Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting TO mobile sim

C1Rider
Grafter

Connecting TO mobile sim

Hello,

Just received my Plusnet Mobile SIM and I have it set up and working in my router and connected to my Laptop.  It works fine with connections from my Laptop to " everywhere".

What doesn't work for me is connections TO my Laptop. I would like to connect to, for example, port 80; is this possible or are connections TO my Plusnet Mobile SIM not allowed ?

I have forwarding ports set in my router.

Regards,

3 REPLIES 3
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: Connecting TO mobile sim

Almost all mobile providers use CGNAT ( Carrier grade Nat ) to provide data services. Using this it is not possible to make an incoming connection to your router.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

C1Rider
Grafter

Hello,

After two days of trying, I have managed to connect  " inbound" to my laptop.

But for how long ?

Regards..

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Almost all mobile providers use CGNAT ( Carrier grade Nat ). Using this it is not possible to make an incoming connection to your router.

Not entirely true. An L2TP connection to an external service (several are available) will provide static IPv4 and IPv6 addresses that can be used for incoming connections without any of the CGNAT restrictions. I use Andrews & Arnold's L2TP service, which is charged for but has all the features you'd expect from a premium ISP. Not all routers support VPNs, but the good ones do.

BTW Three don't use CGNAT for their mobile data.