cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charges for recieving texts while roaming outside europe

mdl

Charges for recieving texts while roaming outside europe

Hi,

I'm about to go travel for 6 months outside of Europe. I've got a dual SIM phone so i'm planning on buying a local SIM for data etc in the places i'm living (mainly Canada and NZ).

I was wondering what the plusnet charges are for receiving texts internationally are? I can see charges for sending texts but not sure about receiving? I need to be able to still receive texts for banking and work related stuff and i don't want to be charged a horrendous amount.

https://www.plus.net/help/mobile/roaming-and-international-calls/

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Charges for recieving texts while roaming outside europe

I'm pretty sure that receiving texts is free anywhere, you usually get sent a text when your phone initially connects in any new country, so it would be a bit much to charge you for that!

But you're right, it doesnt make that clear in the price guide

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @mdl,

You won't get charged for receiving texts, but you'll need to be careful that it isn't an MMS and changed to roaming data because then you will get charged for the MMS data.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

On Android you can disable MMS auto retrieval from the Messaging settings. Not sure how/if there is a similar setting on iPhone. Disabling that and data roaming should stop most unexpected charges.

@mdl However, there is the 4g ghost data bug, which can cause small data charges each day, so make sure 4g is disabled on the sim slot with the PN sim

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.