cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chinese language robocalls scammer calls to PN mobile

Simon
Grafter

Re: Chinese language robocalls scammer calls to PN mobile

... not only Pnet.. a friend On Tesco mobile (i.e. O2) has had a couple...

Miriam
Grafter

I have been all over the net to get info about these most annoying voicemails always from an 07 number.   It has been driving me crazy not only that they are always in Manderin, so I have no idea what the woman is saying.   I found the plus net  community, and low and behold it’s happening to a lot, and I am so pleased it’s not just  me.  Now the thing is, I am the only person among friends and relatives who gets these,  I am also the only one on Plusnet.  I have been receiving these voicemails 3 times a week roughly since July. I am so angry because they can’t even be blocked since they use a different 07 number each time.

nonplusme
Grafter
Fixes: 1

@MisterW wrot.

I don't believe that there is anything they can do to stop these robocalls to the affected numbers.

Of course they can. They control or pay someone who controls the network that delivers them and charges the originating source for the delivery service. It is ridiculous to suggest they can not identify the source of calls they connect to their customers.

It may be difficult to separate these spam calls from other calls from the same source in which case they need to push the source to do the separation and blocking.

Ofcom has mandated Telcos provide caller ID at no cost since October. They are also pushing the industry to prevent caller ID spoofing. All Plusnet have done here is shrug and say put up with your weekly 3-4 Chinese spam calls.

I suggest people complain to Ofcom because Plusnet isn't listening.

br1anstorm
Rising Star

@nonplusme wrote:

@MisterW wrot.

I don't believe that there is anything they can do to stop these robocalls to the affected numbers.

Of course they can.  ......

Ofcom has mandated Telcos provide caller ID at no cost since October. They are also pushing the industry to prevent caller ID spoofing. All Plusnet have done here is shrug and say put up with your weekly 3-4 Chinese spam calls.

I suggest people complain to Ofcom because Plusnet isn't listening.

This thread now has over 60 posts.  There is undoubtedly a problem.  Time for a Plusnet staff member to post into this thread with some sort of response to the points that have been made.

Miriam
Grafter

My goodness why the need for 3 threads on this subject, now I don’t know where to post😡

YoungGazz

Re: Spam calls on NEW Plusnet mobile number not even used yet - nothing new here ... it seems!

Yep I get these calls and Chinese voicemail almost daily at times. My plusnet number is strictly for friends and family only. I have a 02 payg SIM for other people or companies I expect could be spam happy, but ironically this number has never had a single instance, but oh boy do they like my Plusnet number.
Tags (2)
matt01
Hooked

Hi, 

So I'm getting these as well, as people have stated, I have a bunch of (07) numbers and only the number ported from plusnet is getting these calls.

At the moment I wait for the recorded message to stop, pressing '9' which gets you dumped into a conference room some real person and just sit there in silence. Normally what happens is they hang up and call back, if you answer again and sit in silence, sometimes, they start getting stressy. You can also shout abuse at them if you are having a bad day, but they normally just hang up and you can called again by the auto dialer.

What I want to do is find a Chinese version of 'lenny' and dump the call to this when they call back, as you don't get the recorded message nonsense.

What really needs to happen though is plusnet need to figure out what trunk these calls are coming down, contact the company on the other end and get them to do the same, there will be networks that can figure out where these calls originate from, Ofcom might need to get involved. I might see if networks like AQL are passing any of the calls that i'm receiving.

Another thing you could do is get something to generate a loud 'ear piercing' tone and blast that down the line every time they call. What I normally do is drag the call on, wind them up and feed them false information but I cant speak Chinese 😕

Oh and the CLI (Caller Line Identifier) will be spoofed, its easy enough to do, I can make a call from any number I choose, in fact every time I make a call the number is 'spoofed' as the network I dial out of is different to the network that receives the calls for that number. Its not normally a problem, until you get some annoying spammers abusing it.

Miriam
Grafter

Yes, but if it is one of these robot calls - then there is no human at the other end to annoy.  I've not had one now in well over a week, so I'm beginning to think something has happened.

Plusnet is owned by BT is it not?

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

Two topics on same subject merged to keep relevant information in one place.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
matt01
Hooked

If you press '9' when the recorded talking stops you get put through to a real person. I'm still getting them, had one yesterday.

stmary
Hooked

After getting one call a day since August not received one for 5 days now, what has happened. Got one of these from a French (+33) CLI a week ago - perhaps the spoofing broke.

I just let unknown calls go to voice mail. Rarely get useful unknown call. My Voice mail message invites a text or email which deals with people not in my contacts but who I want to talk to.

sue55

I have been getting these calls since I joined Plusnet, my partner is the only person to have the number so I know it is a Plusnet problem, we phoned Plusnet who said lots of people having problem and that it would cost £25 to change my number! No help offered!

YoungGazz

Wow £25 for a number change, I was going to ask for one (reluctantly as I managed to get a number with personal meaning) but I think may consider cancelling my account.
nonplusme
Grafter
Fixes: 1

@stmary wrote:

After getting one call a day since August not received one for 5 days now, what has happened. Got one of these from a French (+33) CLI a week ago - perhaps the spoofing broke.

I also had a quiet spell with nothing since the 2nd till I got one yesterday the 10th and nothing since the 28th on the other number.  Hope it carries on.

Miriam
Grafter

Well something is certainly different.  Incidentally, to anyone who says they or a friends has 'had a couple' of these - think yourselves lucky, because most of us have not just had a couple, once or even twice a day since July, I have been getting them without a break.

Touch wood, I've not had a quiet spell like this since 2 weeks ago, no calls and no voicemails.  I don't know what is or has been done, or by whom, just so long as it's over.