it a dual sim phone then ?

What model phone is it ?

I assume you do have 4g coverage ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

Haven't you had Plusnet for awhile now? Have you never had 4G?

Oldjim
Resting Legend

HomTom HT7 Pro https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01C5NIL64/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and according to this I have https://opensignal.com/ and also checked with my daughters phone which is on EE and she gets a two bar 4G signal

Joined Plusnet mobile in May and I have never got it to work - note that the previous sim didn't provide 4G

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks OJ , from what I can see that phone does support all the LTE bands used in the UK http://www.devicespecifications.com/en/model/09533937 so it ought to work!

To be clear , are you getting no data at all , even on 3g ? or do you get data but not 4g ?

I don't think it's a general PN problem because I've just set up a Cubot Manito dual sim phone, which has very similar specs to yours. I have the PN sim in slot 1 and a giffgaff sim in 2. Sim 1 is set for data and I get 4g , no problem. Although mine is Android 6 ( Marshmallow ) whereas yours is 5.1( Lollipop ) but I don' think that should be a problem.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

It only gets 3G on the Virgin SIm as it is PAYG and I haven't  managed to get data connected on 3G with Plusnet either

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

You do realise that you can only have data ( 3 or 4 g ) on one SIM at a time ? The other SIM will be 2 g only.

I would suggest starting with just the PN SIM in SIM 1 slot. Make sure that you have preferences set for 4/3/2 g and that data is enabled on SIM 1. If that doesn't reap any results then I'll try and get some screenshots of my configuration tomorrow and either post them or PM them to you.

Colin_Maybe
Pro

Take both sims out and put your daughters EE sim in slot 1, that'll tell you if it's the phone or not.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Since I have already tried with only one sim and two sims with data only enabled on the Plusnet sim I am beginning to wonder if it could be a duff sim

As I said the Plusnet sim only shows 3G on the status bar when it should be showing 4G

Note that it shows 4G with no signal when at home when there is no 3G either but when I go to a local high spot it changes to 3G

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Re daughters sim that isn't an option as it is an iPhone and the sim isn't suitable as it is a nano sim

Colin_Maybe
Pro

Just use an adaptor to use a nano sim, they come with the 3 in 1 type of sim from 3, Giffgaff etc. You've probably got one lying around.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi Jim,

I suspect the problem may be related to the 4g frequency band.

EE and Three both have 4G frequency allocations on 800 MHz (band 20) and 1800 MHz (band 3).

The low frequency gives excellent 4G coverage better than the 3G coverage. So much so that only phones which can support Voice calls on 4G (called VOLTE) are allowed by EE to connect to the 800 MHz network. EE want avoid the situation where the only EE signal is the 800 Mhz 4G and the phone would have a signal but could not make or receive calls.

If the phone does not support EE'S VOLTE implementation EE will not let the phone access the 800 MHz network.

Only android phones bought from EE can access the 800 MHZ signal. Most new iPhones can access the signal as Apple had the market power to force EE to support the phones no matter from where they are bought.

To compound the problem EE MVNOs like PN do not offer VOLTE. Hence no BT or PN SIMs can access the 800 MHz 4g network.

Richard

EDIT - fixed typos

Oldjim
Resting Legend

That would indeed explain it as the 4G 1800Mhz is really rotten around here

Also my daughter (same area) switched from EE on an non EE supplied phone because the data connection was really rubbish despite the EE 4G supposed have good coverage and switched to Vodafone which worked fine