Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Plusnet Mobile use LTE Advanced?

Elliot
Grafter

Does Plusnet Mobile use LTE Advanced?

i.e. 300 Mbps.

I am looking to buy a USB 4G dongle but there's no point in me paying extra for a 300 Mbps-capable model if Plusnet only supports, for example, 150 Mbps.

4 REPLIES 4
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Does Plusnet Mobile use LTE Advanced?

Thanks for getting in touch @Elliot.

I can confirm we don't use this at this moment in time

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
RobC
Pro
Fixes: 3

@Elliot 

As far as I am aware, Plusnet only support to 30Mbps, and there are no confirmed plans  I am aware of to change this. (other than fanciful suggestions something might happen one day)

Happy to be corrected on this if appropriate.

Just as I am not aware of even any confirmed planned intentions of support for:

short number texting (except perhaps to plusnet themselves now they are aware of the need next month), or Wifi calling and VoLTE calling among a number of other things.

You also need to take the suggestions to use EE coverage checker to see how good your signal will be with a large pinch of salt as Plusnet customers do not have access to the EE 800Mhz band.

I'm not sure just how much of EE's coverage the 800Mhz band caters for - but it must be quite a bit.

Show us ONE just ONE real, defined benefit for the British public from Brexit

Brexit Promised cake .... But just delivers a stream of Cack
... and expects us all to just swallow it
Brexit - Built from Bovine Manure by Bots
Anonymous
Not applicable

RobC  said

I'm not sure just how much of EE's coverage the 800Mhz band caters for - but it must be quite a bit.

I think it's already quite a lot and will be more as 5G is expanded which PlusNet will not have access to

Brian A

RobC
Pro
Fixes: 3

@Anonymous 

I've been doing a few test on my current id sim compared to the PN sims performance

I thought the ID sim was doing better because it was using the 800 band with its better penetration, but it isn't. I switched of VOLTE to see if it made a difference over the last week.

The id sim is performing far better using the same 1800 band as the PN sim was using in my poor connection area.

O2 still better than either, but only a bit better than the id sim.

Speedtests of both ID + PN appear similar at around 24 down 1.2up at best (in garden) - simply moving around in my house easily halves that though as it did with PN.

Trees and huge shrubs may be great for the soul, but not so good for mobiles in an already poor reception area LOL

BUT The id sim is loading pages far faster and more reliably than PN did despite similar speedtests (and 3 generally thought of as slower than PN in ideal situations)

The ID sim is vastly superior to the PN sim in call connection and reliability, with none of the issues I was plagued with from the word go with PN.

It isnt even a stronger signal - still commonly -111 to -115ish in my computer room corner seat, just as it was with PN.

Makes you wonder just what is happening between the customers -> PN -> EE and back (or not).

Show us ONE just ONE real, defined benefit for the British public from Brexit

Brexit Promised cake .... But just delivers a stream of Cack
... and expects us all to just swallow it
Brexit - Built from Bovine Manure by Bots