cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit reporting on cancelled account

Evee2000

Credit reporting on cancelled account

I recently signed up to Plusnet Mobile - was a good offer. My current provider then matched the offer and to save any hassle I agreed to stay with them. I immediately contacted Plusnet and cancelled the order. I received a refund of my deposit and confirmation that the order was cancelled. This month I pulled up my credit report and was surprised to see an entry for Plusnet mobile on there. This appears to have had a negative affect on my credit score as it looks as tho I signed up to two new mobile contracts in one month. There were no other changes in my report but my score has dropped 30 points. Should Plusnet be reporting on my credit file when we have no contract?
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit reporting on cancelled account

The same thing happen to me when PlusNet took over from Life my credit rating dropped a few points I thought it was strange

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

@Evee2000 a credit check would be run at the time of you taking out the contract which you did, so I'd have expected it to appear as a search against you and as an account as it was probably still open at the time of the report.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MarcJohnson
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hello Pam,

For you to then cancel an account with us, you'll have been accepted already by a credit check which is automatically submitted through to Experian as the first step of attempting to process your order. We receive a confirmation or decline back from them, but no additional details or instructions are sent or come back to us.

For more information about how credit checks affect your credit score, you should speak to Experian on 0344 481 0800, as we don't manage credit ratings ourselves.

Hope that helps! Smiley

Mav
Fixes: 514

@MarcJohnson wrote:

Hello Pam,

We receive a confirmation or decline back from them, but no additional details or instructions are sent or come back to us.

I thought an acceptance or decline was made by the company requesting a credit reference based on the received report and that the agency themselves don't make that decision?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Evee2000

Hi I would expect a credit check - have no problem with that. That's not my issue - Plusnet is reporting my status on a month by month basis 😕
Evee2000

So to clarify - it's not the credit 'search' that is the problem but the reporting of my 'repayment history' on a monthly basis that is. Why is this being reported on a non existent account and which team do I speak to to get it stopped? I have spoken on 'chat' and promised a manager call back within 48 hours (is that standard?). Of course no call came (that was on Monday).
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Evee2000

This does sound like there has been error here, however for me to investigate this further I would need some more information. If you could send me a Private Message about this, that would be great and we could discuss the next steps to resolve this matter. 

newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

Yes, this exact same thing happened to me. I signed up to Life Mobile way back in October 2016 but cancelled within the 14 day period (rubbish EE signal).

Nothing in my credit report until Plusnet took them over and a PN Mobile account appeared in my credit file. Note - not a search but a live account.

I disputed this with the report provider and it has now disappeared after their intervention and reported contact with PN.