cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delay in number porting

theadz01

Delay in number porting

My previous supplier (EE) cut my phone off Friday afternoon. I have since been without my number, since then. I have made numerous calls to Plusnet, and feel like I am being fobbed off.

OFCOM states number porting should take a maximum of 2 days. I put my initial request in on Thursday 8th, so this is now in the 4th working day. 

I haven't got an answer as to when this will happen. Beginning to regret switching to Plusnet, and also considering my future as a Plusnet fibre customer.

10 REPLIES 10
philioso
Dabbler

Re: Delay in number porting

Ah, your on the same timescale as me!

Submitted on the 8th, number dead on the 9th, lots of fobbing off ever since. On a brief positive note, my phone number has completed porting today.

By the way, current Ofcom regulations state porting must be completed within 1 working day of customer PAC code submission. It was 2 days, but was shortened in 2011. You can mention it to PlusNet - but in my experience they couldn't care less. If it's not done on schedule you can ask for "reasonable compensation" - I hate to think how insignificant that would be though compared to the disruption/stress caused.

I've never had such a bad porting experience in over a decade of migrating my number. So disappointed and certainly would not recommend PlusNet based on this experience. Thankfully I'm done now, so will sleep on it a few days and then decide whether I hang around or go to a more competent provider - if all runs smoothly now it should be fine, but if something goes wrong I just can't trust them to actually take an interest in helping resolve things (although all staff have been friendly and polite throughout).

Goodluck!

joejl

I assume Plusnet staff read these posts -  though on the evidence of this and at least one other thread they don't like to respond to posts about delays in restoring a service to numbers ported from another supplier.

As a best practice example of customer support - can Plusnet confirm that the Ofcom guidance you mention is accurate and does apply to them? current Ofcom regulations state porting must be completed within 1 working day of customer PAC code submission

theadz01

Mine has finally completed this afternoon. So approx 4 working days in total for me. The weekend was an additional annoyance, but I appreciate porting doesn't happen at weekends

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

When porting in, it can take up to 2 working days to fully process. There will be some disruption on the network in the meantime, but this is part of the number transfer. 

I'm unable to discuss account specifics publicly, so drop me a message with any queries you may have and I'll be more than happy to help!

- Rebeka Smiley

philioso
Dabbler

Rebeka, could you advise us all on how PlusNet mobile are not subject to the one working day porting regulations?

All mobile operators and virtual operators are subject to this - as per Ofcom regulations. But your opting out?

How can this be? What don't we know? Are you not providing UK based mobile services under Ofcom regulation?

I'm seriously thinking of leaving, as it worries me as to what other legislation PlusNet is opting not to follow.

Ofcom published this statement in 2011:
(https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/media-releases/2011/changes-to-european-telecoms-l...)

"The new regulations require mobile providers to port customers' mobile phone numbers to a new provider within one working day.

Ofcom implemented this on 11 April 2011 for individual mobile numbers and it is now extended to other customers, such as businesses, who want to port a large number of mobile numbers at one time."

"Providers will also have to pay reasonable compensation to customers should they not port the number within one working day, or if there is an abuse of the porting process."

Fixed lines allow additional time to make sure it's a genuine request for porting - avoiding "slamming" - but this does NOT apply to mobile numbers.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @philioso

We do always advise the 2 working days for a port to complete as depending on the time we receive the information from a customer it may not be picked up till the following day. We’d then look to having this complete within the 24 hour timescale as implemented by Ofcom; however in your situation there was a delay.

This has been raised as high priority to our network team who are working to have this fixed as quickly as possible, and once you’re port is complete you will be compensated for any time over the 24 hours and receive the text message to confirm the port as originally advised.  

I do apologise for the inconvenience and rest assure we're doing all we can to have this resolved quickly. 

Mason
Dabbler

I've now been waiting since 12th September... It's now 23rd October....... Count yourself lucky... I am stressed to max
SarahStewart
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 6

Hi @Mason

thanks for getting in touch. 

I'm very sorry to hear about the long delay on your port, this certainly isn't what we expect. 

If you used our text to port service have you received any confirmation text? 

If you drop me a message I can look into your account and see if we can find the hold up for you. 

Mason
Dabbler

That would be great......... I would love to know the reason for the delay....
Mason Richards

[Removed] (temp number lol)

The number I'm porting is [Removed]....rebekka in complaints is helping..... All have been great with me and I can't fault their sympathy and help.... They just don't know what's caused delay.

In next 2 weeks i am going to attempt to port it to giff gaff.... I was given new pac from company I'm leaving... (My son works there) as the old pac out of date.

I'm told by rebekka it's still usable as it's locked in.

Would really appreciate your help as I want to stay with plusnet... I've had fibre optic home Internet off you guys around 3 years now

Kind regards

Mason Smiley

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Personal information removed from a public forum to an area that staff can see.

Mason
Dabbler

Hi there, I've sent a message, think it's gone to original thread when I posted about 7 week delay.... Sorry.... Not too good navigating this site