cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Check?!?!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Check?!?!

I signed up for a SIM only deal today. One for my girlfriend and for me.

Order for my girlfriend's SIM went through without any problems. Order for my own SIM declined because I failed a credit check. No further explaination.

I have very good credit, own a home with small and cheap mortgage. Both my girlfriend and I work (and have never been unemployed so together some 60 years of traceable employment). I have never had any issues getting credit and it seems ridiculous that I can get a mortgage for a house, or get a loan for a car, signd up for 12m broadband from PN! and have 2 credit cards (that I pay in full every month!) but get turned down for a £5 a month on a ONE MONTH contract!

I'd even input my bank details for the direct debit, the account is of course in credit (and has always been in credit) 

Puzzling why PN took my first month payment from my card if they don't want me as a customer.

Puzzling on what grounds I was refused.

11 REPLIES 11
RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 31

Re: Credit Check?!?!

Hi bbotje.

Thanks for getting in touch with us. 

I'm sorry to hear that you experienced difficulty signing up to a SIM only deal. From what you have described, it sounds as if the order may have either been declined, or in a pending state. If it is in pending, you'll soon receive notification via email, requiring you to provide additional information such as proof of address, to continue with the order. 

When signing up with us, the credit/debit card that you use for the upfront payment, does need to be in the account holders name and address for it to process successfully. 

Regardless of whether this order has been fully declined or is pending, if the payment appears to have been taken from your bank account, it will more than likely be kept in what's called a 'holding account'. This is an account in between us and the bank and usually takes 5-10 working days to receive this back however, your bank is responsible for this account and I would advise to speak to them regarding accurate timescales as to when this payment will be returned to you.

If you can send me a Private Message bbotje with the order number, I can check to see if the order has been declined or is in a pending state. 

- Rebeka 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I sent Rebecca a pm as she requested.

My complaint is mainly about the fact that PN doesn't want me as a customer for ONE MONTH GBP 5.-/m SIM for which I paid the first (and therefore for the whole contract period) up front.

PN accepted my girlfriend (same household for about 15 years) for exactly same SIM order.

And we signed up for 12 months bb from PN only last week.

I have no credit issues whatsoever. (but my SIM order was declined again by PN using our joint account)

Still curious why you declined my order. Is PN really sure about what's going on? A glitch somewhere?

PS My complaint is not about not getting my upfront payments back.

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'll be unable to see the reason as to why this may have been declined however, I'll be able to confirm whether the order has been declined or is in pending. 

- Rebeka

Anonymous
Not applicable

I give up. This is not going forward. However, I would like thank Rebecca for time, effort and prompt replies.

PN keep telling me they're not able to explain why PN declined my attempts to order a SIM. I however don't need that explanation. All I want is the SIM but I have apparently not been able to make that clear. I invited them to call me so they could input the order manually into their system but PN is not bothered.

I cannot get my head around that PN declines my SIM-only order (GBP 5.-/m; one month contract; me paying GBP 5.- up front, so basically zero risk for PN) and an order from a household already taking PN landline, PN broadband and another (my girlfriend's) PN SIM services.

By the way. I just checked my credit score. It's 966  out of 999 which is in the highest band called "excellent". see photo:experiancreditscore.JPG 

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I have replied to this via Private Message bbotje.

If you would like to me send this off for some clarification, be sure to let me know and I'll get that processed. 

Our Sales Team are inbound and we do ask customers to call them on either 500 free from their Plusnet SIM, or 0800 079 1133. From time to time, we can arrange for an outbound Sales Call however, this is based entirely on the volume of inbound calls at that time. 

If you were to give us a call or sign up online, the order system is identical therefore, we cannot guarantee that the order would be successful second time round. As the system is automatic, neither ordering online or calling the Sales Team, will allow this order to process any other way than using the generic system that we have in place. 

- Rebeka 

Anonymous
Not applicable

from PN mobile t's & c's:

-----start quote-----

Credit and Fraud Checks
  • Plan availability subject to credit and fraud checks, unless you are an existing Plusnet broadband customer where a credit check will not be required.

-----end quote-----

Signed up 10 days ago for a 12 moth line and bb contract.  Paid a full year of line rental up front. So a credit check should not be required. Note: I don't have a problem with a credit check. My score is excellent (checked today).. Just saying according PN credit check not required....

OK, I know, I said I'd give up. Frustrating though.

rogerh

I have had a similar problem where I was working with members of my family to order good sim-only deals for us all - these expire at midnight tonight. My son's application went through fine first attempt. I had two credit check refusals on our joint account when I applied but I was then successful using a different bank account and card in my name only. We have so far been unsuccessful in repeating the process for my wife - 3 credit check refusals, one on our joint account, one on my account and one on my son's account.  Both the latter accounts were accepted in applications only a matter of an hour or tw previously. I have spoken to customer services who suggested contacting Experian - I have signed up to Experian to be told my credit score is 999. I am both angry and baffled as to what is going on.

Anonymous
Not applicable

In our case (our household) there were only two people applying. Only thing in common is our address (i.e. different names, payment details etc).

PN doesn't explain why they declined my application.

PN is obviously happy with their current vetting system (including turning away customers with excellent credit scores)

I've gone elsewhere since PN does not see this as an issue and will therefore not resolve. (Didn't even want to call me to allow me to order over the phone)

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi bbotje,

I'm sorry you were unable to sign up to a SIM only deal. As advised previously, If you would like to me send this off for some clarification as to why it was declined, be sure to let me know and I'll get that processed. 

Our Sales Team are inbound and we do ask customers to call them on either 500 free from their Plusnet SIM, or 0800 079 1133. From time to time, we can arrange for an outbound Sales Call however, this is based entirely on the volume of inbound calls at that time. 

- Rebeka 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reaction RebekaPreston. I do appreciate your prompt replies. Honestly!

But I've left this debacle a week ago and have signed up with another provider (and so has my girlfriend who was actually accepted without ado by PN. Her PN-sim cancellation is solely based on my bad experience while signing up with PN)

The fact that you ask me whether I'd like the reason for decline investigated tells me that PN themselves is not going the initiator of such investigation and there can only be one reason: PN is not that interested. PN is happy with how they decide who can and who cannot be a PN customer. I accept that.

Moving on ...

Thanks for your time (no sarcasm 

RebekaPreston
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi bbotje,

I'm sorry to hear that you were unable to sign up to a SIM only deal with us.

I can assure you that the Team here at Plusnet mobile are very much interested in helping customers queries. I did advise that I'd be unable to see the reason as to why this was declined and to obtain that information, I would need to send this off to our Operations Team; which I was happy to do so. 

I understand that you did not want me to process this any further so unfortunately, this is why I couldn't provide you with an answer to the reason behind the decline.

We're sorry to see you go bbotje, we certainly don't want the sign up process to have a negative impact on our customers. Rest assured, this will be passed on to the relevant deaprtment, as we do take on board all feedback that is put forward to us.

- Rebeka