Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chinese language robocalls scammer calls to PN mobile

IngeJones
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Chinese language robocalls scammer calls to PN mobile

That would back up my theory that plusnet took over a block of numbers that had found its way onto a list.  If Plusnet had sold the list deliberately all their customers would have been on the list not just the relatively recent.

Miriam
Grafter

Well it could be.  The jury is still out with me.

it is illegal to do this in the UK but the Chinese don’t have such rules.

nonplusme
Grafter
Fixes: 1

"Why would a chinese spam company pay Plusnet for sending calls"

In the UK the calling party pays for the call. All UK Telcos charge to connect calls to their customers. Telcos know what calls they are connecting and where they come from.

globaldiplomacy

Hi all, 

I joined PN community for this, I've also been getting these calls but assumed they were genuine, as no one I knew got them (no one else I know is on PN) and I have various Chinese friends and speak some Mandarin, as well as getting a scholarship to go to China a few years ago, although I turned it down. For those who care it just tells you you have documents to pick up at the embassy and then to press 9 or 1 depending on which recording you get. 

I contacted the embassy directly and then googled it, finding out that it has been a dormant scam which has resurfaced. This resurfacing seems to link to the theory that PN bought a bundle of old numbers that were linked to the scam. I phoned PN who suggested the same things as they have to other users and so I am now switching to another provider for a new number, which also happens to be a little cheaper so no harm done. 

IngeJones
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Might have been a nice gesture if Plusnet had offered to change out the number for any customer who got one in this batch.  Though I don't think I'd choose to go through the hassle of getting a new number for the odd occasion I get bothered by a chinese call.  Doesn't take a second to hang up.

ChrisAtBristol
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

I’ve had these calls too as I reported in this thread way back down the pages but now having had these calls for what seems like years I’ve noticed a pattern?

I get the calls every day for a week, sometimes two weeks, then they go quiet and I don’t get any for about 6 months then the pattern seems to repeat for a week or two then silence for months.

Just to note as everyone is sure it’s only PN that suffers these calls I can say that’s not true because on my latest batch of Chinese calls that stopped last month my grandson was with me at the time and after hanging up on the call I said to my grandson “it’s the local Chinese chip shop wanting to know if I want Lemon Chicken or sweat and sour this week” and with that he said “there annoying aren't they, I’ve been getting them too.

My grandson is on a top of the range Vodafone contract so go figure.

JP5

I had these calls a couple of years ago and left PN because of them. Since coming back earlier this year with a totally different number they are still bothering me. I spoke to PN Customer Services who didn't think they were still a problem. i beg to differ on that one. They were unable to investigate further to ascertain who was originating them, which is possible if the PN technical people were to examine the information in the call set-up data string. Cheap service but poor customer support  so it may have to be another operator for me again.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I don't think there is much PlusNet can do to be fair, yes you can try and block CLID but it is a massive waste of time as that was cracked a long time ago.

Changing provider and what you try and do to stop it, is a very much balancing act. If you get a call at say 3am:

1. It could be a scam call, so you want it blocked.
  2. It might not, be an emergency call, so you don't.

They'll still try and call your landline. The only solution I can think of is to put 'trusted' numbers (so anything else is blocked) as whitelisted during the day and blacklisted when you're asleep.

EDIT: Realised it was the mobile forums I was posting to, not landline. Though I think what I said still applies.

opelchan

I popped the SIM into my phone Friday night (4 days ago), there was a voice mail, which was a Chinese Spam call!!!!

Then I received my 2nd Chinese Spam call today.

First 4 days, 2 spam calls .  Shocking.

I may have to change out of PN mobile for this.