Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EDGE connection only

FIXED
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

EDGE connection only

Got my SIM on Monday.  Initiated a port which completed on Tuesday evening.

At no point did I get any data, despite calls/texts working.  I suspect I was affected by the wider data problem that week.

Since getting data access back this morning, I'm ONLY getting an EDGE connection.   When looking at the mobile networks settings in Android, it shows that the SIM only allows 2G connections.   See screenshot.

My phone has dual sim ports and it doesn't matter which port it's in.  Also, my other Giffgaff sim works fine with 4G, so it's not a phone problem.

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
28 REPLIES 28
alocke
Hooked

Re: EDGE connection only

Do you know what I have spoken too soon. I did have a Plusnet 4G signal, but I can't get one back again... I took my sim out to run some speed checks with my existing Virgin 3G sim, put the PlusNet sim back in again and all I get is 3G (HSDPA). I take it out and put an EE sim in it and instantly 4G signal (two bars). I've tried restarting phone multiple times, airplane mode on, turning phone off, eject sim, wait a few minutes, turn phone on, airplane mode off and same problem... Tried resetting network settings but same issue. 

Anyone else getting the same issue? BTW I am using iPhone 6S and Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options shows:

Enable 4G: Voice & Data

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Hi 

Kelly
Hero

I've reset to the default APN which the network/sim provides which doesn't fix it.  Also, those default settings are slightly different to those on the help pages / in your reply:

Name: EE Internet
APN: everywhere
Username: eesecure
Password: secure
MMSC: http://mms/   <---- blank
MMS Proxy: 149.254.201.135  <--- blank
MMS Port: 8080 <--- blank
Authentication type: PAP
APN type: If there's a choice, choose internet+mms. If the keyboard appears, type   <--- default,supl

Interestingly, the ones that are different are sett min the MMS apn.

Changing the settings to match exactly doesn't fix it.  Still EDGE only.

Kelly Dorset
Kelly
Hero

Alocke: you're definitely getting 3G, and not EDGE?

Kelly Dorset
RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Can you pop over to https://www.plus.net/mobile/coverage-checker/ and check your coverage.

- Rebeka 

Kelly
Hero

I'm sat in the PN office Smiley

Kelly Dorset
alocke
Hooked

I've left my phone for a number of minutes and it's regained the 4G signal. I will monitor it and see what happens. I was getting 3G (HSDPA) and not Edge. I'd try the APN reset, turn phone off, eject sim, wait a few minutes, insert sim, turn on, go back to APN settings and check if you have new settings and if not, add as per @RebekaPreston and see what happens.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

@Kelly

Hmm, I've not got a dual sim, not with PN and although I'm using a HTC I've just checked my APN which is ticked and my settings are similar to yours, as in I too have the blank sections you have...

However is also have another APN file that can't be ticked and it's this 2nd folder that contains my remaining settings (the ones that you have blank)

So what I'm trying to say, it might be possible that you need one folder as per the one you already have and another folder for the 'missing' info (off the 1st APN folder).

(hope that makes sense?)

edit. my 1st folder contains default,suppl Undecided

joe77
Hooked

Well I'm absolutely gutted! Saw the notifications this morning about the data problem being fixed - but nothing has changed for me. Typed in the APN settings as recommended by Rebekah in this thread, but still no data connection. I have full signal, just no data. Tried turning the phone off & on, airplane mode off & on etc. but nothing appears to have changed. 

Kelly
Hero

DS: I think the second file is the MMS settings and is only used when sending MMS messages, so it should be fine.  Also, these are the defaults and set straight from the network/sim so should be ok.

Kelly Dorset
Kelly
Hero

Joe77: Want to take your stuff to the no data thread? https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/No-Data-Android/td-p/1401847/jump-to/first-unread-message  I think your problem is different than this one Smiley

Also, let us know what phone type you have etc.

Kelly Dorset
DS
Seasoned Champion

I think that's what I'm trying to get at ...?

I have the facility to send mms, but as they're different to sms, they're chargeable on my network

Calls, texts and data come out of my allowance - mms is an additional cost.

You really could do with somebody using a dual sim to pop on here.

Kelly
Hero

Sorry wasn't clear.  I have both the "EE Internet" and "EE MMS" APNs.

Kelly Dorset
DS
Seasoned Champion

Makes sense though. As I have 2 separate 'net and 'mms' APNs too - yet mine does work (although not on PN).

Therefore I think that just because your phone has put them in to separate folders, it shouldn't stop you from getting 4G