Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data bolt on/excess data charge

pkw
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Data bolt on/excess data charge

Can someone clarify this?

If I exceed my data allowance, I'll be charged £1.50 for up to 250M for a day and if I exceed that, another £1.50 for £250 next day etc.

Or I can choose to buy a bolt-on for £2 for 250M.

Is that right? If yes, whats the point of buying a bolt-on?

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
pkw
Aspiring Pro

Re: Data bolt on/excess data charge

Any staff available to comment? @Gandalf?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sorry for the delayed response.

That is a bit odd, thanks for letting us know. I'll see if I can pass this on to the relevant people to investigate further.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
pkw
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for the reply @Gandalf.

This is not an issue I'm reporting, these are official Plusnet charges. In the past when I ran out of data near the end of the month, I'd buy a data bolt on but it seems to me that I should have not bothered and just kept using data for which an automatic charge of £1.50 would be applied.

A couple of times I also exceeded my data allowance unknowingly by a few KB for which I was charged £1.50, then proceeded to buy a bolt on, then get the £1.50 refunded. I think it could be made more straightforward. I'd scrap bolt-ons for 250M altogether.

p.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yeah I see your point, cheers again for the feedback. Happy to pass it on. Smiley
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

If I exceed my data allowance, I'll be charged £1.50 for up to 250M for a day and if I exceed that, another £1.50 for £250 next day etc. 

Or I can choose to buy a bolt-on for £2 for 250M.

Is that right? If yes, whats the point of buying a bolt-on?

If I understand correctly the Bolt-On runs until the end of your billing period.  So let's say you reach your data limit, and then go on to use a bit of data every day but not exceeding 250meg in total.  With the bolt-on this would cover all those days for a total of £2.00.  Paying normal out of scope charges would be £1.50 for each of those days.   Or have I misunderstood the way it's charged?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've got a response back from one of my marketing colleagues advising that this is working as designed.

Yeah what you've explained @aesmith is correct.

Having a bolt-on seems to be useful if you don't want to use all of the 250MB in one day.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet