cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chinese language robocalls scammer calls to PN mobile

DollyChen2019

Re: Chinese language robocalls scammer calls to PN mobile

I have been receiving these calls 3 times a day for a few weeks now. I used to be with PlusNet until very recently I have changed my provider to Tesco so I m unsure which provider leaked my number!

DollyChen2019

I am Chinese so can understand what the auto call is saying, I normally don't answer from numbers I don't have, so it always went to my voice mail. It is normally saying to check your parcel delivery please press 9. I m so tempted to answer the phone and tell them to stop calling me. There was a few that was saying there is a letter from the Chinese embassy, the recording quality is so bad its very difficult to know what they are saying even for me. 

teknobod

Having had the same mobile number for over 20 years, I have only started receiving these Chinese robocalls since moving to PlusNet mobile (coincidence - I don't think so as I was previously with EE, ie the same mobile network!). Equally the other 3 SIMs I have with PlusNet also receive these calls on a regular basis.

I don't know whether PlusNet have suffered a security breach exposing mobile numbers, but it would appear that my number of 20+ years is now likely to be plagued by these calls irrespective of which provider I now move to unless I relinquish my number.

The calls all seem to originate from London (0207).

nonplusme
Grafter
Fixes: 1

@teknobod wrote:

I have only started receiving these Chinese robocalls since moving to PlusNet mobile (coincidence - I don't think so

I suspect more to to with plusnet not blocking these calls with spoofed caller ID.

Getting to be a daily occurrence again. 3 calls between 2 accounts this morning. Time to complain to ofcom again I think.

Camaj
Dabbler

I'm also having the same issue having started using PN in the last month or so. I never give my PN number out and it's only my PN number that's getting these calls.

My phone has a block and report as spam feature, does anyone know if PN do anything with that information? If enough people report it as spam then maybe they can block these numbers globally and make it uneconomical for these people

Miriam
Grafter

Unfortunately, after a long gap, I too have started receiving these annoying calls on my mobile - previously it was on my landline, now it's the mobile.  Several all using 020, these folk are smart as its a different number all the time, and previously it was a mobile number they used always starting 07.  Fed up here, can't have this again.

Harry4

I like many others keeps receiving these chinese calls. I get them every day and each time from a different number, some days I get three or four calls from them.

My wife is on EE and has never received any call of this type, I can only conclude it is a PN problem.

My contract expires in a couple of months and I shall move to a new provider with a different number. It is a shame because I like PN, but if they just ignore this problem then EE here I come.

Badger-13

My mother is in her 90's & gets these calls nearly every day & its causing her great distress. Plusnet this must stop. She has a basic phone so no call block feature but as others say, every time it's a different 020 number anyway. She has never bought anything on Ebay & her phone came from Carphone warehouse. The mobile is her life line/call alarm so is absolutely needed but she is so upset she doesn't want it anymore. I have complained but the agent said there is nothing he can do. Well there must be something that can be done as I don't get these calls with EE.
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Harry4 and @Badger-13,

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience and distress that these calls are causing to yourselves and your families. However, there is no way for us to block these at a network level, I'm afraid, and this would need to be done by blocking the number via the handset. We have more information here, though if the calls are coming from abroad the telephone preference service may not be able to stop these.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Badger-13

The phone is registered on TPS & being an old style phone & very basic, there is no way these calls can be blocked. A newer phone would do this but a) it's a different number each time so not much point and b) doubt that mum would be able to cope with a more modern device now
Jon74
Hooked

After a month of hardly getting any “Chinese” calls I’ve started to get at least one a day over the past week, even one from a China based number. 

My wife was with orange then moved to EE and she’s never had any of these calls.

It’s got to be a Plusnet security issue. Our numbers must have leaked out through Plusnet to these scammers!

Camaj
Dabbler

@Badger-13 wrote:
The phone is registered on TPS & being an old style phone & very basic, there is no way these calls can be blocked. A newer phone would do this but a) it's a different number each time so not much point and b) doubt that mum would be able to cope with a more modern device now

If her phone is an Android or iPhone there are apps you can install that have a whitelist call blocking feature. This means that all calls will be blocked except  the ones that are added to the list. Sadly this is a bit of hassle and you'd have to add every friend and business that has your number and it's not natively supported currently so you have to use a separate app.

Badger-13

Thank you very much for your concern. Unfortunately it's not an Android or IPhone. It's an old clam phone with big numbers for oldies. I do think Plusnet have a security issue though & am considering changing to another provider. Thanks for your help.
IngeJones
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I get them too, though I thought they were Japanese?  Anyway, it's just once a day, and not every day, so it's not destroying my life.  I wouldn't like Plusnet to try and block them as in my experience all attempts at filtering spam emails, nuisance calls, or abusive IP addresses always ends up inadvertently blocking contacts you *did* want along with the ones you didn't - often with far more disruptive consequences than getting the  original spam, and simply hanging up or hitting delete.

Miriam
Grafter

I can fully understand what the Plusnet team member has said.   I have always found the Plusnet staff very helpful and friendly, and I have been with Plusnet since 2010.   

These calls are received on mobile as well as landline, some from 020 number (different number each time) and some from an 07, which would indicate a mobile number.

If memory serves me correctly, and without looking up the company information, Plusnet is owned by BT.

All I can add is that not a single person I know, either with their mobile or landline receives these calls, therefore sorry guys the onus is on Plusnet to get to the source of this!