cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chinese language robocalls scammer calls to PN mobile

Matty_b
Dabbler

Chinese language robocalls scammer calls to PN mobile

I wonder if Plusnet staff, or community could help on this one...

I'm getting plagued with robo-calls with a pre-recorded message in ?mandarin? Chinese (that I can't understand)

(It's a scam that's been prevelent in USA/Canada/AUS/NZ, where the message content is a parcel/documentation fee scam, based on immigration status fears of the Chinese community. The scammers misreprest themselves as the Chinese consulate/authorities, to play on these fears to execute the scam)

Each call comes from a unique, and unrelated in number range, from a UK 07--- mobile number, as if someone has an auto-dialer and is using then chucking P.A.Y.G. Sims from all the networks.

The message content 'sounds the same' on each message.

In addition, I've set my phone to reject all unknown numbers to voicemail, so it's clogging up my mailbox, and costing me money to pick up the scammer messages.

Apart from giving notice to terminate my 1 month rolling contract, to drop my PN number, anything else I can do?

Also, can someone from PN help with reimbursement of voicemail fees?
188 REPLIES 188
Matty_b
Dabbler

Re: Chinese language robocalls scammer calls to PN mobile

Sorry, I should have added, I've tried to contact Plusnet, via web chat, to ask for help, but, can never get through ... If I have to 'pick up the phone' to resolve, I'll just cancel the line (pity really, as signal/service has been good, and pricing is good too)
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I've also had a few of these in the last week, a real nuisance.

Also, can someone from PN help with reimbursement of voicemail fees?

The only good news is that calls to your voicemail are included in your allowanceSmiley

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

alan659882
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

We've been getting these calls as well, a right PITA.

They seem to come from different numbers each time so you can't block them.

danbie

I've been getting a load of these over the past week or so, and no one other than Plusnet knows my number, which makes you wonder if the scammers are getting hold of the numbers from PN somehow?

Matty_b
Dabbler

@danbie

Strange you say that, as a lot of people on other networks I know socially, and from work, haven't been getting these calls, and also, my work SIM (so number is more in public domain), on another network, isn't either.

I'll check tonight with someone I know, who is on Plusnet Mobile, to see if they are getting these calls...

Having said that, it might just be dumb luck.

What's the number change fee for PN, or will they do it for free?
Matty_b
Dabbler

PN Forum Staff PM'ed with a thread follow request
Howard_BB
Dabbler

I have been getting the calls too, most days, as has a young member of our family who recently joined Plusnet mobile and had no-one in his contacts list! Regarding a number change ... the father was told that there would be a charge of £25 even though his son was a new customer. Because of the child's age and the fact that the calls started within a few days of joining Plusnet he was issued with a new number free of charge. From the comments on this page, there is no guarantee that the robo-calls will cease, even with a number change. I hope that Plusnet gets to grips with this issue soon. I have been with Plusnet Mobile for a year (a Plusnet Broadband customer for 15 years) and have been very pleased with the mobile phone service - good coverage, high speeds and at a realistic price, Many of us will seek another provider if this is not quickly resolved. I have had to block all calls to my mobile unless the number is in my contacts list. This is very restricting and I see it as a stop gap measure, not a permanent solution!

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

None of these Chinese junk calls here.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Matty_b
Dabbler

The PM to a PN helper staff member, requesting a 'follow thread' remains unanswered, (IE the PN helper staff member, is showing activity, since my PM, but, I didn't get an acknowledgement or reply PM)... And live chat always seems 'unavailable'

My final reach out to PN, is I've just PM'ed PN mobile via their social media team, on Facebook, and have provided brief explanation, and a link to this thread... Let's see what happens... (more calls received & diverted to voicemail today)

I'm giving it until lunchtime tomorrow, then I'll call 500... It's cheaper to cut my loses, and get a rolling SIM elsewhere, than pay 2 months worth of line rental for the £25 to change number... Unfortunately, it will be 'churn due to external circumstances' which is a shame, as I'm happy with the service
Howard_BB
Dabbler

Until Matty_b's latest post I thought that the issue had been resolved, perhaps by PlusNet blocking the source of the calls or that maybe the spammer had moved on. I had no calls over the weekend, so it will be interesting to see what today brings. It is not acceptable to have to block all calls except those in my contacts list. I may have to move elsewhere and there are many other low cost SIM deals. I hope not as, like Matty_b, I have been very happy with the service until this recent incident.

MichaelWilliams
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 15

I'm very sorry to hear of these issues. Of course we'll investigate internally, in the meantime I'd advise registering your details with the Telephone Preference Service to log your desire to not receive unsolicited marketing calls.

https://www.tpsonline.org.uk

Howard_BB
Dabbler

Michael - Thank you for the reply. We have TPS registration on our other mobile phones and our landline  and I have now registered my Plusnet mobile number too. Thank you for the reminder to do that with this number. From our experience TPS is only effective with genuine companies and the Chinese robocall spammer does not fall into that category. Our grandson also started getting the calls within a couple of days of joining Plusnet mobile (last week) so there is presumably some Plusnet security loophole that the spammer has found. Even though the calls all seem to be coming from different UK mobile phone numbers, the answerphone message indicates that they are all coming from the Far East and from the same number. Whilst I am typing this reply (on a PC) I have had yet another automated call and a voicemail (11:09 am 13th August) so my hope that the spammer had moved on was misjudged. I will give this until my next monthly billing cycle to be resolved and if Plusnet is not able to track down the robotic caller then, sadly, I will have to move to another network. Thank you for your response. If the loophole is fixed then please let me know. Many thanks.

Matty_b
Dabbler

Yes... But... T.P.S. won't stop scammers, who have no respect for the law anyway...

At least though, I've had some sort of acknowledgement from PN in your reply...

It's a pity I've not had a reply to my PM, or my Facebook messenger message yet.. (Was a bit rude IMO)

Oh, 2 more (auto rejected to voicemail) calls in the last hour or so..

One I tried to call back, and the number is unavailable (IE spoofed)

Same robocall recorded Chinese nonsense left as message

Networks have the technology to block spoofed numbers at a low level CSID level ... why not?
Howard_BB
Dabbler

Matty_b Please keep me updated via this community page. My new billing period starts on 2nd September and it needs to be resolved by then if I am to remain with Plusnet mobile.