cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged despite mobile data being turned off and 0 data usage.

Hooked

Charged despite mobile data being turned off and 0 data usage.

Hi, on the 7th Feb I was warned I had gone over my data allowance and would be charged £1.50 for that day. No problem, I turned off mobile data on my iPhone and awaited the 10th when my bundle would refresh.

Today (9th Feb) I've received notifications that I've reached my smart cap. Thankfully that was only set at £2 Smiley I checked my account online and can see no itemised charges (although the bill amount is set to £2). Called up support and they confirmed I'd reached my smart cap due to data charges occurring today. 

Checked my phone, mobile data is still switched off (as is MMS). My data usage is shown as 0 (since I reset the statistics on the 7th after turning mobile data off).

Support quickly removed the 50p charge, but were unable to explain why the charge had occurred. I'm thankful I had the smart cap as otherwise I could have been charged much more. 

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to why the charge took place? I managed through the 8th Feb without a problem so why today? The fact that I can be charged without explanation makes me want to move to another provider.

Thanks for reading.

4 REPLIES 4
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Re: Charged despite mobile data being turned off and 0 data usage.

Use of mobile data when turned off is a known problem with iphones.

See post #7 of:

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2244941/roming-data-use-when-data-roaming-and-data-are-disa...

horacethefrog

Exactly the same has happened to me this weekend, and I do not have an iPhone, it's a Nexus 5 Android phone.  Worse still, Plusnet do not respond to queries within their 24 hour declared response time.  I bought a data bolt on more than 24 hours ago and it's still not showing on my account, meantime by bill is increasing at £1.50 a day without using any data..  Pretty shabby Plusnet.

Hooked

Thanks for both replies. Glad to know it’s not just me then! The only other evidence around it being an iPhone problem I could find was looking back to ios8 days and that bug has been long fixed (it also showed up as >0bytes data used in the stats, which wasn’t the case here). It didn’t happen again yesterday anyway so at least that’s something.
CharlieRobinson
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 2

Hi 48497761 and horacethefrog,

Sorry for the delay in my response! We've been a little busy over all platforms this week, but I'll be happy to look into this for you both. For now, I'm afraid I don't have an answer to the charges you've incurred, but as the account's usages are fed back directly from the SIM, taking a look at your accounts will be a good place to start.

If you'd both like to send me a PM with your account details, I can begin to investigate.

- Charlie