cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I make a mistake trying to switch away?

FIXED
Camaj
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Did I make a mistake trying to switch away?

I'm currently paying for two mobile contracts, and I want to cancel the other one (Three) and stay with Plusnet. Ideally I want to do this without phoning Three. A solution appeared recently in the form of the automated service so I got a STAC number from Three and texted PORT to 07507 307996

I got a message asking for the number I wanted to keep and I entered my Plusenet number, then I was asked for my STAC number which I provided and finally I replied YES to the message asking for confirmation. That was on the 1st July and supposedly the switch was due to happen the next day.

A week later and it hasn't gone through and I get a message on Monday saying the switch was happening Tuesday. Except it didn't happen then either! This morning I got a phone call from Plusnet and they told me there was a problem, they said the number I wanted to keep was being used (yes, by me!) and generally it was a bit confusing. In their defence I probably said I texted my number starting 447 because I was trying to read the messages while on the phone.

The upshot was that the caller suggested I ring Three and tell them I wanted to leave which is exactly what I'm trying to avoid! Did I do something wrong or have I misunderstood? The Plusnet rep seemed to be suggesting that the STAC number system was for new customers not customers who are trying to cancel their other contract. My understanding is that if you give your STAC number to a network they'll tell your old network you're leaving and that's that.

42 REPLIES 42
RobC
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Did I make a mistake trying to switch away?

Stac - leave without taking number

Pac - leave taking number

In both cases you GET the stac/pac from your old supplier and submit the pac/stac to your new supplier who action it

In the case of the three number/account you want to cancel, you submit that stac/pac to PN who cancel the old account.

Any number asked for in a STAC process with a  second supplier should be the number of the account you are terminating.

Not a number you wish to keep as far as I am aware.

When you request a stac, the supplier who's service you are terminating might ask for confirmation of a number - this would be the number you are terminating, not one you wish to keep on the other service.

I haven't used the PN system so am not sure of the precise interaction

There may be some confusion as with a pac the providers may ask for confirmation of the number you wish to keep - there may be a slightly inappropriate message used in the process you describe.

Show us ONE just ONE real, defined benefit for the British public from Brexit

Brexit Promised cake .... But just delivers a stream of Cack
... and expects us all to just swallow it
Brexit - Built from Bovine Manure by Bots
Camaj
Dabbler

Any number asked for in a STAC process with a  second supplier should be the number of the account you are terminating.

Not a number you wish to keep as far as I am aware.

The message plusnet sent me says "Thanks for asking to port your number over to Plusenet Mobile. To continue please confirm the 11 digit mobile number you wish to keep, starting 07"

I replied with my Plusnet number since that's what I want to keep (although if I didn't I'd be sending a PAC but maybe they're just being ultra careful?)

To be clear, Three didn't ask me for my number which isn't surprising since I was texting from that number

RobC
Pro

That appears to be the PN pac process

RobC
Pro

Although the PN help pages tell you how to get a pac/stac I cant find anything on PN actioning a stac/pac other than 'contact us'

Likely:

PN are using/have cloned the pac system and haven't changed the notification - and they should be asking for the number you wish to terminate (a confirmation)

Possible:

PN Have messed up the stac process

Perhaps one of the staff here can confirm what number a stac should be sent to, and the process that should be occurring,

and if there is a problem?

(Other services seem largely the same re detail on incoming stacs)

RobC
Pro

5075 (pac)

85075 (info)

75075 (stac)

RobC
Pro

Ah

You texted PORT rather than STAC to 75075

so you perhaps got a PAC from three

... and it would seem PN are not trapping PAC's sent to the STAC number if  that is the case.

(and it seems neither service is trapping the wrong text sent to the wrong number)

RobC
Pro

@RobC wrote:

*** 5075 (pac)

85075 (info)

75075 (stac)

Correction: I believe that should be 65075 for PACs

Camaj
Dabbler

@RobC wrote:

Ah

You texted PORT rather than STAC to 75075

so you perhaps got a PAC from three

I texted PORT to 07507 307 996. They asked for either a PAC or STAC code and I provided the STAC, so it doesn't seem to be a case of me using the wrong number or using PORT when I should have used STAC. As far as I can see there's no separate process for STAC, although it's a bit confusing using PORT but giving a STAC and the number you want to keep would make fairly sure that the user isn't making a mistake

Wouldn't the shortcodes you give be used for the provider I'd be leaving? I wouldn't text those numbers from my Plusnet phone unless I was leaving Plusnet

RobC
Pro

I believe they are universal numbers, and those are the ones used by Three

http://www.three.co.uk/support/switching/switch-to-three/details

You get the STAC from Three by txting STAC to 75075 FROM A THREE MOBILE

I assume you then send the STAC code (AS TEXT) to PN 75075 from a PN mobile or give it to them over the phone

- but THIS NEEDS CONFIRMING BY THE STAFF HERE.

- the detail for PN receive seems to be lacking from the help pages

and it does seem like PN think you are giving them a PAC

Camaj
Dabbler

@RobC wrote:

and it does seem like PN think you are giving them a PAC

Not sure how they could think that given that the numbers are completely different unless they don't check the number to see whether it's a PAC or STAC and just assume it's a PAC, which is odd given that they ask for either in their reply. It would also mean that when they ask what number you want to keep they don't recognise that it's your existing number or not. I would think that's unlikely but who knows.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Having read all of that through.  You have:

• Number A with Plusnet
  • Number B with Three

You want to keep number A, and stay with Plusnet.  Is that correct?  If so, why are you not just cancelling Three.  Plusnet wouldn't need to be involved.  You would just continue using your Plusnet Number (A) with Plusnet providing it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Camaj
Dabbler

@pjmarsh wrote:

Having read all of that through.  You have:

• Number A with Plusnet
  • Number B with Three

You want to keep number A, and stay with Plusnet.  Is that correct?  If so, why are you not just cancelling Three.  Plusnet wouldn't need to be involved.  You would just continue using your Plusnet Number (A) with Plusnet providing it.

That's true but you could equally ask why have the STAC if that were the case. Sending a STAC to a new provider is (supposedly) the same as simply cancelling it directly but being able to do it indirectly.

RobC
Pro

exactly

and it should action it quickly (within 24 hours) like the PAC should be.

Although PN do have a very poor record on processing pacs in or out in my experience.

and Where the heck are PN official support to confirm or correct all this?

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

No problem, I just wanted to check.  I've not come across STAC before, and it seems a more complicated way to me.

As for PN staff, it's only just been 2 hours since it was first posted.  Give them a chance at least!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.