Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chinese language robocalls scammer calls to PN mobile

ChrisAtBristol
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Chinese language robocalls scammer calls to PN mobile

I’ve had about 10 of these calls the past month and I just say to them, if there is anyone listening that is, “thank you very much for getting back to me so fast and I would now like to order one sweet and sour Chicken, one Beef and Mushroom, one portion of Egg Fried Rice and two Spring Roll and look forward to a fast, prompt delivery.

Still haven't got my meal yet but the phone gone quite the past fortnight so hope their giving up.

hilary1234

Hi, I believe they are DEFIANTLY getting our numbers from Plusnet, I have NEVER experienced this with any other provider? I have been with Tesco for 15 years, never had this problem, it is Plusnet, I wonder if somehow when they want you to leave their non profit making deal they put you on to sign up, they then want you gone, so they plaque you with these calls knowing you will leave provider!!!!!!!!!

Colin_Maybe
Pro
Fixes: 8

@hilary1234 Since you decided to start another thread with the same nonsense I'll repeat my post from that one:

I've never had them on any supplier, my number originated with T-Mobile and has been through O2, Giffgaff, Plusnet and now Sky Mobile (moved house and lost O2 signal, hence Sky now) so the OP claiming it's Plusnet's fault is pure nonsense I'm afraid.

As I'm no longer with PN (I'm only here to stop my zero bills being generated) I have no reason to defend PN either.

ChrisAtBristol
Aspiring Pro

I don't think these calls have anything to do with PN either.

I’ve got 3 PN sims and only one is getting the Chinese calls.

That said, my daughter who has got a iD sim started to get calls in Russian.

I did some more searching into this and the scam has been going on all over the World where random numbers are called in the hope of contacting someone who’s abroad but talks the native language of the caller.

The scam is they then tell the receiver of the call, in this case Chinese man or woman whose living on a visa in the EU, USA or any other part of the World except China that there's a problem with their visa and there going to be deported unless they pay a fee to the unknown to them, scammers.

pnPhorum
Grafter

Spam calls on NEW Plusnet mobile number not even used yet - nothing new here ... it seems!

Anyone with the same problem?

Nobody know this number yet and I already had 2 missed calls from somebody I do not know and one pf then Chinese!

Clearly this is at least a recycled number Plusnet - very disappointing.

Tags (1)
br1anstorm
Rising Star

I've just read through all the posts on this thread because over the past few weeks I have been receiving regular calls from a Chinese (female-voice) robocaller.

These go to my voicemail mainly because my Plusnet mobile is a reserve/standby facility which neither I nor my contacts use.  I only signed up for Plusnet mobile as I have been a long time Plusnet broadband customer and thought I'd have PN mobile as a backup.  I have another (main) mobile account with a different provider which works fine and suffers no spam/robocalls.

This raises a couple of questions:

• since my PN mobile number is not used or made publicly accessible anywhere, it is effectively known only to me - and Plusnet.    It seems statistically highly unlikely that my number was found by completely random algorithmic search, even by a robocaller.  This suggests that the only source from which the Chinese robocall "system" could have obtained the number is Plusnet itself.  Has Plusnet been hacked?  None of the official responses so far in this thread seem even to have addressed the possibility;
  • is there a facility on an Android phone (mine is a dual SIM Motorola) to block or blacklist inward calls to the Plusnet voicemail system - or indeed to shut down the voicemail facility totally on a Plusnet mobile account?  Since my PN mobile is only a standby/backup, I have no need of voicemail on it, and no desire to continue checking messages - and being charged to do so - only to hear incomprehensible Chinese gibberish.

If Plusnet cannot take steps to prevent such nuisance calls (and the replies so far suggest they are unable to do so or - if it is technically possible - unwilling), then either I shut down voicemail, or I close my account completely.

nonplusme
Grafter
Fixes: 1

@ChrisAtBristol wrote:

I don't think these calls have anything to do with PN either.

I have 5 mobile numbers. Tesco, O2, 3 and two from plusnet. The plusnet numbers have had at least 50 each of these Chinese spam calls over the last several months and still getting an average of one call a day between them. The other 3 numbers not one. All the numbers are on android phones and have similar apps installed.

I literally got one while typing the last paragraph. No one in this thread has said they get or have heard of anyone getting similar Chinese robo spam calls on any other network.

OF COURSE IT HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH PLUSNET !!!

Plusnet leaked the numbers and/or they continue to connect calls from this spam source while other networks don't.

ChrisAtBristol
Aspiring Pro

Oh OK, its PN.

I never knew that PN had so many costumers dotted all around the World.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/22/17267970/ftc-robot-scam-call-fraud-chinese-embassy-consulate-212-...

On another matter, did you know that there are folk on this planet that believe the World is round where its undeniable its flat as a pan cake. 😀

br1anstorm
Rising Star

I'm not inclined to expend energy on the blame game and debating how global the problem is.  I am more interested in seeing action to deal with it.  I would like to see Plusnet recognising - swiftly - that this is a problem which isn't afflicting other mobile providers to the same extent, and that it needs a more pro-active response than has been evident so far.  

Further research in the forum confirms that other networks (including MVNOs) have arrangements whereby individual mobile customers can simply switch off voicemail by dialling a particular code number.  Yet in this old and now apparently closed thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/Voicemail-quot-OFF-quot/td-p/1403636/page/2 a Plusnet staff member, RebekaPreston said in a post that "this is a service we do not support".  Not good enough.  Why not?  She went on to say that nevertheless it was being referred to "... the relevant department....".  That was a year ago.  No action seems to have resulted.  Not good enough, again.

There appears also to be some confusion over exactly how voicemail is managed.  It is possible (as explained in another forum thread) to log in to the main Plusnet member centre control panel and request that voicemail be disabled.  I have just done that.  But it looks as if this relates only to the voicemail service on your home phone when (like me) you have a broadband-plus-home phone package.  There is no equivalent option on the Plusnet mobile phone account page.  Why not?

Time for Plusnet staff to step up, speak up, do some explaining and some problem-solving, I reckon.

br1anstorm
Rising Star

Re: Spam calls on NEW Plusnet mobile number not even used yet - nothing new here ... it seems!

There does seem to be a systemic problem with Plusnet's mobile numbers if Chinese spammers and robocallers are so easily and so extensively accessing mobile numbers which are not in regular use (like mine) or numbers - as in this case -  which have just been newly set up.

I have just posted in the separate but related thread here a call for Plusnet staff to get a grip, do some explaining, and take action.

ChrisAtBristol
Aspiring Pro

Listen up its quite a simple problem to solve, if you don’t like the way PN works go and get a SIM from someone else, yes its as simple as that.

br1anstorm
Rising Star

Listen up, ChrisatBristol. 

Community forums are for constructive discussion about solving problems in a way which enables the company (Plusnet) to improve its products and services, and which assists customers with specific issues.

Suggesting that people should simply move on to other providers is ducking the question, and is neither helpful nor useful to anybody.

stmary
Hooked

Just an added thought, my number was originally with Life who weretaken over by PN last year so not a real PN number. My spouses number which was ported from Virgin doesn't get them.

I'm still getting one call a day supposedly from a different UK number each time. I let unknown calls go to voicemail. Not all of these do, but those that do,have the same female non English recorded message.

Glad I'm not trying to use a mobile number for business purposes.

Probably more annoying as I can't understand the message.

There could well be a repository of these messages with translations somewhere.. out there

br1anstorm
Rising Star

A further follow-up comment which might help others who are getting a lot of nuisance calls from Chinese robocallers.  If the calls are coming through to PN mobile voicemail, it is apparently possible to deactivate the voicemail facility.

This can't be done by the customer;  but it can be done by Plusnet.  Call 500 and ask PN customer service.  They will get the tech team to shut down your voicemail option.

Of course this isn't a solution for those who need PN voicemail for other purposes, nor for those who are getting the Chinese robocalls coming directly to their handsets.  But it's a small step to reduce the nuisance for some of us....

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Just an added thought, my number was originally with Life who weretaken over by PN last year so not a real PN number. My spouses number which was ported from Virgin doesn't get them.

That fits with my theory. I suspect that most of the numbers allocated by PN ( and previously LIfe ) are 'reallocated' numbers. Some of these would have been 'out in the wild' in the past for whatever reason whereas originally held numbers that have been ported in are probably 'clean'.  Some of us with PN allocated numbers appear to be unlucky.

So I don't think that PN have leaked any number information.

I don't believe that there is anything they can do to stop these robocalls to the affected numbers.

Having said that, maybe PN could be a little more sympathetic to reallocating a number to those who would prefer, but then again, what guarantee is there that any new number will be 'clean'. I suspect that most numbers are now reallocated...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.