cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Hour & Already Problems !!!

onlyme4
Dabbler

First Hour & Already Problems !!!

Just switched from Giff Gaff to Plusnet. Right after inserting the PN sim into my Iphone SE I found the phone very laggy and taking about a minute to connect calls, dropping some calls and other calls just not getting through.

Phoned support (within first hour of inserting PN Sim) they told me to 'clean' the Sim and they'd also send out a new sim as this could be the problem? Cleaned sim - no difference ! 

Personally, I've never heard of a duff sim card? Anyone else have this problem? did a new sim solve it? 

I'm a first line carer so can't be without a phone connection; should probably have know better and stayed with giff gaff...'if it ain't broke don't fix it' 

5 REPLIES 5
caravanj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: First Hour & Already Problems !!!

There are lots of threads that contain the advice to clean the SIM contacts but in reality it's no more effective than checking a car by kicking the tyres.

We've just moved from Plusnet to giffgaff, due to signal issues & not being able to reply to short coded texts, & I've not seen any mention of cleaning the SIM card on their forum.

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Hi onlyme4,

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've experienced with your SIM so far. I'm afraid that signal cannot be guaranteed due to the numerous factors that could affect this. These include, the density of building materials, tree cover, weather conditions and how many people are using the network. 

Having said this, we'll always do our best to troubleshoot the issue and one of these steps is a replacement SIM card. 

I'd also advise to pop over to https://myaccount.ee.co.uk/networkchecker/checkservice and check the area for any issues. 

- Rebeka 

caravanj
Aspiring Pro

@onlyme A new SIM card may correct setup issues with your phone but it cannot improve your signal strength if that's the cause of your problem.

How many bars of signal strength does your phone show when you're in the house & does it show 4G?

onlyme4
Dabbler

New sim card didn't fix the problem. Appears there is a black spot in my area where EE say there should be full coverage, but there isn't. Ended up terminating the Plusnet mobile service and going with Vodafone, where I get a full signal and 4G.

caravanj
Aspiring Pro

Therein lies the problem because Plusnet don't provide the same coverage / signal strength as EE so using the Plusnet coverage checker, which uses the EE coverage data, will give a totally false result in some areas.