Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chinese language robocalls scammer calls to PN mobile

ChrisAtBristol
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Chinese language robocalls scammer calls to PN mobile

Since reporting 2 weeks ago my calls have stopped so hopefully corona got the better of them.😁

Miriam
Grafter

Well don't hold your breath, because no matter what I've done this past 2 years, they stop then come back with a vengeance. I wish more could be done about this. Blocking doesn't help as they use different numbers.

A  big nuisance to get, I never answer but they leave voicemail.  Now, I have a very ill family member who doesn't live with me, but who until now because of lockdown, I can't go to see.  He is very ill with carers and special equipment, there is no way to tell that when my landline or mobile rings it will not be about him.

Angry doesn't begin to express my feelings.

bouda1

just cancelled my contract after 2 years of this i suggest others do the same plenty of other options out there. 

IngeJones
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I don't think I'd suggest that at a time like this.  If something goes wrong with the changeover, good luck getting support, or new equipment, or having your installation checked 😕

newagetraveller
Pro

What, for a mobile phone? That's the title of this particular section.

IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

Spose... but I always expect the worst Cheesy

Peter19

My wife and I are both with PN. She gets these calls, but I have never had one. Most annoying. Last call was about an hour ago. 1630, 31/3/20.
Peter19

Fair enough, but these Oriental gentlemen are stealing UK 07 numbers.
nonplusme
Grafter
Fixes: 1

"If this is happening to you make sure you do the following: "

Completely pointless. The caller IDs are spoofed and different for every call. You would just be claiming random numbers are spam some of which are other people's real mobile numbers.

nonplusme
Grafter
Fixes: 1

3 spam calls today. Fake London number, fake international number, fake mobile number.

I suggest sufferers complain to OFCOM.  OFCOM demand telcos provide caller ID and provide it for free so users can block nuisance calls. They demand telcos prevent caller ID spoofing with some lame get out clause about technically feasible.

It seems to be feasible for other telcos who don't connect an endless stream of Chinese spam calls with fake caller ID.

Plusnet is routing these calls through their network. They get paid for routing these calls through their network they know where they are coming from and nearly 2 years later it still continues.

IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

It still doesn't make sense to me.  Why would a chinese spam company pay Plusnet for sending calls to what must be about 95%+ non-chinese speaking numbers?  Surely they'd expect to get at least some targeted data for their money.

Miriam
Grafter

Who says Plusnet paid them.   You're right it makes no sense.  I often wonder if I should get on to British Telecom who own Plusnet.

All that I know and have known for the past 3 years since I started getting these, is that none of my friends of which there are many, also ex colleagues, all who have mobile phones, none of whom are with Plusnet - never gets these calls.

Go figure!

IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

No one. The suggestion by the previous poster was that plusnet were being paid, not the way round you put it.  Yes it's weird but more likely to be caused by Plusnet inheriting a batch of numbers that had previously been used by a chinese company who *did* sell the number list to chinese advertisers at the time, rather than by plusnet themselves, who wouldn't really have anything to offer a chinese advertiser.

Miriam
Grafter

I did some research a couple of years ago on these calls.    They started in the USA and AUSTRALIA, where Chinese people in those countries were scammed, by being told they had been either left a lot of money or they had to call a certain number (part of the scam) to see how much they had won!

It was all just scamming of course, and most at the receiving end were actually Chinese immigrants.   Eventually they were warned not to believe these calls, and from memory they eventually stopped.

I have no idea if Chinese folk here are getting them, and I am assuming like me, no-one who has posted in this topic is Chinese.

Peter19

I started my account with Plusnet quite a while ago, and have never had one of these Chinese calls. My wife also took out a contract with Plusnet, but fairly recently. She gets these calls on a regular basis, and they drive her mad. Keep blocking the numbers but they just keep coming. Surely in this day and age Plusnet have got the technology to stop these calls.