cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does this code switching (keeping old phone number) work with a Pay as you go sim?

FIXED
kmw350
Rising Star

Does this code switching (keeping old phone number) work with a Pay as you go sim?

I have a couple of questions:

1)I have a Pay as you go sim. I'd like to keep the number if I decide to take a monthly call plan with Plusnet. Does this switching definitely work with a PAYG sim?

2) My wife and I are both interested, but obviously I would benefit from the offer of an extra 2GB of data, as I am a current Plusnet broadband customer. Are there any call plan offers for couples, or must she sign up as an individual? (If there are not, surely it's something worth thinking about - a joint call plan with a shared data total? Just a thought).

Thank you for any answers.

10 REPLIES 10
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Does this code switching (keeping old phone number) work with a Pay as you go sim?

Thanks for your post @kmw350

@kmw350 wrote:

1)I have a Pay as you go sim. I'd like to keep the number if I decide to take a monthly call plan with Plusnet. Does this switching definitely work with a PAYG sim?

As long as it's a UK mobile number, it should be fine.

2) My wife and I are both interested, but obviously I would benefit from the offer of an extra 2GB of data, as I am a current Plusnet broadband customer. Are there any call plan offers for couples, or must she sign up as an individual? (If there are not, surely it's something worth thinking about - a joint call plan with a shared data total? Just a thought).

The good news is that she can benefit from the extra 2GB of data as well so I'd recommend signing her up on an 'existing [broadband] customer' offer shown here https://www.plus.net/mobile/sim-only-30-day/existing-customer-offer

From our Mates Rates guide Here 

"You can register up to 5 mobile accounts on Mates Rates. These can be registered in anyone's name so long as they live at the same address as where your broadband is registered. All you’ll need is your broadband account details so that we can confirm you are an existing customer."

Let me know if you've got any further questions. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
kmw350
Rising Star

Re: Does this code switching (keeping old phone number) work with a Pay as you go sim?

Thank you Gandalf, I'll take a look at the offer.

Could you also advise, perhaps this is a stupid question, but does it really matter if network coverage is not so good at home? Surely it will happily connect to my router via wifi while at home so I will only really need the mobile network coverage when I go out anywhere else?

Thanks

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

@kmw350 Plusnet Mobile does not offer Wi-Fi calling, which you would need for that to be an option.

John
kmw350
Rising Star

Ah yes I see. I was getting myself confused.

So to be clear, is it still possible to connect my mobile via wifi to my Plusnet router, in order to browse the internet while at home, which would save the mobile data for when I am elsewhere?

And could I still use Whatsapp via the router while at home?

Thanks, (and again I'm sorry if these are simple questions, I've only ever used a PAYG phone so never had to give this any thought).

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

Thanks for getting back to us @kmw350 

No problem, aye that’ll still work Smiley

Let us know if you’ve got further queries. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jab1
Legend

The answer to both those questions is yes, and AFAIK, you HAVE to be connected via Wi-Fi to use WhatsApp.

No problem, we all learn as we go.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

WhatsApp does work on mobile data. It though doesn’t work on a desktop device unless you cast it from your phone through web.whatsapp.com Smiley

^That’s how WhatsApp is designed. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jab1
Legend

Never knew that @Gandalf  - but there again I must admit to never trying it, as my phones mobile data is never switched on. 😉

Tried the desktop app, but had no call to use it since installing.

John
kmw350
Rising Star

Thanks Gandalf, I'm not a heavy user of Whatsapp, I just was trying to understand if I could still turn off the mobile data at home and make use of my wifi instead Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Makes sense, no problem at all. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet