cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer service rules changing all the time and I'm left with broken SIM

georgepop
Hooked

Customer service rules changing all the time and I'm left with broken SIM

My current SIM has issues and randomly people can't call me (includes known numbers or new). This is annoying because I've just changed my 3G SIM with a 4G one 1,5 weeks ago. I have contacted customer service and they've sent a replacement SIM which, unfortunately I can't activate because customer service wants me to pass 2 security check levels. 

I wouldn't have a problem to provide those information however, as a principle, I don't want to because I've managed previously to change plan, order new SIM and a replacement SIM just with one level and neither of the customer service agents asked me for a 2 tier security access. They were asking me my name, full address, the last 2 digits of the sort code and the last 3 digits of the account number after which I was able to get all the information needed and to do everything that I had to to the account.

One week ago, while ordering the replacement SIM, the agent asked me if I want to waive the sort code and account number question and set-up a security question. He advised that from then on Plusnet customer service would use that security question for granting access to the account.

Today I've called to activate the replacement SIM and after answering the name, address and security question questions I was asked for the last 2 digits of the sort code and the last 3 digits of the account number. I've tried to explain the agent that I shouldn't be asked that because I've set the security question but she was adamant that I have to. I've asked to speak with a supervisor/manager and apparently I can't do that as well without the two tier security level. When I've asked how was possible before she told me that her colleagues were wrong. Obviously she is the most correct agent in Plusnet - and I have to believe her.

The reason I've set the security question is so I don't have to look for my wallet and card all the times I want to speak with customer service. I find it even more unreasonable to be so strict given that it is an issue with the Plusnet service which they should try to address and fix as soon as possible. I pay the contract for a certain service which I don't receive now and I intend to address to Trading Standards. 

I was obviously calling from my number, I knew all the answers to their questions and I just wanted to activate a replacement SIM. I think it's time to switch to a different provider, this "We'll do you proud" lie doesn't stand anymore.

3 REPLIES 3
OliGaffney
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 7

Re: Customer service rules changing all the time and I'm left with broken SIM

Hi there @georgepop! Thanks for getting in touch.

I won't be able to discuss our security processes as we don't reveal the details of these to customers for fraud prevention purposes.

We also do reserve the right to change our security procedure at any time, as we are always striving to protect our customers and their accounts!

I'm so sorry that you feel that there have been inconsistencies.

Depending on the circumstances, certain actions on the account would require additional security, and some require only basic security. 

Providing that your security question has been properly set up, we should be able to get you through this additional security without any issue.

If you'd like to send me a private message I'll be able to complete this and activate your replacement SIM Smiley

Thank you

-Oli

georgepop
Hooked

Hi Oli,

Thank you for your reply. I'm not debating your security processes, I am happy to follow those, it's just that one agent tells me something, another something else. If you remember it was exactly yourself (or someone using your ID) that helped me to change the tariff and activate my current SIM, about 1.5 weeks ago. To do all that you asked, like all other agents until today, my name, address and the last 2 digits of the sort code and the last 3 of the account number. It was good enough. Since then I became so dangerous for Plusnet that I'm required to pass extra security, right? 

Or you have changed the security processes in the last week?

Either way you turn it, it doesn't sound like customer service is following the same rules. But who cares? Customers can spend their free time to call customer service and fix problems created by others.

MichaelWilliams
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 15

If I may expand slightly on Oli's answer, we need extra security to perform certain actions, whereas other actions need only level one security.

I can confirm we haven't changed this process in the past week.

Whilst we can't explain the security process in full, I'm happy to provide a little more context via PM if you'd like?