cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For how long can I port my mobile number after joining?

FIXED
chinery

For how long can I port my mobile number after joining?

I am planning to join PlusNet on a recent deal. My old operator says that it will take 30 days for them to cancel my contract and send me my PAC code. If I sign up for PlusNet and pay the initial costs today, 

- will I be able to port my phone number using the PAC code in 30 days time, or is there a time limit?
- and if so, will I still be able to use the PlusNet SIM card with its default number in the interim?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

Re: For how long can I port my mobile number after joining?

Fix

You can use a PAC at any time (years down the line) although they usually have a 30 day expiry limit, if you exceed that then you just request a new one. Your old supplier will still be charging you as the contract is still live until you use the PAC.

Yes, you can use the new PN number straight away.

chinery

Many thanks!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

My old operator says that it will take 30 days for them to cancel my contract and send me my PAC code

To be clear, they MUST provide you the PAC code either immediately you ask, by phone or within 2 hours by text . As @Colin_Maybe says, they have a 30 days expiry which means it expires after that period. Once you use the PAC then your cancellation period starts with your old supplier. You should not cancel your contract directly with the old supplier, using the PAC will do that automatically.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

chinery

Thank you for the clarification. As you say, I just received the PAC code from my old supplier, so I've passed this along to PlusNet. Their wording was definitely not clear. But glad it's sorted now!

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

When I moved from EE to Plusnet I contacted EE about not renewing my contract.

After the usual attempts at retaining my custom he offered me my PAC.

Never having gone through this procedure before I told him I would request it nearer to the end of my contract date.

He almost insisted I take the PAC now while on the phone and when I agreed it was immediately sent in a text and an email.

You live and learn.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

When I did a PAC change, if I am correct - if you don't use it after 30 days nothing happens.
It is giving it to another provider when you join them then it does. I believe it takes around 48 hours.

Your new provider will give you a temporary mobile number, but you don't want the hassle of telling people a temp number for 2 days. Keep old SIM on your current number and have new SIM with you. When the old SIM gets disconnected put new one in and done.

I was a bit concerned as I had never done it before but I was surprised how easy it went.

EDIT: It also (I think) cancels the service with your old provider too. So you don't even have to inform them. That's what happened to me.

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

I've just ported 2 numbers from o2 to giffgaff we had a limited time period to use those pac codes.

EDIT: For more clarity, we asked for a pac code which we had sent straight away and that was on the 14th July it says we need to use said pac code by the 12th August.