cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EU roaming weirdness

voteforpedro

EU roaming weirdness

As we know EU roaming charges are a thing of the past. However, on landing in Cyprus today my wife on giffgaff gets a text message saying, yes, no roaming charges. I get text detailing ridiculous roaming charges. See screenshot. This doesn't fill me with confidence to turn on data roaming. 😕
11 REPLIES 11
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: EU roaming weirdness

not on a UK only plan are you?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
voteforpedro

What is UK only plan? I was under the impression this affected everything?
Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

I posted this elsewhere but they're still allowed to sell contracts without roaming abilities and their website now reflects this. Three do the same as you don't get roaming with their 'essentials' plans (no doubt the others will add cheap deals without roaming too).

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

BUT seeing as the OP received a text when in Cyprus them roaming must be enabledRoll_eyes

Therefore it can't be a UK only plan.

Another case of confusion that PN need to sort out...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

That looks like a text from PN advising of charges, he may be able to receive them but could still end up paying to send anything (presuming he can send).

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I agree, it us a text from PN but my point is that in order to even RECEIVE texts roaming must be enabled. If roaming was disabled then the SIM would not be permitted to register on the foreign network and therefore could not receive the text.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak

I read uk only as not being able to use your allowance abroad - not a block on all roaming
Customer / Moderator
voteforpedro

UPDATE

So I've been using data roaming on and off and in Historical Usage in my account it says 'Data Roaming Originating - Zone 1' at zero cost. So hopefully not being charged!

By the way I'm on SIM only plan.
dvorak

Well that's good news at least Smiley
Customer / Moderator
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

That is good news!

@dvorak 

I read uk only as not being able to use your allowance abroad - not a block on all roaming

My understanding is that roaming must be disabled. The EU regulation says that you must be able to use your phone at the same cost as at home. Hence for a UK only plan, roaming must be disabled, otherwise use when roaming must be included at the same cost as UK i.e included in the plan .

Enjoy 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @voteforpedro

We do offer Roam Like At Home to most of our plans, however the £5 plans are UK only. If you're not currently on one of these plans and have received the text message feel free to send me a Private Message and I can take a look into this for you. If you're on a £5 UK only plan but would like to change to one of our plans that includes Roam Like At Home you can also drop me a PM to discuss the options.