Did you mean: 

Chinese language robocalls scammer calls to PN mobile

Dumbledore
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 34

Re: Chinese language robocalls scammer calls to PN mobile

Hello @stmary

I am deeply sorry to hear you are receiving these nuisance calls from auto-diallers.

As you mentioned it is not an issue exclusive to Plusnet only customer. Unfortunately, it is difficult for any provider to completely stop this from occurring.

I would advise to not answer any of these calls and block the number immediately after the call drops.

Should you require any further assistance, please do get back in touch with us.

Many thanks.

Miriam
Grafter

Dumbledore, I do not have a plusnet account for my landline - thank gawd:  As has been repeated ad nauseam on this thread, these numbers which all begin (and thus look like a mobile number) with 07, but each time they are different numbers and thus cannot be blocked, and as I have said all too often,  this only happens with my mobile.

The problem is one of Plusnet, how many times do myself and other people on this thread now in it's 7th page have to tell you this is doing Plusnet no good at all, and you could end up having a max exodus.  Plusnet used to have a great reputation, and absolutely excellent and very helpful customer service where you could dial the number and speak to an operative without having to jump through hoops to do so.

I am rapidly losing patience.

stmary
Hooked

What will blocking the number achieve? Each call seems to come from a unique number.

Dumbledore
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hello @Miriam

I understand that due to these scam callers using auto-diallers and various mobile numbers that blocking these numbers would not fully resolve the issue, but at least may minimise the issue you are having.

Unfortunately, your number can be obtained by scam callers in numerous ways. It is impossible for any provider to identify how this would have occurred.

I can only advise, that the issue lies with the number. Switching service to another provider may not resolve the issue you are having. We can change your mobile number, for a fee of £25.00 if you would like to exhaust this option for you. You can get your mobile number changed as free of charge, if you have a crime reference number.

There are various mobile apps you can download that help prevent scam callers and blocks the call in advance.

I do apologise that you are not pleased with our service. You can call our Mobile support team by dialling 500 from your Plusnet Mobile or 0800 079 1133 from any phone.

The options provided on the IVR message, are there to help you get connected to the relevant team, so we can handle your query more effectively.

I hope this information helps.

Best wishes.

Dumbledore
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hello @stmary 

While I do appreciate that blocking the calls may not fully resolve the issue for you. It can help minimise the scam calls you do receive.

There are various mobile apps you can download that help prevent scam callers and blocks the call in advance.

In regards to Ofcom stance with nuisance calls. You can find the information by Clicking Here

Best wishes.

Miriam
Grafter

The information you have given me, I was already aware of.  I won't change my mobile number for very complex reasons I prefer to keep the number I have.

Thanks for taking note of what I say.  This has got to be one of the biggest nightmares from my use of my mobile phone that I've ever experienced, and I have owned a mobile phone with different networks since 1993, so I know what I'm doing.

nonplusme
Grafter
Fixes: 1

@Dumbledore wrote:

I would advise to not answer any of these calls and block the number immediately after the call drops.

The advice here is farcical.

How is one supposed to know a call is one of  'these' without answering it?  Blocking the spoofed random mobile numbers is also utterly pointless.

"Ofcom’s General Conditions require CPs to provide CLI facilities, where technically feasible
and economically viable to do so. They also require CPs to ensure that any CLI Data provided with and/or associated with a call includes a valid, diallable telephone number which uniquely identifies the caller."

"General Condition C6.6 requires Communications Providers (CPs), where technically feasible, to take all reasonable steps to identify calls in relation to which invalid or non- diallable CLI data is provided and prevent those calls from being connected to the called party." From Ofcom cli-guidance.pdf

About time plusnet started complying with Ofcom's conditions.

If you think some poxy app can identify the caller IDs as spoofed why can't plusnet?

I have two plusnet numbers and both have had 3 calls in 3 days from 'the chinese consulate'.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Post released from Spam Filter.

nonplusme
Grafter

I posted criticising the advice given in this thread by plusnet and linking and quoting an Ofcom document on CLI provision.

The post has been censored.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@nonplusme - Was that the same Ofcom statement referred to in this ISPreview article ? -

New Consumer Protection Rules for UK Phone and Broadband ISPs

Ofcom has ... reminded people that they’re enforcing a number of new consumer protection rules from 1st October 2018 ... ... ... which aim to protect consumers against nuisance calls

All phone, broadband and mobile (communication) providers in the United Kingdom are required to follow Ofcom’s General Conditions of Entitlement, which essentially establish a core set of standards for how the industry should work and interact with customers.

Summary of the Key Changes

Help to better protect people against nuisance calls

* Telephone numbers displayed to people receiving calls must be valid and allow a person to call the number back;

* Phone companies must take steps to identify and block calls which carry invalid numbers – a feature of many nuisance calls – so they don’t get through to consumers in the first place

Help ensure that complaints and customer requests are handled appropriately

* All communications providers must ensure that customer concerns are dealt with promptly and effectively;

* Customers must be kept informed about the progress of their complaint and be allowed faster access to dispute resolution services in cases where the matter cannot be resolved by their provider; and

* Ofcom is issuing new guidance to providers on handling customers’ requests to cancel their contract. This should include allowing customers to cancel by phone, email or webchat, and ensuring incentive schemes for customer service agents do not encourage poor behaviour.

Thumbs_Up

nonplusme
Grafter

@Anonymous wrote:

@nonplusme - Was that the same Ofcom statement referred to in this ISPreview article ? -

No. 

"General Condition C6 requires communications providers to provide CLI facilities, unless they can demonstrate that it is not technically feasible or economically viable to do so. Where CLI is provided, it must include a valid, diallable telephone number which uniquely identifies the caller."

is part of what I quoted. Plusnet connecting calls with invalid and mostly fake mobile number CLIs are clearly not complying with Ofcom's conditions.  The document is titled "Guidance on the provision of Calling Line Identification facilities and other related services" you will have to search for it in case linking was why my post was deleted. 

I also mentioned my two plusnet numbers have had 6 calls from the 'Chinese Consulate' in the last 3 days.

br1anst0rm
Grafter

I've been watching this thread with interest although, thankfully, I have not recently been suffering these nuisance calls.

Two things strike me as worth noting.  I was initially encouraged that Plusnet staff members responded to some of the posts.  But depressingly, it soon became clear that the advice offered was neither effective nor accurate:  Plusnet was sorry, but could not or would not take preventative action and could only suggest number-change (as a cost of £25) and/or the use of a mobile filtering app.  The main Plusnet concern seemed to be to duck responsibility.

Since then, the more interesting point is that @nonplusme and @Anonymous have quoted verbatim the formal and obligatory rules set out by Ofcom which are binding on Plusnet...... and no Plusnet staff member has responded to, or acknowledged, those posts.  Plusnet's silence on this speaks volumes!

Jon74
Hooked

I know this thread hasn’t been active for a while but I thought I would post as I have started to get calls from random uk mobile numbers which are Chinese automated messages. Started a few weeks ago and it can happen twice a day normally late morning to early afternoon. 

It doesn’t seem to be affecting other providers, so how are they getting hold of Plusnet customers mobiles?

ive registered with the TPS but not expecting them to stop the calls.

matt01
Hooked

I hadn't had them for a while but I received one the other day and two today.

I think I might have said this before but I receive them on a number that used to be on the plusnet network but has been ported off, because of this it says to me that its the number with the issue and not the network.

However, I used to have this number in a dual sim phone and the SIM was used for just data and not phone calls but I never had an issue with these calls arriving (I could still receive calls on the SIM). If I did start receiving them I would of blocked all calls to the SIM. Also, this was a full (calls, txt, data) SIM as they are, or used to be, cheaper than a data only SIM.

One day I called up to port the number off and had to explain, step by step, what tasks, in what order, needed to be done to get the number out of the network. (I should still have a recording of this call).

Anyway, it wasn't until a few months after that I started receiving the calls and I hadn't started giving the number out to anybody, or thing, at the time (its one number of multiple numbers).

Due to all of this I have this nagging feeling, although cant prove it, that the number was 'leaked' to the group that spams these calls by some plusnet employee that I probably annoyed during the call requesting for a port out.

Either that or its a coincidence that, after years of having this number for a data only SIM and not receiving any calls they just magically started a few months after it was ported out.

Also, I haven't seen any other talk about these calls to UK numbers on any other networks and all of the other numbers I have which have been sourced from other networks (07 numbers) none of them ever receive any unsolicited calls.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

• I hadn't had any of these calls for a few months and then got one yesterday. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

nonplusme
Grafter

@MisterW wrote:
  • I hadn't had any of these calls for a few months and then got one yesterday. 

Me as well. Nothing for probably 3 months then today one I answered and listened to some Mandarin (I guess) with a recognisable DHL in there. I had the odd one with DHL mentioned in the past.

Probably two more I didn't answer and didn't go to voice mail on the same number and one unanswered on my other Plusnet number.

I will be annoyed (again) if this continues.