Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chinese language robocalls scammer calls to PN mobile

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: Chinese language robocalls scammer calls to PN mobile

Seems this has been a global problem for a little while https://www.cbsnews.com/news/whats-behind-all-those-chinese-speaking-robocalls/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Matty_b
Dabbler

@MisterW,

My OP referenced, that I was aware of it in US/CA/AUZ/NZ.

It's still a P.I.T.A. though ... And finding a new number, might be the only answer (whether it be with the help of PN, or via churning to another carrier)
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Oops, must go to specsaversEmbarrassed

And finding a new number, might be the only answer

I'm not sure that's going to help, until we understand how they are choosing the numbers to call.

I've spoken to two colleagues today with PN mobiles, neither of whom have had any of these calls.

You would have thought, though, that having got no response from a particular number after n calls, they would give up on that number and move on...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @Matty_b First of all welcome to our community forums and thanks for posting.

My final reach out to PN, is I've just PM'ed PN mobile via their social media team, on Facebook, and have provided brief explanation, and a link to this thread... Let's see what happens... (more calls received & diverted to voicemail today)

Thanks for the nudge via Facebook.

I've discussed this with one of my colleagues in our mobile operations team. Unfortunately there's not much we can do as the callers are using an auto-dialler, which means that no two calls are the same.

As you know, it appears to be an issue affecting more than just those with us.

While we're happy to change your number, due to the way the callers are working there's no guarantee that this will even stop the calls, as they'd essentially be dialling randomly. 

Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

[edit]

Just been advised that we'd only change a mobile phone number if a Crime Reference Number is provided.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Howard_BB
Dabbler

Gandalf - Re. "As you know, it appears to be an issue affecting more than just those with us." We have friends and family on all the other UK networks and non has been affected. Only two of us are on Plusnet mobile and we have both been affected!

Re. "Unfortunately there's not much we can do as the callers are using an auto-dialler, which means that no two calls are the same." The calls themselves appear from random UK mobile numbers, but they will probably all be emanating from the same source, as the answerphone message is the same, even though most of do not understand what they are saying. Plusnet (EE) need to track that number down and block it.

At £25 for a number change without having a crime reference number and "no guarantee that this will even stop the calls" those affected will simply opt for a different network with a low price monthly tariff.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

"As you know, it appears to be an issue affecting more than just those with us." We have friends and family on all the other UK networks and non has been affected. Only two of us are on Plusnet mobile and we have both been affected!

This doesn't necessarily mean that the problem is solely with us, as evidence to the contrary suggests otherwise.

Re. "Unfortunately there's not much we can do as the callers are using an auto-dialler, which means that no two calls are the same." The calls themselves appear from random UK mobile numbers, but they will probably all be emanating from the same source, as the answerphone message is the same, even though most of do not understand what they are saying. Plusnet (EE) need to track that number down and block it.

If the callers numbers change each time they call it'll be difficult for us to block them.

In addition, we'd run the risk of accidentally blocking a legitimate number.

At £25 for a number change without having a crime reference number and "no guarantee that this will even stop the calls"those affected will simply opt for a different network with a low price monthly tariff.

Yeah I appreciate that but there's not much we can do to stop people from leaving because of this.

On an unrelated note if you're wanting a cheaper deal I'd give us a quick call by dialling 500 from your Plusnet mobile phone, or 0800 079 1133 from any phone and we'll be happy to see what we can do(Assuming you're not in contract).

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Matty_b
Dabbler

Update,

Nothing spam call wise for about 24Hrs now... Just hoping this keeps up Smiley ...

Maybe someone, somewhere has caught up with them, and they are getting their just deserts Smiley

@Gandalf, thanks for the 'retentions bargaining' at end of contract info... Wasn't really the original intent/desire of my OP.. handy to know, but, I'm happy enough generally, not barring the last week and half or so of spam idiocy...

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Nothing spam call wise for about 24Hrs now... Just hoping this keeps up Smiley ... 

Maybe someone, somewhere has caught up with them, and they are getting their just deserts Smiley

Glad to hear that! Fingers crossed they don't come back.

I personally know how it feels to receive nuisance calls, as I used to regularly get around 3 to 4 a day until I think they finally gave up on me as I always have my phone set to send calls automatically to voicemail while I'm at work.

@Gandalf, thanks for the 'retentions bargaining' at end of contract info... Wasn't really the original intent/desire of my OP.. handy to know, but, I'm happy enough generally, not barring the last week and half or so of spam idiocy... 

No problems. Yeah I appreciate that, thought it'd be worth mentioning in case there is anything our sales guys can do for you. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Howard_BB
Dabbler

Matty_b Re. "Nothing spam call wise for about 24Hrs now" The same here. Last blocked call 13th August 11:09

Howard_BB
Dabbler

Re. "Maybe someone, somewhere has caught up with them, and they are getting their just deserts" Just when I thought it might be OK to switch off my call blocker, here we go again. Same Chinese message on Voicemail at 12:17 today from yet another fake UK mobile phone number!!

Matty_b
Dabbler

They are back again... Thought it was gone..

Calls being diverted to voicemail again, by my call settings...

... Last call from another spoofed random UK mobile at ~11:05 today
Matty_b
Dabbler

Once I ring 500 (never have had to call, as never had a problem with PN).... What's the IVR (press 1 for X, 2 for y etc) options for disconnections...

My billing cycle is around Monday/Tuesday next week, and it's less messy to align with that...

Then it leaves a 30 day ticking clock for PN to resolve this issue
Matty_b
Dabbler

It's option 3...

1 is queries/Customer service
2 is 'thinking of joining'
3 is 'thinking of leaving'
Howard_BB
Dabbler

Matty_b Re. ".... leaves a 30 day ticking clock for PN to resolve this issue" I have already made preliminary enquiries, one with another EE virtual network and one with a newish provider that owns a major network, has the same name as small, round, children's sweets and gives you cashback for unused data every month. Today I had to temporarily stop the call blocking software so that customer services from the other networks could phone me back! This is an unacceptable thing to have to do. Yet the Chinese robocallers still phone, even though the calls go straight to answerphone.

Matty_b
Dabbler

@Howard_BB

The coloured sugar shell sweets, with a chocolate centre, that rhyme with "parties" ... ?

Thanks for the tip-off, for the 'what next' decision...

Looking on the website, It appears they piggyback Three, and not EE, but, everything but V/Fone are serviceable where I often am / go...