Maloney
Dabbler

Re: Chinese language robocalls scammer calls to PN mobile

Translates to
"I said fried rice not flied rice you plick". Or something like that.. 😂
Miriam
Grafter

I have a seriously ill partner and when my phone goes, my heart skips a beat, it is like living on your nerves.   It could not be a worse time for me to still be getting these.

someone, somewhere is responsible for these.

it should be illegal

OllieC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi @Miriam

We're really sorry that you have been receiving these. 

It actually is illegal to cold call in this manner. However, when the calls are coming from abroad UK law cannot be enforced upon them. 

Kind Regards

Miriam
Grafter

Yes thanks, I understand that.    I do believe, however, they should not have the access to uk numbers

RobC
Pro
Fixes: 3

Haven't given negative feedback to a dubious Chinese Ebay seller before the calls started did you?

They get to see your Ebay registered phone number when you buy.

Just a thought as thats when my calls started.

Show us ONE just ONE real, defined benefit for the British public from Brexit

Brexit Promised cake .... But just delivers a stream of Cack
... and expects us all to just swallow it
Brexit - Built from Bovine Manure by Bots
meerkat54

Recently changed my PN mobile number by changing sim as constantly annoyed with calls and voicemails from what sounds like 'Chinese' caller and thought it cheaper than paying £25 for a new number. Couldn't believe it when I answered a call this morning on my new number to another of what I think is a recorded message. Annoyingly these calls are all  from different numbers, some showing as UK but many of them cannot be blocked as they come up as invalid! Have registered with TPS (mobile) but don't actually think this will be of much use.  Is there anything Plus Net can do to stop these unwanted calls and voicemails?? Also what do these callers gain from these calls when you can't understand the language??  Never ever had this problem with a Tesco or BT sim! 

RobC
Pro
Fixes: 3

It is interesting that mine ALSO started after I transferred the number out of Plusnet - but it seems highly unlikely that could be the cause and prior to the latest batch of calls - after perhaps annoying a Chinese ebay seller, , it had been quite a number of years since I had any.

Also interesting that neither my ASDA or ID numbers get them at all,despite being 'recent' numbers from the providers. ASDA a couple of years, ID about 6-9 months.

Neither of those have been on my ebay account.

Also consider why you changed your number .. and someone else will get that number - just as you got theirs.

BUT - my long held number stopped getting them when I left it on immediate auto transfer to voicemail with a carefully selected voicemail 'message' for a solid week after notifying my contacts folk to use one of the other numbers

Loathe to declare what that actual 'message' was despite it not being obscene,

but perhaps try:

'our Lords blessings upon you, This is dial a prayer which is a premium rate number. After the tone, please press one on your keypad to begin your blessings. All profits go to charitable causes'

.. you could even just try that for a while with numbers which aren't in your address book straight to it ..

Just a note:

Only consider this if you have been getting repeated calls over a period - you don't want to get tagged by valid number harvesting calls

Show us ONE just ONE real, defined benefit for the British public from Brexit

Brexit Promised cake .... But just delivers a stream of Cack
... and expects us all to just swallow it
Brexit - Built from Bovine Manure by Bots
nonplusme
Grafter
Fixes: 1

And they are back pretty much daily on both my plusnet numbers for the last week or so.

Extremely annoyed to have a call interrupted by one this afternoon.

ChrisAtBristol
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Yep there back, getting 3 or 4 a week the past month after drying up for over a year.

Just had one while I was catching up on this thread and what I do now is answer and let them babble on but I’ve noticed if at the end of whatever there saying if you say something like” Boo” or order a sweet and sour chicken then whatever there saying gets repeated but good thing is I’ve got all the time in the World so the longer I tie up there system the longer it is until they can move on to someone else.

Camaj
Dabbler

It's a recorded message  so no point picking it up and talking, you're just wasting your own time then. Let it go to voicemail and it'll tie up their system for the same time

bouda1

Im getting 5+ calls a week some weeks

i think i am going to just change provider and my number i never got any calls like this on O2

its borderline harrasment and is disrupting important calls.

Seems like the only explanation is plusnet is incompetent and failing to adress the issue or plusnet knows exactly why this is happening because they sold our numbers to someone and wont speak about it because it would look bad.

either way its unacceptable and im changing providers im sick of these calls.

nonplusme
Grafter

"It's a recorded message  so no point picking it up and talking, you're just wasting your own time then. Let it go to voicemail"

If plusnet didn't connect calls with fake caller id we might be able to identify some as recorded Chinese spam without picking up.

Just had simultaneous calls on two plusnet accounts. 

Trying to kill us with coronavirus and scam us at the same time seems counter productive.

Camaj
Dabbler

If this is happening to you make sure you do the following: 

Turn on filer spam calls (in Android 6+ it's Phone>Settings>Caller ID and Spam> turn both options on)

Don't pick up unknown numbers, let them go to voicemail

As soon as you get a voicemail notification listen, press 2 to delete

If it's a spam call go to the call log and press the report spam button under the phone number the spammer used.

I don't know how many reports it takes to get a number registered as a spam call and it won't stop it totally but if we make it more of a hassle than it's worth they might give up.

Maloney
Dabbler

Well all four plusnet sims on my account did have a brief respite when these calls gradually died off, not completely ,but at tolerable levels.
This last few weeks it's built up to where we are being bothered more than ever before on one sim or the another, often with up to all four phones ringing simultaneously . With this lockdown and the family altogether,I now realise how much annoyance they cause .
The only advice on this thread that will actually work is to move to another network. Plusnet isn't really worth all the hassle, and believe me when I say we've all blocked numbers and reported as spam . Does not make even a slight difference.