cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email problems on iPhone 5C

Rosie7
Hooked

Email problems on iPhone 5C

I have an iPhone 5c and can send emails but it will not receive incoming on my second plusnet email account. I have checked all the settings (even with Apple) and they are all correct. Have tried deleting account and resetting it and it still doesn't work. It works on my Plusnet account email but not on my second email address which is the only one I really use. It also works on my Gmail account. Any suggestions?  Plusnet say it's nothing to do with them - must be the phone!!!!

13 REPLIES 13
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Email problems on iPhone 5C

I'm not an iPhone expert but I suspect it's down to a wrong username/password in the incoming server configuration. There's a detailed ( but old ) setup guide here https://www.plus.net/help/archive/email/ios-setup/ . For additional mailboxes the username is accountname+mailboxname, click the 'I don't know what these are'  against the Username & password details for the Incoming server in the link above for a detailed explanation.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Rosie7
Hooked

Thanks for your reply but all details have been checked multiple times and all entries are as they should be. Even the Apple tech guy went through everything on screen share and he couldn't find anything wrong! I am beginning to think it's because the iPhone 5c is possibly a bit outdated. Hope to change the phone next month so let's hope that cures the problem.  The email works fine on both my iPad and iMac so I know the setting are correct.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting in touch @Rosie7

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with your e-mails.

Can you confirm if you're getting a specific error that pops up?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Rosie7
Hooked

The emails are received on my computer and my IPad but they do not reach my iPhone. I have spent about three hours on phone to Plusnet and another hour+ with Apple technical help and still no results. Plusnet help said nothing wrong with them as emails are reaching other devices! 

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @Rosie7

I am afraid there is little we can do other than making sure the correct settings are there which is something you said you are sure of as it was checked by my colleagues and by Apple. I would personally put it down to the device as you are receiving emails perfectly on the other devices. If this is the case we are very limited to what we can advise if the issue is happening on one device. You might find the answer through one of our community forum members that has had a similar issue.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
Rosie7
Hooked

I have now changed to an IPhone 6s and now I cannot send or receive on my plusnet account. Emails on iCloud and Gmail work perfectly . All the settings are identical to those on my iMac and IPad so now at a total loss as to what the problem is! I am still waiting for a call from "someone with more technical knowledge" to call me back from Plusnet. I have only had this problem since switching to Plusnet Mobile on my phone. No problems when with Vodaphone!! Two years of no resolve to this problem is no joke!! I have lost count of the number of times I have deleted and reinstated the email account. 

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Rosie7,

I'm sorry that you're unable to access your Plusnet email account from your iPhone 6s and for any inconvenience that this is causing you.

To confirm, have you been trying to access your emails through the Apple Mail app or are you using a different email client on your iPhone?

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Rosie7
Hooked

Through the Apple mail app.

Rosie7
Hooked

Your email came through on the "craftclock" email address which is not used by me. The problem is with the "robill" address which is my primary email.

Rosie7
Hooked

I think, at last, I may have solved the problem!! All to do with username settings.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi @Rosie7,

I'm sorry for the delay in picking your messages back up. I'm glad to hear that this now looks to be resolved. Please let us know if you experience any further problems with your emails or if there's anything else that you'd like to discuss.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Rosie7
Hooked

Thanks. It might be helpful, going forward, if your "help" teams made it more clear how a second email address (on plusnet) needs to be identified in the settings. It has taken me a long time to find out how to do this myself. It probably would have saved me upgrading my phone instead of being told that it was a "phone problem"!

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thank you for your feedback @Rosie7, I'll pass this on and I'm sorry for the poor experience that you had in regards to this issue.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team