Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about transferring number

IngeJones
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Confused about transferring number

My husband has just ordered a Plusnet mobile account, transferring from EE and keeping his same number via the PAC code method.   The "read this first" post says the sim might take up to 3 days to arrive, but the number transfer aims to be done after only one day.  Doesn't this mean that he won't be able to use his existing EE sim for up to two days before the PlusNet sim arrives?

9 REPLIES 9
newagetraveller
Pro

Re: Confused about transferring number

Not 100% sure what you mean.🤔

However, don't do anything with EE. Wait until the PN s.i.m. arrives and activated. I'm not familiar with PN's procedure with a new s.i.m./account.

Once PN Mobile is up and running, give PN the PAC that EE have provided. The number port to PN should then complete, usually by the end of the next working day. Or a date chosen when submitting the PAC. The EE account will be closed, husband should have nothing to do, only give PN the PAC.

EE should provide a final bill if any money is owing to them because of the account closing.

Hopefully this is the information you re asking?

IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

He obtained the PAC and gave it to PN at the time of ordering.  He wasn't given a choice of date to complete the transfer.  We are worried that means the transfer of number will occur before he has received the sim in the post and he will stop being able to make or receive calls with the original EE sim still in the phone.

Do the support staff still monitor this forum or are we meant to use phone support now?

IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

@IngeJones 

I transferred from EE to Plusnet Mobile back in May of this year, and also transferred my number via PAC. IIRC correctly, this is how it worked, but don't quote me - my memory isn't great:  🙁

Firstly I got the PAC code from EE, and after that I had no further contact with them.

Then I signed up with Plusnet and gave them the PAC code. They sent me a new SIM which arrived a few days later - the day before the scheduled changeover day. This new SIM has a different phone number associated with it.

First thing in the morning of the changeover day, I put the new PN SIM card in my phone. I can't remember if I got any further notification to do this other than the original "Welcome" email from PN? The new PN SIM became active quite early that day ISTR, but has a different phone number still, (see previous point). So, I could make calls and texts etc, but not receive calls to my original number. Calls to the "new" number did get through.

I think it was early the next day that my original number transferred over to the Plusnet SIM and I was then able to receive calls as well via my original number again. I have noticed though that if I go deep into the settings on my phone it still shows the original number allocated to the SIM card, but that doesn't cause a problem.

A few weeks later I received a refund in my bank account of the credit balance from EE - as I said at the beginning, no further contact with them after getting the PAC code.

In the past couple of years I have transferred mobile from BT Mobile to EE, and then to Plusnet. I'm fairly sure it followed the same method both times.

IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for sharing your experience.  I wonder what would have happened if your new SIM had got lost in the post or otherwise delayed - would the changeover have happened when it did anyway, or does the system always wait until you have installed your new sim and activated it?  This is what I was trying to get from my question.  Seems the support staff are a lot less active in the forums than they used to be. Sad

newagetraveller
Pro

Just my opinion, but I think he gave PN the PAC too soon.

I have always waited until the new s.i.m. is received and activated before submitting the PAC to the new provider. Never experienced any problems doing it that way.

As I wrote, and being unfamiliar with PN's procedure, I have always been offered a future date for the number to port.

Hopefully it all goes smoothly though.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hey @IngeJones,

Sorry for the delayed response this week, has the SIM card arrived now? If not, I'd be happy to check in on the orders, just send me a Private Message with further info and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

As a slight aside, since it's been asked in the thread, responses here on the forums may not be as fast as they have been previously however those of us still working on the forums will try to pick up any urgent queries as soon as possible. We've recently had some new additions to the team and we're going to introduce some new people to the forums in the near future. Hopefully things will return to normal soon Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

Yes it's just arrived, thank you.  So just to clarify, the number transfer would take place on Monday (the day we've been told it would) regardless whether the new sim had been activated inside the phone or not?

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Should do Smiley Just let us know if there are any problems with it going through and I'll be happy to pick this back up on Tuesday.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team